Brewer Fanatic

anyone else seeing big changes ahead? Latest: Mark A says Melvin is going to be here a long time, Macha will not be fired Monday

BREWCREW5
Community Moderator

I think we can all agree that Melvin has been far better than Taylor or Bando but that doesnt mean he shouldnt be replaced.

But I think we can all also agree that if he's fired, they'd better make sure they have an option lined up that is a legitimate improvement rather than making a change just to make a change. That can work with managers, but with GM's it could cripple a franchise.

If Terry Ryan expresses interest, fine. If we're looking at a retread, why bother?

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We could do far worse than Melvin so I agree that if there isnt a clear upgrade we shouldnt make a move. Kevin Towers is a guy that would be a clear downgrade in my opinion. The Padres minor league system has been bad for many years and Towers is responsible for that.

Mike Arbuckle would be the perfect candidate to replace Melvin. Arbuckle was the man responsible for drafting the core of the Phillies championship teams. He drafted Utley, Howard, Rollins and Hamels and quit when he was passed over for Ruben Amaro. Arbuckle is an asst in KC now and would love a GM job.

This guy seems like a great prospect and should be high on the list when and if Melvin goes.

Community Moderator

Arbuckle is an asst in KC now and would love a GM job.

I know he's just an adviser and not calling the shots, but I'm hesitant to want anything to do with someone associated with the train wreck in Kansas City under Moore....

Arbuckle is an asst in KC now and would love a GM job.

I know he's just an adviser and not calling the shots, but I'm hesitant to want anything to do with someone associated with the train wreck in Kansas City under Moore....

He hasnt been in KC long and Moore was dopey way before Arbuckle became an advisor. Arbuckle has a great track record drafting stars for the Phillies and that should remove any doubts about him. The truth is there is risk with any potential new GM. Dayton Moore was very highly regarded when KC hired him and he has turned out to be a complete train wreck as a GM.

Mike Arbuckle would be the perfect candidate to replace Melvin. Arbuckle was the man responsible for drafting the core of the Phillies championship teams. He drafted Utley, Howard, Rollins and Hamels and quit when he was passed over for Ruben Amaro. Arbuckle is an asst in KC now and would love a GM job.

This guy seems like a great prospect and should be high on the list when and if Melvin goes.

I like your two suggestions (White too), bklyn. Thanks for pointing those guys out.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Bando and perhaps Taylor may have been lost causes but we also have to remember that Melvin is the only GM to have the benefit of an owner who is willing to competitively spend money.

A huge disadvantage for Taylor, Bando, etc. So we aren't exactly comparing apples to apples. Taylor got us a better farm system in hiring Jack Z....Bando just sucked regardless of the owner's pocketbook.

As I have thought about this, I fully expect that Dale Sveum or Done Money will be managing the team when they take the field on May 25th. While I see no real compelling reason Macha should be fired, I see no real compelling reason to keep him either. Therefore, if you are Melvinassio, change for change sake is a rather risk fee move. They will be looking at 2 months before the trade deadline, and that gives them ample time to see what they can do before potentially having to make a decision on Fielder. Continuing to flounder during that time without at least trying to do something would be a disservice to the team and the fans, potentially beyond this season.

Community Moderator

Arbuckle has a great track record drafting stars for the Phillies and that should remove any doubts about him.

But the same was said about Jack Z, who has been very disappointing thus far in Seattle. Small sample, I know.

I think we can all agree that Melvin has been far better than Taylor or Bando but that doesnt mean he shouldnt be replaced.
It is also important to note that comparing Melvin to his predecessors is not an apples to apples comparison. Relative to the rest of the league, he has been given a lot more money to work with.

Edit: My apologies, sweepcc. I missed your post where you said pretty much the exact same thing.

Arbuckle has a great track record drafting stars for the Phillies and that should remove any doubts about him.

But the same was said about Jack Z, who has been very disappointing thus far in Seattle. Small sample, I know.

Has Jack Z really been disappointing? I feel he made some great value signings last off-season. This year, he made a great trade for Lee and a very good signing in Figgins.

Community Moderator

The Lee trade will be largely a waste of three good prospects with their lack of competitiveness since he's shown no interest in re-signing so far.

Considering that they were predicted by a lot of people to be competing for that division this year, I think it's fair to say that the results have been disappointing thus far.

I cant explain why Jack Z hasnt done well so far. I hated the Figgins signing and didnt understand why he would go into the season thinking that the Mariners lineup would be anything other than awful. Just goes to show that you never know what you are hiring as a first time GM until they are on the job.

The Lee trade will be largely a waste of three good prospects with their lack of competitiveness since he's shown no interest in re-signing so far.

But they knew going into the trade that Lee was 100% committed to hitting FA (that was the reason Philly was looking to move him). It was a move done exclusively with contending in mind, and iirc the thinking from the Mariners was that the three prospects they gave up for him were roughly equal to the two likely comp picks they'll get for him walking.

I don't disagree that, based on some pundits' picks, you can call the year disappointing so far. I just don't think the move was a waste of prospects, as Z seemed to have a plan heading into it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Release Hoffman now. While you're at it, fire Macha. Fire Peterson. Release Vargas. Release Suppan. Fire Melvin. Bring up Braddock. Bring up Smith. Pick a closer among Villanueva, Smith, Braddock or Axford.

Macha should be fired for letting Hoffman pitch to Votto. Where was Stetter?

Archived