Brewer Fanatic

anyone else seeing big changes ahead? Latest: Mark A says Melvin is going to be here a long time, Macha will not be fired Monday

BREWCREW5

When most of the staff has average to below average stuff they also have to rely heavily on defense which has been flat out pitiful as well.

When you add up finesse staff plus below average defense at almost every position on the diamond you tend to have bad results. Is it really surprising to anyone that older finesse pitchers playing in front of a bad defensive club is a situation that was doomed to fail from the start.

I think this is a very good point. Merge that with WarningTrackPower's mention that Melvin has brought in pitchers that have all performed worse after becoming Brewers than they did prior to becoming Brewers, and I think we have found our one common factor... Defense. The Brewers have really seemed to value big bat / poor glove guys, and this has to have a very negative effect on the pitching staff, both in number of runs scored and in the number of pitches thrown due to the extra base runners that should have been outs.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My point is and has been that the entire rotation other than Gallardo are all finesse pitchers that rely on location to be successful. These guys are all nibblers which cause high pitch counts and lack of innings pitched. It goes way beyond how hard they throw. Doug Davis for example has always walked tons of guys because he is afraid to be aggressive knowing that he doesnt have the pure stuff to challenge hitters on a regular basis. When most of the staff has average to below average stuff they also have to rely heavily on defense which has been flat out pitiful as well.

When you add up finesse staff plus below average defense at almost every position on the diamond you tend to have bad results. Is it really surprising to anyone that older finesse pitchers playing in front of a bad defensive club is a situation that was doomed to fail from the start.

Yes, some legit power arms would certainly help. However, it's a CHOICE to sit there and nibble around the plate. Plenty of pitchers without a power fastball choose to attack the hitters rather than work from behind constantly. There's not one pitcher on the Brewers staff that attacks hitters. Maybe Coffey and Villanueva, but certainly none of the starters do. Bush used to but that trait has left him as well. I've stated this elsewhere before, but it really drives me crazy. Just throw more strikes. That won't make up for lack of talent but starters will get through more innings and limit big innings on a more consistent basis. I'm starting to wonder if this is an organizational/coaching problem.

I'm ready to trade anybody not named Braun, Gallardo, Escobar, Weeks, McGehee and Gomez. Everyone else is fair game, bring up some of the kids from the farm. If we are gonna lose and spin in mediocrity I would rather watch young players that might be part of our future.

I'm just sick and tired of this crap.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

One adage from Billy Beane that I always liked was that he believes you should either be winning or rebuilding. There is no benefit in fielding a mediocre team. While it's still early, if this team doesn't start stringing together some wins it's time to consider building for the future. (I still have some hope!)

I'm ready to trade anybody not named Braun, Gallardo, Escobar, Weeks, McGehee and Gomez. Everyone else is fair game, bring up some of the kids from the farm. If we are gonna lose and spin in mediocrity I would rather watch young players that might be part of our future.

I'm just sick and tired of this crap.

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth. This has been sad to watch lately. Something needs to happen soon.

So, we should start a pool:

Don Money

Willie Randolph

Dale Svuem

Longshot candidates, but great PR:

Paul Molitor

Robin Yount

Not-gonna-happens, but people always bring up their names:

Bobby Valentine

Davey Johnson

Dark Horse:

Pat Listach (no reason other than former Brewer with minor league managing accolades)

My pick: Sentimentality says Money or Svuem, but I have a feeling they go with Randolph

Community Moderator
I would like to see the entire management fired if they decide to make a move--Melvin, Ash, Macha, Randolph, Peterson, etc. Sveum is the only exception since he is more of a "Brewers" guy than a "Macha/Melvin" guy.

If I'm Attanasio and things don't dramatically turn around by June 1, I'd fire Melvin, Macha, Randolph and Peterson. I'd name Ash as interim GM, then I'd bring in Don Money to manage, Bosio as pitching coach, move Sveum up to bench coach and find a hitting coach somewhere.

I am ready for big change and I'd prefer to go with Briggs' plan. Attanasio should begin search for his GM and Ash should be gone in a few months.

So, we should start a pool:

Don Money

Willie Randolph

Dale Svuem

Longshot candidates, but great PR:

Paul Molitor

Robin Yount

Not-gonna-happens, but people always bring up their names:

Bobby Valentine

Davey Johnson

Dark Horse:

Pat Listach (no reason other than former Brewer with minor league managing accolades)

My pick: Sentimentality says Money or Svuem, but I have a feeling they go with Randolph

I would like them to hire none of the above. Don't hire a manager another team fired. You are just going to get the same crappy mistakes Yost and Macha make.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

RayKingsForemanGrill]
logan3825 wrote:

I would like them to hire none of the above. Don't hire a manager another team fired. You are just going to get the same crappy mistakes Yost and Macha make.

Just to clarify - it's not a preference. It's just what I think is going to happen.
I would have to agree especially if Melvin is still around. We will have to hire a "baseball guy." ugh

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't have a good explanation as to why but for some reason I like Davey Johnson, must be my prospect side shining through.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

As much as I want to, I don't see changes at all. Unless Mark A. cleans house completely.

Melvin has shown a complete aversion to managerial changes. And to be honest, I'm not sure anyone can win with the hand Macha has been dealt.

You have a rotation of soft tossing finesse pitchers. You have a bullpen of aging arms who have had to throw a ton of innings. And you have a beer league offense that only knows how to hit home runs. Bunting runners over, taking extra bases, advancing runners, all foreign concepts to these guys. They can't manufacture a run to save their lives. I absolutely hate their approach.

I don't think I've disliked a baseball team more, to be honest. I don't like the way the team is built at all.

Im not up on who the up and coming general manager candidates are. (Dont think baseball america has covered that lately). Often teams go for the #2 man from successful organizations. Several former Red Sox front office guys have landed elsewhere, the phillies already promoted their #2 guy, and the former Cardinals GM is in Cincy. Dean Taylor probably got noticed 'cause the Braves won so many division titles. It looks like the Melvin era is generally a failure, and they should start over. I would assume this will happen after the season, so that ticket sales dont drop too far for next year. Its all about giving the fans that false hope that they could contend.

Melvin era is generally a failure?

The Bando era was a failure. I'm not happy either right now, but this era has been generally successful for a small market team. Step away from the ledge people.

Two seasons of over .500! One playoff appearance. Thats successful? Ok, I get it, small market teams will never compete. Small market teams will never compete.... I have to keep repeating that to myself, because Im one of the idiots that buys tickets and watches games thinking they can.

Two seasons of over .500! One playoff appearance. Thats successful? Ok, I get it, small market teams will never compete. Small market teams will never compete.... I have to keep repeating that to myself, because Im one of the idiots that buys tickets and watch games thinking they can.

Considering the joke of a franchise that Melvin inherited, it certainly was a success. If you're hoping for a perennial playoff team you aren't going to be happy with the next GM, or the next...

I almost choked on my dessert when I read that the "Melvin era was generally a failure." Do people remember what baseball was like here before DM? The guy has made some mistakes, but until I see us losing 100 games or throwing John Vander Wal out in the clean-up spot, I will consider quotes like the one above to be totally wrong-headed.

Archived