Brewer Fanatic

Knock on wood - Could Chris Capuano be a factor on this year's team? Latest: Starting Thursday 6/3 (reply #171ish)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm happy for Chris. It's pretty impressive to make it back to the majors after being gone for 2 1/3 years due to injury. I hope he pitches just as impressively, but even if he doesn't, it's nice to see him back.

That's what I heard on the radio broadcast. They want to give him a shot at the 5 spot ... probably on the road trip.

So lets recap.

If Cappy doesn't start last night. He starts today.

Would have likely been a sell out.

Could not have done worse than 4.6 IP and 6 ER.

Would likely have still had Parra and Estrada available for some long relief in the near future. If Cappy pitched well Parra could have pitched instead of Coffey tonight.

Likely would not have had to tax Coffey.

Guess this looked good ahead of time, and after the issue.

Glad we scrapped out a win.

I don't understand the issue with Capuano pitching in AAA last night.

The whole point was to see if he was ready. He'd thrown all of 21 IP in AAA and fewer than 15 in A+. I don't see it as a "waste" to start him last night for Nashville, it seems like a necessary part of coming back. You have to prove you can handle it.

What did we learn in those 4 IP that we hadn't already seen in the first starts? Its a rehab sitution. Did we see enough from Suppan with the Trats to bring him up and start him. Its a long DL but 35 IP is enough. Especially when you have an open slot like we did tonight. Toss him into the fire, you'll learn a lot more about him that way. 4.6 IP 6 ER.... could we have done worse?

Pretty clear at this point that Estrada is by far the worst pitcher on the team and should be gone, regardless of how much extra hate Vargas and Suppan get. OH well none of them are great so it isn't going to hurt one way or another.

Pretty clear at this point that Estrada is by far the worst pitcher on the team and should be gone, regardless of how much extra hate Vargas and Suppan get. OH well none of them are great so it isn't going to hurt one way or another.
Don't worry, he'll be gone on Monday when Edmonds gets activated.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

He shouldn't be coming out of the pen. He should be a guy in AAA who is the first guy called up for an emergency start. Keep him stretched out. He doesn't do much for us in the pen.

I don't understand the issue with Capuano pitching in AAA last night.

The whole point was to see if he was ready. He'd thrown all of 21 IP in AAA and fewer than 15 in A+. I don't see it as a "waste" to start him last night for Nashville, it seems like a necessary part of coming back. You have to prove you can handle it.

What did we learn in those 4 IP that we hadn't already seen in the first starts? Its a rehab sitution. Did we see enough from Suppan with the Trats to bring him up and start him. Its a long DL but 35 IP is enough. Especially when you have an open slot like we did tonight. Toss him into the fire, you'll learn a lot more about him that way. 4.6 IP 6 ER.... could we have done worse?

What does Jeff Suppan have to do with anything here? He is completely and utterly irrelevant to Capuano starting in AAA rather than being called up.

But you're right. It's a rehab situation. A guy rehabbing from a SECOND Tommy John Surgery, a injury from which it's exceedingly rare to come back from and be effective.

Again, neither Capuano nor the Brewers thought he was ready to come back up on the 20th , so even he doesn't have an issue with it, so again, I can't fathom why you do. You need to see how a guy is going to handle coming back and throwing, if he's going to go through a dead arm period, etc..etc....

What's more, using the results from tonights game is also completely aside the point. If you had the ability to know how things would work out before you did them, this game would be pretty easy. And we didn't have an open slot tonight. We had a starting pitcher who had a 3.70 ERA coming into the game on the mound.

Anyway, I think we've exhausted this conversation. Suffice to say I vehemently disagree and think we handled this situation just fine. I have no issue with both parties, Cappy and the Brewers wanting to get TWO more starts in before making a decision, so I just don't understand why you do.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Quick thought, is there any value in Hoffman anymore for a trade? Maybe the change of scenery approach that everyone always talks about as a last resort.
I don't think there is any value there. At this point I think all the Brewers can do is hope that he remembers how to pitch.

If Vargas get cut and doesn't land a FA gig, I hope Nashville has room.

I assume that Cappy will throw out of the pen first? If not would he piggy-back...Manny I suppose?

Oh, and obviously I meant Vagas, PrinceEat...I'll disagree that Carlos is the best RH out of the pen. Ax and Coffey are "better" IMO.

Quick thought, is there any value in Hoffman anymore for a trade? Maybe the change of scenery approach that everyone always talks about as a last resort.
I can't imagine anyone would want to pay him roughly 6 million dollars at this point.

I think the only chance would be for the Brewers to keep him for 6-8 weeks, hope his ERA is down around 4 at that point meaning he's been pitching exceptionally well, and then whatever team would only be required to pick up 4 million dollars.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

From the sound of it last night on TV, Capuano will be starting.
Which once again blows me away. Oh we need to get him 4 more information gathering innnings in the minros so he can be unavailable for 3-4 days to make sure he doesn't have blah blah blah before we bring him up... but next week we'll jam him into the starting lineup, no worries.

So one week its not possible but the next week its absolutely the right move. We must have seen something amazing in that 4IP. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

There is zero reason that shouldn't have been done last night. We didn't know what would happen in the game, sure, but I'm pretty darn sure we knew we'd get 6 IP tops from Parra/Estrada. I'm pretty sure we were certain it wasn't going to be clean. Which brings it right back to why not give Cappy the start. It turned out just about as bad as it could get.

Instead we go, no we cant start him on Saturday. Hey we are calling up an unavailable pitcher. We'll start him next week. That's the work of a crazy person.

You can say all you want, we wanted to see him get 2 more startts. You didn't learn anything from that 4 IP. If you were trying to learn something about him you wouldn't have pulled him at 60 pitches. That was stupid wasteful and pointless. Sorry, that's just logic.

If Vargas get cut and doesn't land a FA gig, I hope Nashville has room.

I assume that Cappy will throw out of the pen first? If not would he piggy-back...Manny I suppose?

Oh, and obviously I meant Vagas, PrinceEat...I'll disagree that Carlos is the best RH out of the pen. Ax and Coffey are "better" IMO.

Villanueva: 26.2 IP 2.70 ERA 36 K 10 BB 1.16 WHIP 7 Holds 1 Save

Coffey: 25.1 IP 3.91 ERA 16 K 10 BB 1.34 WHIP 7 Holds 0 Saves

Axford: 8.0 IP 2.25 ERA 13 K 4 BB 1.00 WHIP 1 Hold 2 Saves

Pretty clear that CV has better numbers than Coffey this year. At best they are even in performance. Axford will likely be the best of the bunch if he keeps this up, but he isn't yet with only 8 IP.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'd rather they keep Parra in the rotation and put Narveson back in the 'pen. Wish Manny had a fair shot in the rotation. But he seems to be doing okay in the bullpen so I guess it's not that big of a deal. Either way, Thursday can't come soon enough.

Just announced on Twitter that Capuano will be starting on Thursday, and Parra is going back to the 'pen. Sounds good to me.
Also mentioned in the pre-game interview with Ken Macha. I'm ready to give this a try.

Edit: And here is a McCalvy blog post.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived