Brewer Fanatic

Knock on wood - Could Chris Capuano be a factor on this year's team? Latest: Starting Thursday 6/3 (reply #171ish)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bring him up and cut Suppan.

I suspect if his next two starts go well, this is exactly what will happen, and they will insert him into the rotation, probably in place of Parra. Obviously Capuano is a risk, but this is a way to throw a bone to the fans, and potentially strengthen the pitching staff, if he continues to pitch well.

There's no reason Cappy has to be put right into the starting rotation if called up. I'd certainly be fine with him in the long relief role. And it's not laughable at all that Cappy has an out clause. Smart move on his part. It's not hard to envision another team wanting him at least in their bullpen.

Bring him up and cut Suppan. It would probably be good for Capuano to be scheduled to be used out of the bullpen every 5th day or so. The way this rotation is, finding him opportunities to work in the 4th or 5th inning should not be a problem. This way, he can probably get 3 or 4 innings in regualarly.

For as many legitimate gripes as you could have with the starting pitching for the Brewers this year, you managed to pick one that's just not true. So far this month, there would have been one (1) opportunity for a pitcher to come in and work the 4th or 5th inning...and that was Parra coming out of the bullpen to start after Davis went on the DL.

The bullpen has been taxed, but that's due to the Brewers' starters inability to pitch past the 6th inning, based on the high #s of pitches/IP. Only twice this month have the starters reached the rarified air known as the 7th inning; it's like the entire squad has developed Matt Kinney syndrome (I think that was the pitcher who would get cuffed around whenever he was left in after the 6th). There are no real "innings eaters" in the rotation right now.

5/20 - 6.0 IP (Narveson)

5/19 - 6.1 IP (Wolf)

5/18 - 4.0 IP (Parra - 1st start out of bullpen)

5/17 - 6.0 IP (Gallardo)

5/16 - 6.0 IP (Bush)

5/15 - 5.2 IP (Narveson)

5/14 - 5.0 IP (Wolf)

5/12 - 6.0 IP (Gallardo)

5/11 - 6.0 IP (Bush)

5/10 - 5.2 IP (Davis)

5/9 - 5.2 IP (Narveson)

5/8 - 6.0 IP (Wolf)

5/7 - 5.0 IP (Gallardo - 10 strikeout game)

5/6 - 5.0 IP (Bush)

5/5 - 5.1 IP (Davis)

5/4 - 6.0 IP (Narveson)

5/2 - 5.0 IP (Wolf)

5/1 - 7.0 IP (Gallardo)

I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle would be interested. Or KC. Or

Houston.

I can't believe there isn't one team that would take a chance on him.

I'm sure there are plenty that would, he is left-handed and a pitcher, after all.

If he keeps pitching like he has we won't need to worry about the out clause. He will be called up. I think in this case both the team and Capuano realzie that he can't be rushed. He needs to be patient and sure he is ready to come up. I rather see him make another start or two in the minors and come up and have success than rush and be done for good.

I think the case can easily be made for any of Stetter, Vargas, or Suppan being DFA'd. Unless the wheels on Capuano completely fall off between now and the 29th, I fully expect him to be with the Brewers.

That said, I really hope that when (or if) Capuano makes his first appearance, he gets a proper ovation. The guy was nothing but a class act during his time in Milwaukee and he's now spent the last two + years battling back from an injury.

Stetter needs to be sent back down - Braddock can be the LOOGY and get out right hand batters at this point. Stetter just isn't doing his job.

The Brewers seems dead set on keeping Suppan, so they might as well cut Vargas and move Davis to the bullpen.

WHEN Capuano is called back up, he needs to be starting. If he is only a relief pitcher, his value is pretty minimal. We still have a few arms in AAA that could pitch in relief.

I think the case can easily be made for any of Stetter, Vargas, or Suppan being DFA'd.
Stetter?? Really? He's got options left, so he could go back to AAA. I wouldn't DFA him.
Yeah, I meant to the minors (although, how many options does he have left at this point)?

I'm pretty bearish on Stetter right now, but given that he has options left, it would certainly not be smart to DFA him.

Community Moderator

Yeah, I meant to the minors (although, how many options does he have left at this point)?

Stetter can go back and forth between Milwaukee and the minors all year as necessary.

They'd still have to clear a 40-man spot for Capuano, which seems to be the thing currently holding up the Braddock call up as it is. Not sure how they'd want to clear two spots, but Vargas' days would certainly seem to be numbered at this point.

Not sure how they'd want to clear two spots, but Vargas' days would certainly seem to be numbered at this point.

Sad that Suppan is the least valuable member of this team and we all know he wont be the DFA'd. Vargas sucks too but Suppan is simply terrible. Which leads to my next question...If Suppan was DFA'd, would anyone even pick him up?

Stetter should've been moved at the dead line last year. He was pitching solidly and would've made sense at the time to be traded. Sell high.

Doug Melvin hasn't traded high on anyone since Scott Podsednik. That's what frustrates me so much about him.

I guess you could argue Lyle Overbay.

A pitcher's performance in the minors isn't always a great predictor of major league success, due in no small part of the fact that minor league hitters are a total different ballgame than big leaguers. That said, Capuano has pitched pretty darn well in the minors this season. Jeff Suppan, both in ST (major & minor league camps) and in the minors last year rehabbing after the DL stint, has been pretty much crushed by anyone..... So ......

With how shoddy some of the Brewers' pitching has been, and with how long the Brewers have been investing in Capuano's comeback, I don't see the Brewers being able to afford giving him a chance to go elsewhere. Hopefully either Suppan's or Vargas' 40-man spot and their respective salary is all it'd cost.

well if davis doesn't get back soon, cappy is going to have to be in our rotation, we cannot have estrada and parra only pitching 4 run innings. Having a healty capuano on the team would probably allow us to get an extra bench player as the brewers would not have to piggy back starters like they had to last week.

Capuano, May 23rd:

6 2/3rds, 7 hits, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K

Another very efficient outing.

The concern I have with Cappy is that he isn't striking guys out. It's going to be hard to be as efficient in the bigs without strikeouts.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived