Brewer Fanatic

Why is Brian Anderson getting so many games off this season?

One of my favorite BA comments is when with nobody out, he says, "[insert guy on deck] would be next." Actually Brian, he will be next.
This drives me nuts! Now I hear Provus doing the same on the radio.

Bring back Matt Vasgersian!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard Provus do it as well. I end up asking myself, what event would preclude the on deck hitter from batting when there are zero outs in the inning? It just strikes me as being lazy and unprofessional, especially when you do it over and over and over. I can see slipping once in a while, they are human after all. But with BA, its ingrained in his vernacular.

I don't miss Daron Sutton but it sure would have been nice to have the Buckethead Brigade stick around. They were the loudest most energetic parts of the game most nights and even on weeknights they almost always sold out that corner OF section's seats. It's very similar to what Bogut put together this year for the Bucks and I have to say it made the games more fun and the Bucks fans seem much more into their team. We need unique experiences like that here that really make our fanbase stand out even more and provide that much more of a home field advantage. Why we didn't hang onto that gimmick, even if we had to rename it, was beyond me.

Rp

One of my favorite BA comments is when with nobody out, he says, "[insert guy on deck] would be next." Actually Brian, he will be next.
What drives me nuts is the amount of times he uses 'some kind of' as an adjective.

Seriously!!! Can we start a letter writing campaign to get Anderson to stop doing this? It makes me crazy and I can't believe that no one between FSN and TBS has called him out on it.

I listened to all three Arizona games in the FSN Arizona feed, and bringing back Daron Sutton would be a mistake. Yes, he is enthusiastic, but he and Gracie say some really ridiculous things like that Adam LaRoche is a great defender and Corey Hart is an underrated contact hitter.

There are two things I don't like about BA. 1) His obsession with telling everyone that there is a no hitter going in the 4th inning or any inning just to seemingly rub it in the face of people who believe that it is baseball tradition to not say the words "no hitter" during a no hitter. 2) He appears to have Joe Buck syndrome, where he doesn't possess a genuine hardcore interest in the game of baseball. Something tells me that if he got paid around the same amount of money he would go back to golf in a heartbeat. (This is just my perception, I could be wrong) While Bill isn't the smartest guy out there, I believe that he is a genuine fan of the Brewers and the game. That said, I'd like to keep BA around.

All I can say is that in no way should Paschke every be associated with the Brewers again. He was absolutely horrible. The day he "chose" the Bucks over the Brewers was, for me, equal to the last game of 2008. Ok a little exaggeration! But since i don't watch the NBA that was a great move for me.

Rest easy, Brewer fans, no way would the organization bring back a previous PxP guy; that would be admitting a mistake rather than giving in to message board outcry. It will not happen.

Also -

Anyone catch, either Sat. or Sun., when Councell was up with Weeks on second and Coshun calls, "Weeks to leftfield...." when Counsell flies out to end the inning?!? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

Until the guy gets in the batter's box, he "would" be next.
No... unless there is some uncertainty that said batter will come to the plate. When Weeks leads off the game and Gomez is on deck, there is very little reason to believe anything other than that Gomez "will" be next. It's an extreme likelihood. Yet Anderson, for some reason, wants to add some mystery to it, much like his fly ball calls.

And I like Anderson, except for his incorrect and confusing use of the word "would" and except for his often confusing calls of anything hit in the air.

I second that call. Vasgersian was great, I was sad to see him go. His replacement Sutton was bland and humorless. I really like Anderson too, he is very humorous like Vasgersian. Frankly I hope Coshun doesn't call Brewers games anymore, he is even more bland and humorless than Sutton. Coshun and Schroeder were so boring that I switched to the Dbacks broadcast and listen to Sutton and Grace instead. I watch lots of Brewers games each year on mlb.tv and having humorous Brewers broadcasters is very important to me.

"people who don't care about a completely benign word choice" audience.

Exactly. One could even add... "people who don't care about word choice, but would rip the same announcer if working for any other team."

1) His obsession with telling everyone that there is a no hitter going in the 4th inning or any inning just to seemingly rub it in the face of people who believe that it is baseball tradition to not say the words "no hitter" during a no hitter.
I'm pretty sure this is the reason he does it. On that video linked here from the Ernie Harwell thread, one of the broadcasters (can't check right now--I'm at work) made comment about how Harwell would always tell the audience about a no-hitter multiple times during the broadcast as people would be constantly tuning in and out of the game and would want to know this information.

We all know that Brian Anderson loved Ernie Harwell and felt extremely blessed to have met him and learned from him. Thus, Anderson likely does the no-hitter talk for the same reason (even if television and radio broadcasts are two entirely different entities.)

This is my theory. Bash it all you want but it makes sense to me. (sorry, don't mean for that to be combative.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

at least it's not like the Yankee guy (John Sterling) who has a different catch phrase home run call for every guy on the team.

"An A-Bomb . . . from A-Rod"

"Robby Cano . . . don't ya' know?"

"Curtis! . . . something sort of Grandish!" (Granderson)

"Curtis! . . The Grandy Man Can!" (Granderson again)

"Mark sends a Tex message!" (Teixeira)

and of course, the "IT IS HIGH . . . IT IS FAR . . . IT IS . . . . GONE!" (which isn't all that bad since we're used to something similar to Uecker. It's just that he yells it so much and you hear it so much from ESPN and MLB radio that I'm just sick of it.)

Everytime I hear these things, I roll my eyes and groan.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I would take Ken Harrelson and Steve Stone over Rock/BA in a heartbeat.

John Sterling is radio, so its sort of a different animal. But

unless you are a Yankee die-hard homer that loves anything Yankee no

matter what, I don't see how anyone can stand John Sterling's home run

calls. They are so bad, I could care less how quality his other

announcing is. I automatically rate him as terrible.

Personally I am really really really REALLY glad we dont have the White Sox guys....

The 'put it on the board' and 'he gone' calls are just soooo annoying to me.

Don't forget "Stretch." John Sterling is brutal too.

In this afternoon's game top of the 7th when there is a PH for Lowe:

BA: " Neither pitcher will factor today"

Really, Brian?

The Braves score that inning and dont relinquish the lead then Lowe gets the W http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

I would take Ken Harrelson and Steve Stone over Rock/BA in a heartbeat.
Me too. I like Hawk's calls, even "chopper, two hopper." He's good because it sounds natural, not forced. I love his homerun call. Stone is a very good announcer. He'll frequently correctly call pitches before they're thrown. He's very knowledgeable, and I like that.
You may run like Mays...

Archived