Brewer Fanatic

Knock on wood - Could Chris Capuano be a factor on this year's team? Latest: Starting Thursday 6/3 (reply #171ish)

Verified Member
So if Davis comes back in a few weeks and replaces Narveson, the Brewers will have 60% of their starting rotation from 2006 (Bush, Capuano, Davis). They combined for 100 starts that year and went 34-34 with a 4.44 ERA.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if Davis comes back in a few weeks and replaces Narveson, the Brewers will have 60% of their starting rotation from 2006 (Bush, Capuano, Davis). They combined for 100 starts that year and went 34-34 with a 4.44 ERA.

That's just Melvin's way of moving forward... he just comes back around to the same players again and again.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

You can say all you want, we wanted to see him get 2 more startts. You didn't learn anything from that 4 IP. If you were trying to learn something about him you wouldn't have pulled him at 60 pitches. That was stupid wasteful and pointless. Sorry, that's just logic.

Except of course that he was able to go out and make another start an pitch effectively. Had he blown up in the first inning, or complained about a sore arm, or what have you, he wouldn't be starting in FLA on Thu. You make it sound as if it is unusual for a team/player to come up with a rehabilitation plan and stick to it. Using your logic, they should have called him up straight from A a few weeks ago. Why bother putting the arm through any additional tests when he already looked good.

Well, now we know. Capuano has no business pitching in the major leagues. He throws at a perfect hitters speed and anything above the belt is gonna get whack-a-moled. A good story, a tough guy, a good guy, but that tear in my eye isn't out of the sense sentimentality.

Well, now we know. Capuano has no business pitching in the major leagues. He throws at a perfect hitters speed and anything above the belt is gonna get whack-a-moled. A good story, a tough guy, a good guy, but that tear in my eye isn't out of the sense sentimentality.

You've come to that conclusion after 4 innings on the heels of a 2+ year layoff? Not saying he is going to save the season, but I guess I'd prefer to see him throw a few more pitches before I completely throw in the towel. Of course with a guy like CC, command and keeping the ball down is the key. His velocity is no different than a guy like Mark Buerle, Jamie Moyer, etc.

Yep--I've come to that conclusion. I don't have to see anymore. I hate pitchers who throw 86-87 mph fastballs, always have. He may become another gritty 5 inning pitcher for the Crew, but I've pretty much had my fill of that kind of guy. I've been watching them for 40 years now.

Good riddance.

As far as Capuano, no, he wasn't great last night, but it was his first start in the majors since '07, obviously. I think you have to give him a couple more chances. There was enough there to make me think he's a better long term option than Suppan, Estrada, etc.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

So what exactly are they doing with Capuano...the guy is coming of his second major surgery and was obviously on a regular/regimented 5 day rotation throughout his rehab. So what do the Brewers do? Bring him up and give him one start, and now by all appearances, he will be sitting for at least 10 days. How is that any good for him or the team? Is it really that critical to get Dave Bush or Chris Narveson those starts that you can't send Capuano out there on regular rest one more time or two to see what you've got? Perhaps there is more to the story, but it doesn't seem so. I just find it hard to believe that using him out of the bullpen is a good idea. He will probably be the odd man out when Davis returns, and they may end up releasing him, but doing what they have done just strikes me as a bad idea.

Capuano really doesn't bring any more to the table than Bush or Narveson stuff wise and in the case of Narveson, probably a little less. That he was able to use his smarts and know how as a 32 year old veteran to get out AAA hitters, doesn't make him a great starter at the major league level. I really think they want Bush to string together a few decent starts so he'll have some value at the deadline.

At some level, I can understand letting performance dictate pt; but if we are seriously going game by game, start by start, matchup by matchup I have a big problem with that. Shouldn't coaches as ground level talent evaluators be able to pick the players they think are most talented/best and start those players? Knowing what we do about how luck plays into results, it is an indefensible action to use such small samples to dictate who we play/start.

Is Capuano a better option than Narveson/Bush/Davis/etc... or not? The next few starts will reveal very little as far as fact...seems like we've just been sitting the fence all year on center field, right field, our pitching staff, our lineup, and catcher to some extent and I think that's a big part of the issues we are having.

I agree. It seems like the general decision making on this team has been very indecisive, and smacks of foot dragging all around (keeping Suppan on the roster, moving Parra in and out of the pen, the handling of Bush and Capuano, the situation with Hoffman, the DL management, etc). Just doesn't seem like a smart way to run a professional sports franchise. Maybe there is more going on than we know (like some guys getting showcased for trades); but until we see some logic behind some of these moves, I think a lot of us are going to continue being frustrated.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Good riddance.

As far as Capuano, no, he wasn't great last night, but it was his first start in the majors since '07, obviously. I think you have to give him a couple more chances. There was enough there to make me think he's a better long term option than Suppan, Estrada, etc.

I'm all for Capuano taking Wolf's turn for a couple starts and letting Wolf work on things in the bullpen.

Archived