Brewer Fanatic

anyone else seeing big changes ahead? Latest: Mark A says Melvin is going to be here a long time, Macha will not be fired Monday

BREWCREW5

I think both Macha and Peterson will be fired on Monday. Randolph will be promoted to manager. A pitching coach from the minors will likely be promoted to the big league club.

I think Melvin is on very thin ice but Mark A won't make that change until the off-season

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dale gets along with the players just fine but he is in love with small ball as he showed two years ago. I realize most managers are inept but Sveum and even more so Randolph are not upgrades over Macha. Attanassio is almost surely gonna want Randolph since he grew up in New York as a yankees fan and probably liked Willie as a player.
I keep hearing this 'small ball' complaint about Sveum, but what people are conveniently forgetting that when he took over the club, they were barely scoring any runs. I just looked it up, and for the 14 games that Yost managed in September, the Brewers scored a TOTAL of 38 runs- only hitting five once. That's barely 2.5 runs per game- absolutely pathetic. Why not try to manufacture some runs if your offense is that bad? It's not like you can sit back and wait for the team to string together 3-4 hits or be ripping doubles and homers. When you have the rare occaision of getting a guy on base, why not move him over, so you only need one hit to score a run?

After that first inning tonight, were I Melvinassio, I would have Peterson on the first flight back to Milwaukee (and I might consider putting Macha in the seat next to him). That's not because of Bush's pitching performance (although that, along with the rest of the staff is part of it), but the guy was drowning out there in more ways than one, and the Mad Scientist couldn't even be troubled to go out and talk to him? Go out and give him a chance to catch his breath? Offer some advice? Slow things down a little? At the very least, give the reliever a little extra time, so Bush can face one less batter. I realize the game was pretty much already over by that point, but still, That was embarrassing for the Brewer organization, and that guy needs to be gone.

Macha may not be a great manager but there isn't a person in this universe that could win with this rotation. Look at the horrifying ERAs of our opening day rotation:

Gallardo: 2.89

Wolf: 5:10

Davis: 7.56

Bush: 5.59

Suppan: 6.84

Is it really Peterson's fault though? Here are the ERAs of our opening day starters from last year:

Gallardo: 3.79

Parra: 6.36

Suppan: 5.29

Looper: 5.22

Bush: 6.38

Macha and Peterson are not the only problems here.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they are. They sure don't seem to be helping much though. When things are this bad (and they are that bad), you almost have to do something.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they are. They sure don't seem to be helping much though. When things are this bad (and they are that bad), you almost have to do something.

I understand what you are saying and agree with your post regarding Peterson and Macha being fired ASAP. My only issue is how many managers does Melvin get to fire before people acknowledge the fact that he has created a team that is completely void of legitimate Major League pitching?

understand what you are saying and agree with your post regarding Peterson and Macha being fired ASAP. My only issue is how many managers does Melvin get to fire before people acknowledge the fact that he has created a team that is completely void of legitimate Major League pitching?
I often wonder if people are just in denial regarding Melvin because they like the job he did turning around the franchise? Instead of being objective about the entire body of work there always seems to be an excuse in these arguments. There was no to know player X was going to fall off, Z didn't draft enough pitching, and so on. Melvin has a done a great many good things, but he's also had some very poor moves, and his inaction regarding the organization's pitching issues should be grounds for dismissal on it's own. He's had 8 seasons and while he immediately upgraded the rotation to league average, he hasn't done anything permanent since. I won't even get in to how badly he's missed in FA other than to say it's really sad when Jason Kendell is our 2nd best FA acquisition.

Melvin is ultimately responsible for franchise, that's the bottom line as far as I'm concerned. Is spending 90 million to be below .500 acceptable? Should it be in the league's smallest market? This whole situation reminds of that kind of dream where something is coming at you but your feet move in slow motion and you aren't able to get out of the way. This dilemma was entirely predictable, I started posting about it in 2008 and unfortunately I'm not able to see into the future, I was just honest with myself and objective about the state of the rotation and pitching within the organization. I've crapped on every single trade and FA signing in what seems like forever, it's literally no fun being this frustrated with my favorite team. We just needed 1 maybe 2 impact pitchers to team up with Yo and we could have made a serious run, and we had the ammunition to make those deals along the way but went a different route. I still firmly believe that Melvin traded away multiple playoff appearances for a single chance at the playoffs and thank god the Mets collapsed for a second straight year or we wouldn't have anything to show for this first wave of talent at all.

It's truly depressing when I let myself think about it, I had convinced myself we had enough positional talent assembled to make a legit run at a WS, but we were lucky to scrape into the playoffs once. Usually I distract myself on the Minor League forum on days like this but the pitching was so bad tonight on the minor league as well that there's nothing positive to post over there either. I think I'll take out some frustration on some poor saps in MW2.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm usually not one for jumping on the fire the manager wagon. But after tonights first inning I cannot see how any player can have any kind of respect for Macha. When that umpire went after bush it took macha a long time to get out there to say a couple of words to him. If that was me, and my team is on the ropes, I am running as fast as I can out to the ump as soon as I see him going after my player. To me the fact that he was not out there right away and didn't give that ump an ear full until he got ran is beyond me. I actually hate when managers like pinella go out there and make a joke of themselves, but if there was ever a time to do it tonight was it. To me that is the greatest example of this team doesn't have macha's back nor does he have theirs.

and his inaction regarding the organization's pitching issues should be grounds for dismissal on it's own.

I don't think "inaction" is the right word to use. Signing Wolf (2007-2009 ERA of 3.95), Davis (4.22), Hawkins (3.14), resigning Hoffman (2.82), and stocking AAA with Estrada, Loe, and Lofgren is not what I would call "inaction". Now, so far the major league portion of those players have been poor choices (and the AAA players very good), but "inaction" is not accurate. You could also argue that letting go of Cameron to free up the salary to bring in Wolf and Davis could also be considered "action" to address the organization's pitching issues.

I disagreed with Wolf and Davis simply because they were left-handed in a division stocked with right-handed bats. I advocated Joel Piniero because he is a righty, and while he hasn't been great this year he has been slightly better than Wolf and a lot better than Davis. But the point is that Melvin did quite a bit to address the pitching issues, they just have not been good decisions so far.

I agree with TheCrew07 that this team's failures fall squarely on Doug Melvin. You can't put it on Hoffman, Doug Davis, LaTroy Hawkins, Jeff Suppan, etc. as individuals because the entire pitching staff is garbage. The fact is Doug Melvin has never focused on building a farm system strong on pitching prospects nor has he or his staff scouted well enough to find starting pitchers in free agency that have made a noteworthy impact on the team.

Melvin has been given the opportunity over Attanasio's first few years as owner to right the ship and I believe that leash is going to be cut very soon. An owner can only see history repeat itself so many times before he gets so frustrated that he pulls the trigger himself (ie. Ned getting canned just before the end of the season). Failure to assemble even an "average" pitching staff for 2 straight years is inexcusable and fresh blood may be necessary to take this team to the next level. That is one of the reasons why I want no part of Dale Sveum as manager. He's rehashed Ned and I don't want to see Gantner, Yount, and the old cronies assemble in the dugout to form a Brewers 1980's reunion party as a part of his staff. This season is turning out to be one of the most disappointing seasons in recent memory for this team and Melvin's luck is running out.

This season is turning out to be one of the most disappointing seasons in recent memory

For me, that was last season. This season is not simply disappointing. It's more like hanging out at a graveyard, at night, in the winter. It makes you realize just how cold and scary the world is...

Melvin has done a good job of turning around and rebuilding the franchise. However, I think it's time for a new set of eyes. The approach toward bringing in pitching has fallen flat. Bring in someone who will look at the players that we have and turn this into a World Series contending team. As for Macha, it's obvious that he's not connecting with the players. If you're working for a boss you don't like, do you always put in maximum effort?

...the Mad Scientist couldn't even be troubled to go out and talk to him? Go out and give him a chance to catch his breath? Offer some advice? Slow things down a little? At the very least, give the reliever a little extra time, so Bush can face one less batter. I realize the game was pretty much already over by that point, but still, That was embarrassing for the Brewer organization, and that guy needs to be gone.

I was wondering about that too, the only thing I could think of was that there was a visit that I did not notice during or after the altercation with the umpire. It appears that was the case from this story: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j2cko85-RTUlKROiTqlF6LA99FTgD9FRKO500

Rapuano actually approached the mound to angrily confront Bush, who was held back by teammate Prince Fielder. Pitching coach Rick Peterson came out to talk to Bush, who promptly served up a sharp two-run single to Kubel.

So the big question is, if Macha and Melvin should be replaced, who are the better options out there? I agree both should be gone, but my concern is will their replacements be any better with what's out there?

Macha sure seemed like a man resigned to the notion that he will be unemployed come Monday in his post game presser last night. He was even more befuddled than usual.

I'm sure I am in the minority here, but at least for the remainder of the year I want Sveum to get the job. At the very least he seems to have the players respect and should be able to get max effort out of them eventhough we aren't going any where. Plus I think he's done a pretty darn good job as hitting coach. I do not want Willie but fear that is who it will be...

I'm sure I am in the minority here, but at least for the remainder of the year I want Sveum to get the job.
I agree, if a change is made, (I can't believe I am saying this) I would choose Sveum over Randolph. Actually, I would take a long look at Don Money.

I thought I had heard that Money prefers working with the minor leaguers. Not sure if that is true or not, though.

I could certainly see that, and I have no idea if he'd be worth a damn, but I would hope he is at least in the discussion.

Archived