Brewer Fanatic

Planning to write a book...need your help!

BadgerFan

The Ultimate Sports Fan's Bucket List is coming...

Visit http://theultimatesportsfansbucketlist.blogspot.com to help define the 101 sporting events that all die-hard sports fans must attend at least once in their lifetime.

Visit http://theultimatesportsfansbucketlist.blogspot.com for further details.

Send in your submission and it could be a part of an upcoming book set to be published late 2010!

i didn't see sitting on top of the Green Monster on your list.

for 101 things, i'm guessing you're not holding yourself to just the US:

the Gran Prix in Montreal is supposed to be an amazing time.

i'm sure there's some sorta soccer game in Britain that must be attended.

the infield at the Kentucky Derby

there's probably some famous cricket grounds in India

visiting Field of Dreams

Celtics/Lakers game

I can't believe you didn't put the Indy 500 on there.

That's the tough thing about making a list like this, everyone has different ideas on what should be there.

The Indy 500 (or any car race) wouldn't make my top 1000 and that's what makes these non-personal lists difficult.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I'm not a soccer "fan" as such, but the big matches aren't even a game, it is an event. Manchester United vs Liverpool, Barcelona vs Real Madrid, or the biggest/best in my opinion is A.C. Milan vs Inter Milan.

GAME05 wrote:

I'd think this would have to be Rangers-Celtic, which is probably the biggest rivalry in all of sports.

GAME05 wrote:

I'd think this would have to be Rangers-Celtic, which is probably the biggest rivalry in all of sports.

It is, but I picked the other three because the "event" is much bigger.

I'm confused. On the link I only saw 10 events listed. Is the bigger list somewhere or are you still getting ideas and you're only at 10 so far?

anyway, I would add (1) sitting in the student section at a Duke-UNC hoops game at Cameron Indoor.

(2) RF bleacher seats at Yankee Stadium

(3) to be different, maybe the lumberjack championships (are they still in Heyward?)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I've been to multiple grand prix races in my day. Montreal is a good choice but the crown jewel in Formula 1 is Monte Carlo. Another good choice would be Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium or Monza in Italy.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans in France has gotta be a must.

A WRC Rally race looks like a ton of fun to attend but I really don't know what the best ones are.

The Indy 500 is about the only US race I'd include, but it's really lost it's glamor the past 15 years or so. Daytona 500, 24 Hours of Daytona & 12 hours of Sebring might make some consideration.

Just some feedback from a motorsports fan.

I think a lot of whats listed is too specific, I would have next to no interest in seeing a fierce rivalry without a horse in the race. Seeing Fenway might be a must, but I wouldn't say against the Yankees.

My musts, only things I have done:

-4 day weekend at the Indy 500 is a must. You must camp there, you must be there Thursday-Sunday. The race has very little to do with it, it's going camping with 100,000 other people and partying in the 16 blocks they close down the night before the race.

-AA or lower minor league baseball game. Somewhere where beers are cheap, there is something fun between each inning, and there is a 50/50 raffle to buy a new tarp. Somewhere where kids scramble for foul balls because the team will buy them back.

-You have to see your team, on the road, at least 250 miles from home and/or plan a full vacation around sports.

-See a game at Wrigley

-See a game at Lambeau

-Go to every game of a 4 game series

-Score a baseball game

-See the Hall of Fame of your favorite sport (I have only seen Canton though)

-Tailgate starting at least 4 hours before a sporting event

*edit* Just realized I strayed a little away from actual "events" on some of them, but I'll leave them up

The Indy 500 is about the only US race I'd include, but it's really lost it's glamor the past 15 years or so. Daytona 500, 24 Hours of Daytona & 12 hours of Sebring might make some consideration.

Just some feedback from a motorsports fan.

I like Bristol over Daytona. Bristol is more of the old school bump and grinding racing. The Indy 500 definitely has lost its luster over the years but I blame that mostly on the IRL than anything else. To me the Indy 500 is really the only race in the US that really matters it is one of the greatest race tracks in the US and it is normally a very exciting race. Plus the Borg Warner trophy is one of the coolest trophies ever made.

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Indianapolis+500+Winner+8l301EIcTIIl.jpg

I can't believe you didn't put the Indy 500 on there.

That's the tough thing about making a list like this, everyone has different ideas on what should be there.

The Indy 500 (or any car race) wouldn't make my top 1000 and that's what makes these non-personal lists difficult.

Its not that tough. I don't know or care at all about horse racing and I just crossed the infield at the Kentucky Derby off the list. Some things just transend sport and are actual events or rights of passage any fan of competition should experience. The Indy 500 is certainly one of them even though there will be the ocasional person who has no interest.

Hey guys,

Thanks for some great ideas. I never really thought about a trip the the Hall of Fame for various sports but that is exactly the type of thing I am asking for help with.

Again, if anyone would like to write a short "article" on a specific sporting event, use the "Contact Us" button on the web page and send it over. I am not a fan of motor sports so I am not particularly familiar with the environment one encounters on a trip to a race in order to write about it. I am looking to put best documents received into my book.

I don't know or care at all about horse racing and I

just crossed the infield at the Kentucky Derby off the list.

But, does a frat party on the infield qualify as a top 100 experience (don't get me wrong, I'd be down.)? You said it yourself that you don't know/care about horse racing.

Being there for the race is one thing but I'm guessing many of those people were indifferent/beyond incoherent by post time so that really only carries a little weight as far as "attending" the actual event goes.

Regarding the Indy 500, etc., I would have to be on the party scene (is there such a thing as an infield for car racing?) for those events because beyond a crash, racing is beyond meaningless to me.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Being there for the race is one thing but I'm guessing many of those people were indifferent/beyond incoherent by post time so that really only carries a little weight as far as "attending" the actual event goes.

Oktoberfest with a horse race?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived