Brewer Fanatic

Knock on wood - Could Chris Capuano be a factor on this year's team? Latest: Starting Thursday 6/3 (reply #171ish)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What we need is for Jeremy Jeffress to come back from his suspension on a

mission.

I see Jeffress as having the same issues as Rogers....way too many walks. But you're right. If he can coming back throwing 98mph like he did before it will be another high upside arm in the system. If he can lower his BB rate just by a third if would help immensely. Same thing goes for Rogers though. He threw five shutout innings today, but as long as he is walking 4 or 5 guys per 9 innings, he's never going to be able to go more than 6 innings, especially with his injury history.

As far as Capuano goes, you gotta root for him. He lit up A+, so let's see how Nashville treats him. Would it even be an option to have a rotation of Gallardo and 4 lefties (Wolf, Narveson, Capuano, Davis/Parra)?

Speaking of Jeffress though, when does he come back? BC has played 30 games this year (Huntsville has now played 32). How many did he miss last season?

I would disagree. If he pitches well in the minors all year long and stayed healthy, but isn't called up until September because the Brewers pitching staff miraculously pitches well and stays healthy (yes, I know that is remote), I don't see why someone wouldn't offer a low-end MLB contract. The dollars would still make it low risk.

And at this point, Capuano probably cares more about pitching in the majors versus getting the biggest payday and that may end up being someone other the Brewers, especially since in this assumed scenario he pitched well but still didn't get a chance.

I really like Chris, but I just don't see why a team is going to pay him what has been suggested here for minor league work and maybe a September appearance. I don't see that happening unless he does it in the majors and does it for more than a few games. There are plenty of veteran pitchers in the minors that pitch well...it is not like Chris is the exception. I guess the way I see it is if Chris pitches well this year in the minors and hopefully a Milwaukee appearance the Brewers will bring him back. That has to be very close to a slam dunk. We all saw how the free agent market worked this past off-season.

The only issue I could see is Chris wanting a better opportunity (not money related). The Brewers could offer that opportunity next year and I think that is why Chris is back next year if he pitches well. I will be absolutely shocked if he gets $3 million next year...that would mean the market is completely skewed compared to this past year (which I guess could happen).

Is Cappy going to be a starter at the big league level? I'll admit I've followed his stats, but I'm not sure about his pitch count and how that is shaking out. I think that is also something to be answered. If I get the chance in the next few weeks, I'll hopefully catch up with him in Nashville.

I will be absolutely shocked if he gets $3 million next year...
No, he isn't going to get $3M as a free agent. But I was wondering what people thought an arbritrator would give him if the Brewers offered that to protect their investment. And I'm sure the Brewers aren't going to offer arby if they are talking that range.

A great outing by Cappy in Nashville. Very encouraging.

Per TH

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/93740984.html

Left-hander Chris Capuano took another nice step forward tonight in
his comeback attempt from a second "Tommy John" reconstructive elbow
surgery.

Capuano pitched eight scoreless innings for Class AAA Nashville in
his first start for that club since being moved up from Class A Brevard
County.

Capuano, 31, allowed only three hits and two walks while striking out
five in the 8-0 victory over Tacoma. It was his longest outing since
2007 with the Brewers. Capuano threw 84 pitches, 57 for strikes and
recorded 11 groundball outs, a very good sign.

Combined with his three starts at Brevard, Capuano is 3-0 with a 0.79
ERA in his comeback attempt. He has allowed only two earned runs in 22
1/3 innings.

Left-handed prospect Zach Braddock pitched the ninth inning to
complete the shutout victory.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I like Capuano so much that I wouldn't even hate him if he was on the Cubs.
I have nothing to add beyond what I posted in the link report in the minor league forum, however this comment made me laugh so I felt obligated to respond.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Boy, I hope he can finish the comeback...it will be heartbreaking in a lot of ways if he can't come all the way back after getting as close as he already has, even though hat seems like it is probably the most likely outcome.

I have to admit reading about his debut in Nashville has me salivating. Obviously there's a big jump from facing AAA hitters to MLB hitters...but even just seeing him make a start again at Miller Park would be amazing. I would be sure to get tickets for that one.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

We already can't use Suppan unless a game is completely out of hand, how would we be worse off to give Capuano a shot on the big league squad and just give Soup his walking papers? If we bring Cappy up, do we just have to pay him the veteran's minimum?

I agree if Capuano keeps dealing like he did yesterday he deserves a shot with the Brewers. But unless he does a 180, it should be Doug Davis getting the pink slip. He's actually been worse than Suppan (seems impossible, but true), and will be less damaging monetarily to send him out.

If he makes it back, I'll be there. And he better get the standing ovation of a lifetime. Not a quick 5 second, above average applause...a roaring out of control ovation that rivals a curtain call at an Aerosmith concert.

I think Capuano's performance tonight was bump-worthy, given the depressing state of the major league forum. Cappy took the loss while going 6 1/3, striking out seven while walking none. He gave up 3 runs on 10 hits; 8 singles and 2 doubles.

*LHP Chris Capuano had an "out" clause in his minor-league contract that said he could walk away if the Brewers didn't call him up by May 20. But both parties agreed that he wasn't physically ready for that kind of decision, so they agreed to extend the "out" clause to May 29.

"That gives him two more starts," said Ash. "We'll see where he is after that. Nothing has to happen on the 29th unless he dictates it. He just didn't feel he was ready and we didn't feel he was ready."

Capuano, coming a second Tommy John elbow reconstruction, has pitched twice for Nashville, going 1-1 with a 1.88 ERA. Prior to that, he made three starts at Brevard County, going 2-0 with a 1.23 ERA.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/94609629.html

Probably going to get a decision fairly soon...

Yet another instance where Suppan seems to be a major roadblock in roster management. It'd seem to make much more sense to have Cappy up as the long man & another LOOGY when needed than keep Soup around.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Bring him up and cut Suppan. It would probably be good for Capuano to be scheduled to be used out of the bullpen every 5th day or so. The way this rotation is, finding him opportunities to work in the 4th or 5th inning should not be a problem. This way, he can probably get 3 or 4 innings in regualarly.

And that may happen at the end of the month. For now, there's no reason to rush into a decision. I like the idea of having Cappy make a couple more starts in AAA. If his arm is right after that and has good results, then you bring him up. By then, who knows if someone else is hurt or blows up? it's not like Stetter has been stellar either, but his name never comes up.

Archived