Brewer Fanatic

Brewer Uniform Idea

The '90s colors essentially are today's colors with a tweak to the gold and with green as a 3rd color. I liked the addition of the green and I'm 100% of the mind that it's a better 3rd-color option than the "brick" that's now an official color. (The only place that's even in the logo is the seams of the baseball -- DUMB!!! and, not to mention, the most boring and unoriginal idea EVER).

I hated losing the ball/glove MB logo at the time beyond all belief, but I thought the new '94 unis & colors represented a nice modern update. At the time they were pretty fresh & cool. Only Oakland had green as a color, so it was a very new-ish thought. The overlapping M & B could've been done a bit differently to look less like "Motre Bame," as SI noted in their preview issue that year. But I thought (and still think) Navy & Gold were a MUCH stronger color combination & team representation than royal blue & yellow -- blah!

I kind of miss that green, but I think the classy look of the current uniforms may well work better without a 3rd color.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the current unis. The logo and color scheme are solid. I would like to see "Milwaukee" across all the road unis, not just the blue one.

I also like the ball and glove stuff. Not just because it reminds me of the past (although I am a child of that era). I think the design is unique, creative and timeless. The color scheme is dated, but the logo is cool.

The 1990's MB logo was complete crap. Horrible logo, colors and even worse teams. I am going through significant hours of therapy to get those unis out of my head!

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_1989_milwaukee.gif

Like I have stated on this thread, I think a shift back to these (obviously with a button-up shirt and minus the ridiculous belts & stirups) is the right choice for the franchise (The away uniform is supposed to be gray). This is the quintessential Brewers uniform. Connects the past to the present for the nostalgic types (not me) and makes good on the use of the ball and glove as desired by so many. It still blows me away they haven't made the ball and glove the main logo again yet.

This would be the only acceptable uniform change to me. Give me the old 80s uniforms or keep the current ones and go with those for the forseeable future.

For whatever it's worth, Drew Olson has remarked repeatedly that the current players hate the throwback uniforms. I don't think you'll see them go back to the pinstripe look.
I've heard this too. Sounds a little too much like the Minnesota Vikings with the inmates running the asylum to me. I doubt Attanasio would turn his head away from a permanent switch to the old uniforms if it proved to be the preferred choice of the fans, as well as better to the bottom line.

I'm guessing another reason they haven't gone back to the old logo is because now they can sell a bunch of new and old logo gear. If they go back to the old one, I don't see them selling tons of the current logo gear, as people wouldn't be nostalgic for it.

I could see them going to an alternate hat with the retro logo in the current color scheme. That would be pretty cool. dlk makes a good point that they can probably make more money having essentially two different sets of merchandise to sell.

WTP, I don't think it's exactly like the Vikings. Apparently the current players got a bit tired of the '82 team 25th anniversary hoopla in 2007. They want to win and create their own legacy with the current team and look. At least that's the impression I've gotten from Olson talking about this on the D-List.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I could see them going to an alternate hat with the retro logo in the current color scheme. That would be pretty cool. dlk makes a good point that they can probably make more money having essentially two different sets of merchandise to sell.

WTP, I don't think it's exactly like the Vikings. Apparently the current players got a bit tired of the '82 team 25th anniversary hoopla in 2007. They want to win and create their own legacy with the current team and look. At least that's the impression I've gotten from Olson talking about this on the D-List.

Yet another idea whose time has come. If the current players hate the pinstripes and the financials don't add up to change uniforms, at least bring back the ball and glove in navy and gold and designate it as the home or away cap.

I love the current M/barley/state secondary logo a TON, and TONS & TONS better than the M/state logo of the early '70s.

But I'd also like to see the ball/glove logo come back in today's colors as a permanent right sleeve patch.

I think I'd also like to see the retro alternates go and to see the Brewers come up w/ a different alternate that blends strong/unique points of the past (like the MB ball/glove logo and even something like the thick & multiple-row end-of-sleeve stripes of the Pilots' road & 1970 Brewers unis) and the present (current colors, especially). This is what I was really hoping for when they unveiled the retros 4 or 5 years back. I found that full-blown retro decision and the resulting uniforms EXTREMELY disappointing.

(FWIW, I "woke up" to baseball at age 10 in the dawn of the Harry Dalton era, so I lived through the "classic era" with its ugly powder blues the first time 'round and DON'T want to see those monstrocities ever return -- OR the cartoon-esque, softball-style large "Milwaukee" of the ball/glove era road uniforms. Yuck.)

Warning Track,

Your avatar pic is probably my favorite Brewers logo. Basically the Milwaukee Braves logo in Brewers colors. I love simple, timeless baseball logos. The Indians "C" hat comes to mind as well. I wouldn't mind seeing some super simple uniforms with that block M in the current blue and gold, and using the 93 Yount era road jersey "Milwaukee"script in the modern colors.

That would be awesome.

You guys hit it on the head, that's exactly why they don't go back to the retro logo. 2 logos make more money than one. Almost every team is doing it, even the NFL the last couple years.

The only problem with the ball/glove logo is that it's a retro logo. If the team brought it back full time, it would cease being retro and it's connotations to the 82 team would fade away.
Which I would be ok with because I think way too many people overestimate the nostalgia related to the "glory days" and the ball and glove. Most people I know don't care about the glory years and how it's related to that logo. It's just a timeless good logo that people prefer to the new one. They aren't saying the new one is bad, but it fails in comparison to the ball and glove. Count me in this camp.

And by the way, why the hate for the royal blue and yellow? I love that scheme. The blue and yellow were unique to the Brewers in MLB. I hate the shimmery gold on the current set. Reminds me of when Ron Wolf contemplated changing the Packers yellow to actual gold. Best idea ever to not change the yellow to gold.

EDIT: Didn't mean to switch up the avatar on you Brewcrew...just thought it ironic to post with my comment above. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

• 1 month later...

If I can't get a total uniform rehaul, I am all for changing the shimmery gold on the current uniform to the yellowish gold that is in the new Miller Park sign. That's a much better looking color than the sparkly one we currently have.

I disagree. Most of the cheap chinese knock-off jerseys have the yellowish color on the jerseys instead of the gold metallic and it looks awful.

• 4 weeks later...
I disagree. Most of the cheap chinese knock-off jerseys have the yellowish color on the jerseys instead of the gold metallic and it looks awful.
(Sorry to continually bring this up guys but I am on a mission to get some changes to the uniform)

Do you have a picture of this cheap knockoff? Because this is what I think would look awesome. Looking specifically at the Brewers across the chest is what I would love to see the Brewers do. Simple tweak. Darken the navy to almost-but-not-quite black, and add a more golden yellow instead of glitter gold. Get rid of the white outline around Brewers. Look at my avatar. That's the color scheme I would like to see regardless of the uniform be it the current design or the retro stuff. The navy is just a little washed out on the current design. It looks like it's gone through the washer/dryer a few too many times.

Additionally, tweak the script so it is always straight across the chest just like the link above. That's perfect. I have noticed on some jerseys the B in Brewers almost starts at the stomach and S at the end is at the left shoulder whereas some actually are straight. This lack of (pardon the pun) uniformity is ugly. And please get rid of the Times New Roman name and numbers. Go to a more traditional block name and number. Throw the Milwaukee on the gray away and call it a day.

Like I said before, I apologize for constantly bringing this up guys but I think the Brewers uniform needs some tweaks. With a few minor tweaks it could be one of the best in baseball and as it is now, it isn't; and apparently isn't for a lot of other fans who prefer the retro stuff to the current. I wish I was handier with photoshop/graphic design and I would draw some up and submit to the Brewers as a suggestion.

hmm, I actually kind of like the font used on the back of the jerseys for the player names. It's different than everybody else. The numbers, too.

Otherwise, yeah, I could see a darker version of the logo, I guess.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I really like the current color scheme, font for numbers & names, the precise versions of navy & gold used, and most everything else. I think they're clean & classy -- and very "classic" while still being "now."

There's a retro-ish character to WTP's first link that he likes so much, but that doesn't mean it's good. To me, that version & look has all the charm and appeal to me of the boring Cleveland Cavaliers new old-school look -- yuck -- or the bland MN Gophers football uniforms!

(Edit: Just a quick clarification that I'm not critiquing WTP's tastes, just that retro-ish character, which is definitely becoming more visible lately. I meant to say that just because it's becoming more visible doesn't mean it's necessarily good.)

Archived