Brewer Fanatic

Brewer Uniform Idea

Before I start:

Mods: I'm sure this is already in another topic or forum but I couldn't find the most appropriate place. Please move if you feel that is necessary.

Now that that is out of the way, and since I can't talk about the team itself after the beatdown by the Braves I thought I'd keep it on a lighter, although possibly divisive topic.

I love our current uniforms and logo. I think they are both a nice homage to the brewing history of not only Milwaukee but also Wisconsin. These uniforms represent this past greater than other uniform in Brewer history. I also love the ball and glove log, like almost everyone else in the world, Cubs and Cardinals fans included. And while I do enjoy the retro Fridays or Sundays or whichever day they pick next year, I feel it is time to either pick one or the other and really stick to that and move forward with that for the foreseeable future so this logo and scheme can become iconic in the way teams like the Tigers, Yankees or Dodgers uniforms are.

Having said that I believe its really a simple solution and that is to incorporate the ball and glove into the current navy and gold color scheme and wear it with the alternate blue Milwaukee jersey on the road and alternate blue Brewers jersey at home. From my perspective, fans really clamor for the ball and glove design and not necessarily the old pinstripe uniforms. I for one love derflotr's avatar when it turns into the navy and gold ball and glove logo instead of the blue and yellow. I think this really solves the uniform issue for the Brewers. Just my opinion.

Just add Milwaukee to the road greys and I think we are set with the uniform for the forseeable future.

Thoughts?

Just found this on the web: http://www.michaelprincip.com/images/Brewersroad_alt2.jpg Someone thinks along the same lines as I do. Almost exactly what I was thinking of.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the same thing a few years back and I know several others did as well. I think sbrylski had a new color B & G logo as his avatar for a while.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I really wish they would get away from the old logo and retro crap.
I feel that way with the logo and the old yellow and royal blue colors. But if you keep the current colors and uni's and just throw the ball and glove logo on a hat with the current colors I think that would be fantastic. But if they ever decided to scrap the current colors and go back to the old I would very upset.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I really wish they would get away from the old logo and retro crap.
I think you are one of the few. That logo is far too popular to ever go away again. Even if the Brewers were to drastically change their colors and totally redesign their uniforms, I would imagine the ball and glove logo would somehow be incorporated.

My suggestion is a way to ensure this logo is used on a more frequent basis, as well as actually matching our current color scheme. This really does away with the "retro" part of the thing and I would argue that isn't a "retro" logo anymore. It really has become the Brewers unofficial primary logo again as more fans prefer that logo to the current official logo.

The only thing I would do different than the link to the grey uniform and navy and gold ball and logo design I linked in the original post would be to incorporate the ball and glove on the sleeve as well, much like the current retro uniform does.

Community Moderator

I think the "ball and glove" logo is great, but I also like the new uniforms better.

As a younger Brewers fan, the old logo has no sentimental value to me. I'm sure many others feel the same. When the Brewers held the old logo vs. new logo night back in '06 or '07, the old logo won, but it was not a landslide. I thought the team's decision to ditch the retro logos on the last "retro Friday" of 2008 was a great move--I was at that game and I was very excited to see the team embrace the present instead of the past. Of course, I have respect for the 1980s teams, but those uniform colors should stay in the past where they belong (especially the baby blue).

I am open to the idea of incorporating a "ball and glove" logo with new colors. I know Ajay has been advocating for that change for many years. However, I am not sure that it fits with the rest of the new logos. For that reason, I think it is better to keep the new and old logos separate, except for maybe a permanent sleeve patch.

Of course, I have never seen a "professional" version of the old logo with new colors. Maybe I will make one in illustrator tonight and see how it looks.

I say that if we must keep the ball and glove logo on home Fridays change it to the current colors. I think most of us can agree that the old yellow and blue just looks a bit dated. I also know that a few of the current players have been quoted as preferring the modern logo to the ball and glove despite the majority of fans apparently liking the ball and glove. This team has made enough of a name for themselves to get away from the old uniforms.

I'm a bit of a minimalists and thought it would be cool to see just the wheat on the hat and no "M" at all.

I'm getting a little tired of the old logo as well, actually. It was a nice touch for a season, but enough is enough. The only change I want to see is for them to take the gray road jersey and have them say "Milwaukee". I also actually wouldn't mind white hats with blue brims with the alternate blue jerseys and white pants, but I am sure I am the only one there. I think it would look good, but I don't know how to use any programs to see what it would actually look like.

Couple reactions:

- The "retro crap" & the '82 look can go away anytime now.

Please!!! Those times were great (well, partly; '82 was but '84 wasn't, etc.), but they're long gone.

- Cannot take the royal & yellow combo. Disliked it 25-30 years ago & even more so now. Was overjoyed when navy & gold became official in '94.

- Current look is simple, clean, strong, and classy. It's the kind of look that could well last 50 years -- and should. Maybe a little conservative, but that increases its timeless character. ("Flavor of the day" trends AREN'T worth chasing, and no one can possibly suggest the Yankees' uni's (hate the team, uninspired by the duds) as being anything other than simple and boring -- yet they're considered the ultimate timeless look.)

- I dig the current logo much more than the old (which I still love), but would like the old one used as a R sleeve patch in a heartbeat. Keep the M/barley/WI logo on the L sleeve.

