Brewer Fanatic

Knock on wood - Could Chris Capuano be a factor on this year's team? Latest: Starting Thursday 6/3 (reply #171ish)

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/579/siren.gifhttp://img580.imageshack.us/img580/579/siren.gifhttp://img580.imageshack.us/img580/579/siren.gifhttp://img580.imageshack.us/img580/579/siren.gif

WARNING! WARNING! THREAD DEVOLVING INTO DOUG MELVIN CRITICISM. STABILIZATION NECESSARY TO AVOID IMMINENT DESTRUCTION.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/94926489.html

latest from haurdicourt. a decision needs to be made on capuano by saturday which we knew but loe on the 5th. personally i'd bring both of them up. DFA Vargas and while I would like them to DFA soup I know thats not going to happen and my guess is Estrada would be the most likely one to go. To make room on the 40 man luis cruz could easily be removed for one of the 2.

If this team loses either Capuano or Loe to keep Suppan and Vargas, how can you not criticize Melvin? Neither Suppan or Vargas will be back next season, why not give these guys a shot? I'm just hoping the fact that the recent moves with the pitching staff have been working out nicely will give Melvin the guts to cut the cord with Suppan, I just don't get why they are keeping him around. It has to be the money, because there isn't the 'who would we replace him with?' apologist exuse this year.

I really hope they don't send Estrada back down. I like what we've seen from him so far.

i have been impressed too. I just don't see them sending down braddock or axford. I could possibly see parra though. Estrada hasn't done anything to deserve the demotion I will admit.

on a side note, hopefully these moves would allow the brewers to have a full bench so bush doesn't have to pinch run and gallardo doesn't have to pinch hit.

Yeah, but Estrada has options. Parra doesn't, so if it comes down to keeping both (looking at next year) then I'd much rather send Estrada down.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

If this team loses either Capuano or Loe to keep Suppan and Vargas, how can you not criticize Melvin?

I completely agree. I am a Melvin supporter but I wouldn't be able to look past something like letting either go to keep Suppan or Vargas.

How about the fact that Loe isn't very good? A 4.59 FIP in AAA with a 5.25 K/9 doesn't scream make a move for me.
I'll take my chances with that as opposed to Suppan or Vargas, both of whom have ERA's well over 6. I'll agree that Loe might not be very good, but at least he has a chance to not be terrible.

Call me crazy but I'm all for giving a guy who's worked his butt off a chance. I not only want to see Cappy called up but I want to give him the start tomorrow vs the Mets. He's done well in AAA ball. Good ERA pitching 7 innings on average. He's stretched out. Parra isn't. Estrada really isn't. He hasn't pitched since the 23rd so at this point in time why not. We need a feel good story around here and he's busted his tail to get back on the mound for Milwaukee. If he lights it up, they look like a genius/saint. If not, oh well. Brewers fans get something to get behind and will peak walk up attendance tomorrow on the saturday home game.

Guys come back from 2 TJs. He's pitching well. He has his command and he's stretched out. If he's going to blow it again, blow it again pitching for the team he worked so hard to get back to.

I'd hate to send Estrada down because I think he is more useful to this team than Vargas and Suppan but I think he has the ability to go down and I think he's best suited to be a AAA guy who gets called up to start when a pitcher goes down. He doesn't wow me out of the pen and I'd rather have Parra as our long guy.

Loe, I really don't care about. He's been and up and down wash out and he's only been decent in AAA. He's not sub 2 like cappy or averaging 7 IP a start.

Loe > Vargas/Suppan but not enough for me to get too worked up about it. Cappy deserves this.

Call me crazy but I'm all for giving a guy who's worked his butt off a chance. I not only want to see Cappy called up but I want to give him the start tomorrow vs the Mets. He's done well in AAA ball. Good ERA pitching 7 innings on average. He's stretched out. Parra isn't. Estrada really isn't. He hasn't pitched since the 23rd so at this point in time why not. We need a feel good story around here and he's busted his tail to get back on the mound for Milwaukee. If he lights it up, they look like a genius/saint. If not, oh well. Brewers fans get something to get behind and will peak walk up attendance tomorrow on the saturday home game.

Guys come back from 2 TJs. He's pitching well. He has his command and he's stretched out. If he's going to blow it again, blow it again pitching for the team he worked so hard to get back to.

I'd hate to send Estrada down because I think he is more useful to this team than Vargas and Suppan but I think he has the ability to go down and I think he's best suited to be a AAA guy who gets called up to start when a pitcher goes down. He doesn't wow me out of the pen and I'd rather have Parra as our long guy.

Loe, I really don't care about. He's been and up and down wash out and he's only been decent in AAA. He's not sub 2 like cappy or averaging 7 IP a start.

Loe > Vargas/Suppan but not enough for me to get too worked up about it. Cappy deserves this.

I agree 100%. I'm also going to the game tomorrow and really want to see Cappy pitch again.

Why have him pitch tonight at all.... so frustrating. He could have started tomorrow or at least came in if Parra couldn't go more than 3 innings into the game. Now he's useless tomorrow for our piece start. If we sent down estrada to make this move we put our pen in an unnessicary jam tomorrow even after Yo saved us the work today! Way to gain nothing from tonight!

6 IP to cover and if we sent down Estrada its all on Coffey Braddock Axford V and Hoffman. Lets overwork the pen just because we didn't have to use them tonight.

Either way you slice it, even 4 IP tonight made him unavailable for a couple days and that was just stupid. He was on pace to go another 6-7 and his ERA was likely to still be under 2 when he was done with it.

If we could have got 6 ip and even 4ER from him tomorrow it would have been a huge boost.

Stu just reported the move during the Nashville broadcast, it's official.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Welcome back to the bigs, Cappy! Just like I did with my broken bobblehead, the doctors were able to glue your arm back together. I wish him the utmost success.

DFA'ing Vargas over Soup isn't the worst thing in the world. Soup hasn't been as brutal out of the pen as Vargas has. Vargas literally has no role right now. Suppan is getting paid $12 million to be Matt Ford and pitch when we're up 10 or down 10.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived