Brewer Fanatic

Needing bicycle assistance...

Ando Calrissian
I'd like to sell my mid-1990's Trek 850 mountain bike. I'm pretty sure I bought it in 1996. How does one go about figuring out how much to sell a bike for? It's in very good condition and I just had it cleaned up this year. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Used mountain bikes usually don't hold much value. Fortunately for you Trek makes a good frame. I would price it based on components. Without seeing it I would bet it is spec'd with Alivo or STX derailleurs or some other low end Shimano components and it's probably without a shock, correct? I would put it up on craigslist and ask maybe $200 OBO. I don't think the 850 has horizontal rear dropouts, but you could still advertise it as a good fixie conversion bike for the hipster crowd. Why are you selling it, is there something wrong with it?

I bought it long enough ago now where it doesn't fit me all that well anymore. This spring I bought my first road bike and I'm loving that (I can't wait until I build up the ability to do some long distances). The new one is a Fischer AR Super. Not this year's model, but last year's model. Anyhow, I thought I'd sell it to help finance clips and shoes for the new bike. I'd love to have a mountain bike available to keep things interesting, but this one is just a bit to small for me anymore.

By and large, it's great! Towards the end of last summer the speedo died, but fortunately I found another one almost immediately. I've only had it out once this year so far, but I'm thrilled to have the whole summer to ride this year. I didn't get used to the interstate last summer. That's going to take some time. I think I'd like to add a windscreen and some bags at some point as it looks as though this might be my machine for a bit. That being said, I would not be opposed to something with more power for 2-up riding.

Archived