Brewer Fanatic

Outfield options?

With Carlos Gomez sounding more and more likely to go on the DL, and Jim Edmonds apparently still having some nagging back issues, is there a chance the Brewers call someone up soon? Jody Gerut hasn't exactly lit the world on fire when given a chance so far this season (4 hits in 30 ABs), and I'd rather not see him starting on a regular basis.

I hope they don't go into the weekend series short handed like they did against the Padres.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It was interesting and perhaps telling that Norris Hopper wasn't in the Nashville lineup last night. With Cain hurt, Stern just getting back, Hopper's the obvious guy is he not? Especially considering he's hit .344/.417/.406 over his last 10 games and his previous major league experience. He would need to be added to the 40 man but there's one space open.

It was interesting and perhaps telling that Norris Hopper wasn't in the Nashville lineup last night. With Cain hurt, Stern just getting back, Hopper's the obvious guy is he not? Especially considering he's hit .344/.417/.406 over his last 10 games and his previous major league experience. He would need to be added to the 40 man but there's one space open.
Interesting to know. I did not know he was doing so well right now. The only downside with Hopper is that I don't think he plays CF (I could be mistaken).

Joking aside, I really don't want to hear Eric Byrnes or Jermaine Dye mentioned as possibilities at this juncture.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Verified Member

How about Eric Byrnes?
Sssssshhh! Doug will hear you! Of course, Eric is only 34, and you don't want a spring chicken out there.
Haha, way too young to be on Doug's radar.
Geoff Jenkins, then.

Verified Member

Hopper has been playing CF almost every day so far. The other option would be Olmedo. He's been playing all over and is off to a decent start. Too bad Heether is off to such a slow start.

Not a good year to be an outfielder in the Brewers organization.

Hopper's played exclusively CF this year. About half of his major league games (64 of 125), he played CF as well. I don't see Olmedo as an option. He's never played CF and he plays all over because that's his job as Nashville's utility guy. Right now, he's playing 2B while Farris is out.

Norris Hopper stinks. Macha brought up Cain's name for a reason I would think. Must mean he's ready to come back.

Just curious endaround. On what are you basing that statement? His .367 career OBP in the majors or his .316 career BA? I know you hate guys with little or no power, but we're talking about a guy to fill in on the bench for a couple weeks, not be the next starting CF. What good would it be for Cain to come up and sit anyway?

If Gomez goes on the DL you put Gerut in CF on a regular basis. There seems to be mounting evidence he hits pretty well with regular playing time, but struggles in a PH/ Sunday afternoon starter role. Bring up Hopper to ride the bench.

If Gomez goes on the DL you put Gerut in CF on a regular basis. There seems to be mounting evidence he hits pretty well with regular playing time, but struggles in a PH/ Sunday afternoon starter role. Bring up Hopper to ride the bench.
agree.

give JG regular playing time; simple as that.

not a problem.

I guess I haven't been as impressed by Gerut as some. He's just extremely average, and doesn't have any upside at this point in his career. I'm fine with keeping him around as a bench player, but I don't really want to see him getting lots of starts.

I'd be all for bringing Cain up to fill in if Gomez goes on the DL, but as others have mentioned, Cain will probably just ride the bench anyway. So what's the point? Cain can't seem to stay healthy lately, so he might not be an option anyway.

The only real differences I see between Hart and Gerut is Hart has been given many opportunities to start while Gerut has not and Gerut could probably play a good CF. Gerut put up a .845 OPS the last time he was given an opportunity to start the majority of the games.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Hart could play CF
Please no. Please. Please, please, please.

Hart is only half a step above Braun defensively now (comparatively, I'd say Gomez is 10 steps above Braun defensively) If you put him in CF, with our flyball staff, that's probably raising team ERA a run a game.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Given the Brewers are now not scheduled to face a lefty starter until after the Braves series it may not matter that much since for the next week the person shouldn't see the field and hardly hit. But I'd much rather Cain be out there 2 times a week vs LHP than Hopper or Edmonds.

Archived