Brewer Fanatic

Knock on wood - Could Chris Capuano be a factor on this year's team? Latest: Starting Thursday 6/3 (reply #171ish)

Big fan of Capuano as I'm sure many others are. What are the chances of him contributing to this year's team? Obviously very fragile at this point, but he's is only 31 and has looked great in Brevard County thus far. In three starts, he has 17 Ks and 0 BB. Rumor is he will be in Nashville very soon. Someone is bound to get injured this year, could Capuano be the guy up if that happens? Or if Narveson really struggles? What do you think?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a fellow southpaw I am also a fan of CC

Having said that, I would tend to believe he would be more likely to be traded for a need than to make the roster this season.

For once the Brewers' have more than their share of lefty's on the staff.

Whatever happens, I'm rooting for Capuano to succeed. I just don't see him making an impact at the big league level this year. If he does I would assume it would mean a couple of our starters get hurt, that would be bad. I think it would be nice to see Cappy pitch great at AAA and stay healthy all season. Then next season maybe he earns a spot on the big club.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

At this point, I expect Capuano to make some type of appearance in Milwaukee this year, so long as he stays healthy. With how the rotation looks, I really doubt he'd have a shot at making any starts, but he could certainly be valuable out of the pen.

It's tough (and I know I'm looking far ahead here) because I'd really like to see Parra inserted back into the rotation and I'm not sure where Capuano fits should that happen. Obviously future injuries notwithstanding, the Brewers have quantity in arms already. What I am sure of is that should Capuano continue to pitch well and stay healthy he will make an appearance with the Brewers in some capacity.

I wonder if he continues his tear at AAA, if they will promote him and cut ties with Suppan?

This is the major leagues. The best team needs to be on the field, not who is making the most money.

That's what I'd suggest... switch him and Suppan...

CC still has pleanty of people in MKE who like him. By a PR standard it'd be a good move..

But let's make sure he won't blow out his arm again.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Cot's Baseball Contracts didnt have any info on capuano contract. If i remember correctly he signed a 1 yr minor league deal, can anyone add more details?
That's my memory also. Which would also be the reason the Brewers need to be proactive with him. Get him up just as soon as he is ready or get on the phone and let him know he is available so he is thoroughly scouted by the other teams. If we don't, we just paid him for a year of rehab and he is going to play for someone else next year.

Edit: What kind of payday would CC get if the Brewers offered arby?

Cot's Baseball Contracts didnt have any info on capuano contract. If i remember correctly he signed a 1 yr minor league deal, can anyone add more details?
That's my memory also. Which would also be the reason the Brewers need to be proactive with him. Get him up just as soon as he is ready or get on the phone and let him know he is available so he is thoroughly scouted by the other teams. If we don't, we just paid him for a year of rehab and he is going to play for someone else next year.

Edit: What kind of payday would CC get if the Brewers offered arby?

No matter how well he does in the minors this year if he doesn't do well in more than a token appearance late in the season with the Brewers, no other team is going to give a major league contract in the offseason to 32 year old pitcher who hasn't pitched in the majors since 2007. He's the very definition of flier you give a minor league deal to and bring to spring training. Given that the Brewers continued to pay him through his injuries, if they want him, they'd have the inside track unless he sees a much better opportunity elsewhere.

Even if the Brewers want to keep him on their roster and don't want to pay arby price, they could non-tender him and sign him to a lesser amount. The Nats did that with Scott Olsen and are reaping a big reward so far.

No matter how well he does in the minors this year if he doesn't do well in more than a token appearance late in the season with the Brewers, no other team is going to give a major league contract in the offseason to 32 year old pitcher who hasn't pitched in the majors since 2007.
I would disagree. If he pitches well in the minors all year long and stayed healthy, but isn't called up until September because the Brewers pitching staff miraculously pitches well and stays healthy (yes, I know that is remote), I don't see why someone wouldn't offer a low-end MLB contract. The dollars would still make it low risk.

And at this point, Capuano probably cares more about pitching in the majors versus getting the biggest payday and that may end up being someone other the Brewers, especially since in this assumed scenario he pitched well but still didn't get a chance.

Why would the Brewers pay for his rehab and then not bring him to camp in 2011?
Who said the Brewers wouldn't bring him to camp (nonroster)? The question would be, does another team try to trump whatever the Brewers may offer (with the list of assumptions that are already stated).

Remember, at this point in time there are no guarantees that Suppan and Davis will be on the pitching staff come September. If the Brewers are in playoff contention in late August, I would expect them to release Suppan and put a potential playoff contributor on the 25-man roster. Davis has done alright, but--as was always the problem--the walks are killing him. He may be just a 5-inning pitcher these days.

It would be great if some of these pitched well enough to actually be traded at the deadline if we are out of it. This rotation needs to be blown up starting next year. Bush, Davis, and Suppan need to go, and we need to get a young, hard throwing righthander in there. If only Mark Rogers could get his walks down!

I'm done counting on Rogers for anything at the big-league level. What we need is for Jeremy Jeffress to come back from his suspension on a mission. The motivation should be there... make the bigs and smoke all the ganja your heart desires.

Archived