Sorry, paul253, but I think white caps look ridiculous.

On a minor note, the "Milwaukee" on the road alts is vertically shorter than the old "Brewers." Looks too scrunched. More narrow was inevitable. But shorter = scrunched = not so clear = not such a strong statement. The Dalton-era "Milwaukee" was comparably wide but sure seemed much taller. I'm okay w/ the script, but the sizing seems wrong. Ultimately, though, I don't care one lick whether the road uni's said "Brewers" or "Milwaukee."

The current logo is pretty boring I think. I'd prefer an updated version of the ball and glove. I have a shirt with the ball and glove with wreath of wheat around it. Kind of looks a little commie but it's cool looking.

Verified Member

Many people around the country believe that the ball-and-glove logo is one of the coolest logos in all of sports. This is one reason why I think the Brewers should officially modernize it and use it permanently again. It would look awesome in today's colors. It is recognizable, it is unique, and it sells.

As for me personally, the ball-and-glove logo definitely brings out more emotion and passion than the "M" on the current hats. For me, it has nothing to do with 1982 either. It is more about having a sense of history, identity, and uniqueness. The Brewers seem more like the real Brewers with that logo on their hats. (If that statement seems confusing, think about the Red Sox without that famous "B" or the Tigers without that famous "D", or the Cardinals without that "STL" logo on their hats . . . It just wouldn't feel the same. Yes, the Brewers have an "M", but it doesn't convey that same feeling of history and tradition)

Verified Member

Of course, I have never seen a "professional" version of the old logo

with new colors. Maybe I will make one in illustrator tonight and see

how it looks.

These are not the greatest quality images, but I have posted these pictures several times in the past. Yes, I know neither player is a Brewer anymore http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/AJAY_02/ModernUniformConcept2.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/AJAY_02/ModernUniformConcept-2.jpg

Community Moderator

I love the new look and have seen it posted on here before. Can this or has this been presented to team officials?

As for the old unis, I love them but wish they'd only pull them out a few times a year. Makes it more exciting!

warning track power, i have been hoping for jersey's like the ones you designed since 01. I think the road alternates are a good start, but I'm hoping they have jerseys like the ones you drew up soon.
I can't take credit for those designs. I found them on the interwebs through use of the google machine.

Reading through this thread, I'm actually quite surprised the Brewers have yet to incorporate the ball and glove logo in navy and gold. Seems to me most fans are over the retro look with the blue and yellow colors and would genuinely like to see the ball and glove updated to be incorporated into the new colors.

Like I said, I am quite surprised we haven't seen this yet. Despite the Brewers small market operation, I've always felt they have had a big market and impressive front office in terms of busines marketing.

AJAY you are absolutely right about the historical value of the ball and glove logo. Even if you are sick of the retro look, the Brewers are identified across the country and throughout the baseball world, by this logo. This situation is similar to the early 90's when the White Sox got rid of the blue and white uniforms and went back to their old black and white pinstripes.

Update it to match the current color scheme and call it a day.

I'm kind of torn on this one. I know people like the old ball and glove logo, and wouldn't mind seeing an alternate hat with it in the current color scheme (which I think looks more classy and modern than the old yellow and blue). I do however, also like the current "M" logo and wouldn't want to see it go away completely.

I can easily see them going to the "Milwaukee" design on the road gray jerseys eventually. That would give them a "new" uniform to sell for a while.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I can't stand teams that are constantly updating their uniforms. The Brewers current uniforms are acceptable. If they wanna incorporate the ball & glove logo back into the new colors, they can do what the Twins did for a few years with their traditional TC logo. Their home cap was the M logo they had been using since the eighties and they used the TC cap for the road games. Or was it vice versa? The one thing I cannot stand with the Brewers uniforms is the typeface they are using for the numerals and names. It looks hideous on the uniforms especially when it's outlined with another color and then drop shadowed with another. It's terrible. Stop trying to be unique because it's just gonna look cheesy, dated and amateurish. Just stick with the traditional block letters and give them a simple outline if you must. If you wanna add in some simple navy piping to the jersey as a small homage to the Milwaukee Braves that'd be fine too. But it really isn't necessary.

hmm, I always liked the numerals and letters font that the Brewers use on their new uniforms. It was different from everybody else's.

Of course, I'd go back to the days of no names on the jerseys, if I could.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I don't like the logo because I "can't let go of the past". I like the logo because it's an awesome logo. I was too young to even remember the early 80s teams; that has nothing to do with it.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My thoughts have always been to sell as much ball in glove merch as possible but keep it off the field. That way the fans who can't seem to let go of the past can buy their tshirts and jerseys while the team can have their own identity.
I understand the thought behind this, but I think this disconnects the fans from the team. The whole point of buying merchandise is to show your passion and connection to the team. What's the point if the logo and design doesn't resemble what the team wears?

I was born in Milwaukee but missed out on 1982 because I lived in Colorado as a child. I didn't move back to Wisconsin until the early 90s and didn't really get into baseball till later. So I don't have any great memories of the Brewer's glory years. Yet, I still prefer the ball and glove logo only because it's visually more appealing. To me it seems that the majority of the people I see in the stands prefer the old logo too. Looking at the age of some of these fans I doubt many of them are hanging on to any kind of glory days by wearing the old stuff. If you ask them, they'll probably just say that they think it looks better than the new stuff.

Archived