Brewer Fanatic

Ned Yost new manager of Kansas City Royals

Invader3K

I agree with that Teatoe993 had to say. Yost is a great fit for a bad team.

He's got a great passion for the game and tries to back his players and wants them to be more successful than they really are, sometimes to a fault. With a team of journeymen and young guys that's really not a problem because the main thing you're trying to do is play competitive baseball and get the most out of the guys you have.

Where Yost got into trouble with the Brewers is he had players who were obviously better than the guys he kept throwing out there, but he believed in those guys so much (see: Mench, Kevin; Turnbow, Derrick) he didn't want to give up on them.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Career suicide.

Bad manager + Bad team = Yost's last managerial job

He would have been better off biding his time until a team with talent was dumb enough to think Milwaukee made the playoffs in 2008 because of him and not in spite of him.

i'd take Ned. Ned's decisions ruin individual games, where I see Macha's irresponsible use of the bullpen and handling of younger players as season-killers.

anybody see Macha as the next guy to go? and then what about Sveum? it seems clear that MA doesn't want an internal candidate for the manager's job, and so be it, but do you offer the interim manager job to Sveum again? and would it be a personal insult if Sveum wasn't offered the interim job?

Honestly I would rather have Yost, he's much better with young talent than Macha is, and this team is going to need significant contributions from young talent. As I previously said, Macha is the first Brewer manager I truly despised... ever... so I'd pretty much take anyone over him other than Royster who obviously so over matched by the position I just couldn't get upset at him.

I think Ned is a good hire for KC, and if he learned anything upon reflection of his time in Milwaukee he'll be a better manager for them than he was for us.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I liked 'Treb a lot. Phil never did much for me. I was down with the Nedness in '03 but was ready for a change when the change occured. I have no bone to pick with Ken, but would much perfer Dale. I sort of like one of "our guys" being at the helm. For what that's worth.

I can't wait for the first "Zacky pitched great" sound bite or the first 360 F-Bomb when they're getting blown out by a team from the AL East.
You might be heartened to know that when Madison's WISC-TV reported this story Thursday night, the clip they showed of Ned was a 360 F-bomb.

(I truly believe the channel 3 sports staff dislikes the Brewers, but that's another topic.)

How awesome would it be if Ned could get the Royals to take Soup? After all, who is more familiar with how "great" he can "pitch"? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Good luck Ned. It seems that a lot of people forgot all about Garner, Lopes and Royster and the gigantic sinkhole that the Brewers represented in the standings during their managerial stints. The teams under Yost got me interested in Brewer baseball again; I dared to think that we were more then a last place team. Yes, Yost is limited as a manager: he is stubborn, and a little too gritty-battling-gamer for my tastes. He IS a good motivater, and he believes in his people. I know that it will take more then hope and motivation for the Royals (like talent), but Yost is a good manager to start moving them away from the bottom.

I agree with the sentiment that Yost is good for a team like the Royals. He will function as a stopgap while they develop the potential and the unknown quantities.

Ultimately, he's the Moses of managing; he's meant to make your team survive the desert, not take them to the promised land.

I felt like Yost was over his head when he got the job, and even years later I still felt the same. The man just exuded vulnerability and incompetence, and his decision making was some of the most baffling, frustrating stuff I'd ever seen. Almost purposely contrarian. "It goes against all logic and common sense, but this'll show them that I'm a genius!" He just seemed really, really unintelligent and foolish.

I feel the team is in better hands with Macha. Slow and patient, but at least I sense that there's a brain working under the surface and not just monkeys picking fleas off each other.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Invader3K]Anyone know if Yost is going to get a press conference? I have to admit I'm somewhat anxious to hear from him again after him basically being gone from the game for the past season.
From what I heard, Yost wasn't in Kansas City yesterday when the team announced the news, but he's expected to be at the helm today. Maybe we'll hear some pre-game comments from him today.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm not crazy about Macha (at all), but I think some here may either be caught up in the current frustrations or just forgot how bad Ned was in 2008. Horrendous bullpen management, ignoring platoon stats, getting caught up in detrimental beanball wars, snapping at harmless questions (not that it matters how a manager handles the media, except it showed he was on edge). He couldn't handle the pressure of managing a good team. Sure, there won't be pressure in Kansas City, but what's the point then?

I'd take Macha, or just about anyone, over Yost in a heartbeat.

Archived