Brewer Fanatic

Hawkins to DL, Stetter called up

Suppan has been pitching fine in felief, I would rather have Braddock on the roster but I am ok with keeping Suppan if he keeps pitching decent.

With Hawkins out this give villa, Coffee, and Parra a chance to be the set up man.

Melvin believes in having a "veteran" bullpen. Before signing Hawkins and Hoffman he wanted tom pay Cordero 40 million for 4 years. Melvin has shown no inclination to let the young guys fill bullpen roles.

Cordero was at least in his prime when Melvin offered him that deal and given that Cordero's 83 for 95 since, that offer doesn't look so bad compared to the millions paid to Gagne, Riske, Hoffman and Hawkins . Hawkins, Gagne, Hoffman and even Riske were well past their primes. He's gotten something out of Hoffman, but little out of Gagne and Hawkins and next to nothing out of Riske.

I'd guess that's why historically some players love Peterson and some hate him. He really believes in what he preaches, and seems to think he can & should "correct" everyone, even those that are pitching well. I think that's sort of like a hitting coach telling Jeff Bagwell not to hit from that goofy crouched position; sure it's not "textbook," but if he's doing well with something, let him stick with it. Try to correct the guys who have the stuff, but can't seem to be successful, like Parra.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived