Brewer Fanatic

Gomez to DL...Stern called up

dang. i was hoping that 40th roster spot would be awarded to braddock or lucroy, and that for the time being, we could pull from the other 14 players on the major league roster.

stern's not a bad 15th addition.

what happens when they no longer want stern on the 25-man? option(s)? able to outright? is he able to elect free agency if outrighted?

I think they knew all along that Gomez would have to be DL'd. They just waited so Stern could get some AB's because he had just got off the DL himself. I don't believe Stern has options, so when it's time for him to go back down, he'll have to clear waivers and he won't be tying up the 40th roster spot. Another possibility, albeit somewhat remote, is that they'd just let Edmonds go and keep Stern. Frankly, that might be my choice. Edmonds is 3 for 23 with 12 K's this month and looking every bit a guy nearing his 40th birthday.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, Briggs. Edmonds is really looking kind of worn down lately. Of course playing basically every day probably isn't helping.

I've also heard a theory that they are keeping a 40-man spot open for Jeremy Jeffress when his suspension is over, but I don't know if that is reasonable or not.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'd disagree on Edmonds. He was playing well before his injury. He's also put a couple opposite field shots to the wall during that time including last night. I would agree that he's playing too much. He's not an everyday player anymore and if Gomez weren't hurt he'd probably get a few more days off. I wonder if his back is still barking.

I'm with SoCal. Edmonds was fine until his back flared up. We needed to bring up another OF with Gomez and Edmonds hurt. Stern had a great spring and I think he was close to making the team out of ST if Edmonds had "shown his age," and he's been productive at AAA when not injured. That said, he's not a top talent, so he is a player who we could afford to lose when the team is healthy. No need to waste an option and service time on a top prospect. Braun is every day in LF, Gerut/Edmonds will play CF and Stern/Hart in RF with Inglett possibly getting a couple starts. I hope Gomez isn't seriously hurt, but at the same time I hope Gerut is able to make the most of his opportunity. I'm still a believer that given playing time he could be a productive player.

Now, if this goes on for an extended period and Edmonds' back is still giving him problems, then the story may change, and he may need to be let go. I hope that's not the case, as I think someone would trade for Edmonds if he's having a somewhat productive season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

"he was fine until his back flared up".

There's so many lines I could use but I'll resist. I'm sure you could take dozens of ex players in their 40's and with a month of getting ready they could perform quite well for a few weeks. But their bodies would start breaking down sooner rather than later. Look "backs flaring up" and other such maladies are what happens to old players. That his long fly balls to the opposite field are being caught on the track isn't a good sign either. A couple or three years ago, those are gone.

I suppose this is another reason to start Edmonds in CF and leave poor Gerut on the bench.

How Inglett is getting time out there is beyond me.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Why would they keep a spot for Jeffress?
He is too talented to let him be banned from baseball. Once he is on the 40 man roster he could be like Lincecum and get high everyday and not have to worry about it. So if the Brewers don't want to risk losing a young kid who pumps his fastball up into triple digits its a smart move. Agent39 has said he has cleaned up and is focused on baseball but you never know, it only takes one slip up and his career is officially over.

Once he is on the 40 man roster he could be like Lincecum and get high

everyday and not have to worry about it

guess i'm not as familiar with the drug rules. i thought Jeffress just couldn't get caught one more time or he would be out. what difference does it make whether he's on the 40-man or not?

If they're on the 40 man roster they don't get tested for recreational drugs. I believe.

Edit: Found a brief explanation...

Minor league players not on the 40-man roster have been subjected to a

wider form of drug testing since 2001. In addition to steroids testing,

those minor leaguers who are not members of the union are also subjected

to testing for over-the-counter bodybuilding supplements, alcohol and

at least seven "Drugs of Abuse," including cocaine, LSD, marijuana and

heroin. MLB players can be tested for "Drugs of Abuse" only if there is

just cause to do so.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

he could be like Lincecum and get high everyday and not have to worry

about it

Well, like Lincecum, he would still have to worry about being caught and thrown in prison.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

MLB players can be tested for "Drugs of Abuse" only if there is just cause to do so.

That's kind of funny... I'm sure the union wouldn't see getting caught repeatedly over the past few years to be "just cause," and I'm sure the teams wouldn't push it.

Funketown, I heard (read it somewhere, no source) that the Brewers were making a statement to him (and others) by not protecting him. Kind of a "we're not going to let our players do this sort of thing."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived