Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trying to bring Champions Tour to Milwaukee

bork
Verified Member

The Milwaukee Brewers are trying to bring a Champions Tour event to Milwaukee and the baseball team would organize, promote and run the event, according to an industry source with knowledge of the team's plan.

If the Brewers are successful in signing a title sponsor in the coming weeks, the inaugural tournament would be held in 2011 at the Brown Deer Park Golf Course, the source said.

JSOnline

The Brewers have really done a great job under Attanasio of building relationships with area recreation/entertainment. Let see, they've got deals with the Admirals, Summerfest, State Fair, Harley Museum, Potawatomi Bingo, and the Zoo. After bringing golf back to Milwaukee, maybe they can buy the Bucks and bring back racing to the Milwaukee Mile.

There are so many attractions and entertainment options in Milwaukee that keep trying to compete with each other for the same people and tax dollars. I'm amazed that more of them haven't figured out how much better they could do by working together. I've always wondered why Milwaukee doesn't have a city pass like other cities, where you can see everything for one price. The Brewers ticket deals are the closest thing to that right now. Great to see Attanasio and the Brewers taking a leadership role in the community.

I'd like to see them work a deal with the Bucks somehow. Maybe sell a combined ticket package of some sorts (3 Brewers games & 3 Bucks games for a discounted price), or free Bucks tickets w/ Brewer season ticket packages (and vice versa). The seasons don't overlap much so there won't be much competition between the two teams as far as getting the publc's entertainment dollars. And the Bucks could definitely use the help in the promotions department.

I'd like to see them work a deal with the Bucks somehow. Maybe sell a combined ticket package of some sorts (3 Brewers games & 3 Bucks games for a discounted price), or free Bucks tickets w/ Brewer season ticket packages (and vice versa). The seasons don't overlap much so there won't be much competition between the two teams as far as getting the publc's entertainment dollars. And the Bucks could definitely use the help in the promotions department.

I like this idea. Don't know if it would ever happen, but it would be cool. As a casual basketball fan (more of a fan of college), I wouldn't go out of my way to buy Bucks tickets, but if there was a package deal, I would be intrigued.

The best park about Brown Deer though is that it is a public course and the yardage is right for the Champions Tour. Everybody can go and play where they are going to.

You cant say that if they were to have it at the Milwaukee Country Club.

Tiger Woods made his professional debut there as well, which is kind of cool.

brewcrew...public courses better than Brown Deer in SE Wisconsin... The Bog, Nagawaukee, Washington County GC, Kenosha Brightondale, The Broadlands, Morningstar Golf Club, Fire Ridge, and--arguably--Oakwood. I haven't lived in the area since I went off to college in 1999, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Could be some cool ideas for the ProAm. Current Brewers may be out due to the timing / off days, but you could get Yount (maybe sponsor exemption to play?), Gorman, etc.

Adds to the publicity, gets more people interested. Kind of like the Lombardi classic, they could add a Brewers themed golf charity event also.

Also like to see the Brewers expand their connection to the summer festivals. They should do a ticket deal where they "theme" the whole game. For example, a ticket to a Wednesday night game gets you into Irish Fest free the following week. Brewers play Irish music during game, have Irish band in parking lot, team wears green hats or jerseys, Bernie dresses up, etc.

Could do this for most of the big ones. German fest is a natural. Obviously this is likely more favorable to the festivals, many who are on limited budgets, but the team would continue to solidify itself as part of the summer milwaukee experience.

Verified Member
I think Brown Deer was picked because it's all ready to handle an event like this in such a short time. Most other courses would probably need to be reworked to host an event like this (galleries for spectators, etc). It would be tough to get a course ready in a year.

This could be a very schrewd business decision....

The Champions Tour's popularity is growing because more of the top talent is reaching 50....like Couples....and later this year you add Kenny Perry & Calcavecchia when they turn 50, both who loved playing in Milwaukee & were crowd favorites

Brown Deer is an old school course that is well liked by the older players because it requires shot-makers who can work their ball with both draws & fades.... the new school bomb & gouge types are the ones who generally stayed away from Brown Deer because they couldn't manage the tight fairways....

One thing they could consider is using a pro-former MLB player pro-am format.....this is already done with the NFL on the Champions Tour & is quite popular....visualize the Pebble Beach Pro Am except all the amateurs are former MLB players

Archived