Brewer Fanatic

2010-05-06 Brewers (Bush) at Dodgers (Ely), 9:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-3]

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once again, Macha had Carlos V or Coffey to use in this situation, but he shows he's got a man crush on a bad pitcher.

Seriously.

I don't think Coffey was available tonight, but between Villy, Hawkins, Parra and Hoffman, it's hard to pick against Villy.

The fact that Macha never has a hook for Hawkins is very troubling. It was clear he couldn't throw anything other than his underpowered fastball for a strike, and he was even struggling with getting that over. Why didn't he put Stetter in to face Ethier?

The fact that Macha never has a hook for Hawkins is very troubling. It was clear he couldn't throw anything other than his underpowered fastball for a strike, and he was even struggling with getting that over.
Yeah, I was a little surprised by that, even knowing Macha. If they can give Soup a relatively short rope as a starter, surely he can let go of the idea of "roles" that must be played through in that situation. I'll be awfully interested in seeing the roster and makeup of this team by the end of next month.

Anyway, I gotta say, getting Vin Scully's feed made the ending of that one more palatable--that fella is all class and dignity. I can only imagine how insufferable and painfully digging it would've been to hear any of the Chicago guys (both teams) or the Marlins' or Reds' or Cards' announcers call that (I love the Giants' guys, but they would've been bad, too). Heck, I even preferred hearing it from him over BA and Rock.

This probably will be re-posted by someone over in the Major League forum, but Hawkins is just as confused as we are about his recent performance.

A Hawkins quote from the article:

"Usually if I make mistakes, I throw hard enough (to get away with it),

but you can't make mistakes at 88, 90. You can't make mistakes at that

speed. Even if I knew what it was I'd tell you and I could go fix it. It

definitely doesn't put your mind at ease, that's for sure."

I appreciate the candor in Hawkins' answer, but it is concerning to see that not even he knows what is going on. It might be time for a DL stint for him, even though he says he is healthy.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Hawkins needs to be checked out, or Peterson needs to figure out what is going on with him. I am not ready to give up on him, as he has had some decent outings this year, but we can't keep giving up games late like this. We've already had too much of that this year.

I just don't get why Macha lets him load the bases and still leaves him in. I was (fortunately) asleep by the 9th, but it sounds like it was obvious he didn't have his command or good fastball. Would it have really hurt to put in Parrra or something? Ethier is the hottest hitter in baseball right now, and it should have been fairly obvious what was going to happen. Sure, another reliever might not have given a better result, but at least it would have been trying SOMETHING to save the game.

Taking 2 of 3 in LA is not bad at all, but this was a game that could have been won in extra winnings, and it seems like Macha didn't want to bother differing from his "formula" for the late innings. Pretty frustrating to see.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Verified Member
Unimportant note: I just read that the big error in the 1st, which was originally attributed to Fielder, was given to McGehee after the game. That's complete crap.

Why didn't he put Stetter in to face Ethier?
Mitch Stetter pitches for the Nashville Sounds.
I believe he was being facetious
Yeah, it was a rhetorical question http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Pressure is on hawing!
Ahem, the pressure was on you, not me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif The only thing saving SoCal Brew Crew Fan from my icy stare is that I said a beatdown would be on his head...not a walkoff gut punch.

I fell asleep during the Vargas stint (no need to pile on and make additional jokes about Claudio) and honestly woke up this morning expecting to learn of a shutout. Then, as WIBA sensitively woke me up by playing the call of the walkoff during the morning sports report, I thought to myself, "please don't be Hoffman please don't be Hoffman...oh, Hawkins. OK."

So - I'm glad they battled back and it wasn't Trevor who faltered. I'm trying to look at it as "only a walkoff homer prevented the sweep."

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Hawkins kind of sucks. Like really bad.
No kidding, he looks like the Hawkins that stunk for the Cubs, not the Hawkins that was pretty good in Minnesota and Houston.
Hawkins stunk in Baltimore too. The only thing he has going for him is velocity. He's Exhibit A for the argument relievers are unpredictable and capable of widely different results from year to year. Very few are consistently excellent. (Coincidently, David Riske has been when he's been healthy.)

Pressure is on hawing!
Ahem, the pressure was on you, not me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif The only thing saving SoCal Brew Crew Fan from my icy stare is that I said a beatdown would be on his head...not a walkoff gut punch.
Ooops...well aware it was on me. That should have read "Pressure is on me, hawing." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif I'm a little out of it this week...I'm used to going to bed early with games over by 8, not running out to the ballpark in the middle of the week!

That sure was a gut punch. Just like the Bucks blowing one late to the Lakers early in the season on a last second by Kobe, another cocky LA guy finishes us off. I'm hearing all about it in the office today...but if the Bucks can rebound and make it to the playoffs, why can't the Brewers?!? (Aside from the fact 90% of the league doesn't go in baseball)

I'll plan on making it up to you...I've already got my tickets for Anaheim!!!

Archived