Brewer Fanatic

skydiving

Principessa21

I posted on here about a month ago that I would be going skydiving. (The thread dropped off.) Well I went and it was unbelievable. I encourage everyone to do it, no matter how much you are scared of heights. Simply terrifying, and I loved every second.

I went through AtmosphAir, in Ft. Atkinson. The training went by pretty quickly, probably a 1/2 hour. I got a dvd with my package, and if anyone decides to do this, please get the dvd - it's great (the cost was $80). They got me suiting up, in the plane, and jumping out/landing (the camera was on my tandem partner's wrist). Five of us crammed in this little plane, and off we went to 12,500 ft. When we were half way up, I saw the clouds at my level and that's when I started to get scared.

I then had to sit on my ankles so my partner and I could link up. The door opened and the first coupld zoomed out. It's not like the movies where if the door opens you'll just be sucked out. We then moved over to the edge of the door. It was much cooler and I was simply terrified just seeing clouds and barely the earth. I then had to put my leg on the wing and grab my shoulder straps. My leg, btw, was swinging in the air, but I did get it steady. We then fell out, and what a rush!

Freefall was 1 minute, and then we glided down 5 minutes or so. The tandem partner also let me steer the parachute! The landing was great, we definitely came in quicker then I expected. And people are right when they say you'll never look the same way at the sky.

I've always thought about going skydiving, but I honestly think I'm too big of a wimp to go through with it. I have no problems on roller coasters and such, probably because you're harnessed in and all that (though sky-diving is pretty safe too I'm sure). But I just think I would get up there and be completely terrified and not be able to jump out....

was your plane pressurized? I would venture a guess that there was no "sucking you out" like in the movies if your plane was unpressurized.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

My girlfriend bought me a gift certificate to go skydiving when I was in high-school. Unfortunately I had a major back surgery shortly after that and wasn't supposed to do things like that for about a year. I decided to ignore the doctors (a little bit) and tried to schedule the jump about 8 months after the surgery. The company informed me that the gift certificate had expired. I was really ticked off for a long time, but there was nothing I could do. Needless to say I wouldn't recommend scheduling your jump with the group out of East Troy.

Hopefully I'm able to go sometime in the near future.

Have taken to the air multiple times. There is nothing like it! However, I am an adrenaline junkie so it is no big deal for me. This next year I am planning on working toward my "A" license. Oh, and statistically, you are about 2x as likely to die from Scuba diving than skydiving. Dead is dead right? How many of you would hesitate to throw on the ol' air tank on your next vacation??

I did it over 10 years ago,money well spent.I'm trying to get my daughter to try it so we could go together,but so far she's unsure if she wants to.

Glider rides look to be great fun,but are pricey and don't know anyone who has gone yet to give me an idea if it's worth the cost.

Have taken to the air multiple times. There is nothing like it! However, I am an adrenaline junkie so it is no big deal for me. This next year I am planning on working toward my "A" license. Oh, and statistically, you are about 2x as likely to die from Scuba diving than skydiving. Dead is dead right? How many of you would hesitate to throw on the ol' air tank on your next vacation??

That's really interesting.

Sharks can't fly.

Yet.. but I'm sure Bears can fly, and we all know how Colbert feels about bears.

I would love to go sky diving, just not sure if my surgically repaired back could handle it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

I blame my parents and their faulty genetics. I guess if I were to seriously think about it, I'd contact my neurologist and see if it would be cool. Off course, he said that "Sure you can start playing hockey I need repeat customers", so I doubt he'd give the ok.

I guess the morale of the story is, if do it while you can! Before you back goes out! Nothing like back surgery at the age of 27.

Glad you had a great time. I went in March, and I remember it pretty pretty much like you describe it. Everything is great until that door opens. We had another guy that jumps with you shoot the video. It was priceless seeing my big smile turn to shock when they kicked open the door! I'd do it again!

Shriv, why don't you recommend the East Troy group? I drove past their landing strip all the time on Hwy 20 between school and home sometimes and it seemed organized.

Anyone know where all the skydiving groups are? Any groups in Racine/Kenosha?

There is one on I94 right by Racine.

Archived