Brewer Fanatic

Ernie Harwell dies at 92

Community Moderator

ah, that stinks. He seemed like a great gentleman and ambassador of the game.

Never really got to listen to any full broadcasts by him but bits and pieces here and there.

RIP

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Verified Member

Awesome broadcaster. Awesome guy. Still could hold an audience even as late as last year.

His farewell in Detroit last year, when he (and everyone else) knew he was dying. . .that was so remarkable.

May we all face our own mortality with such class and grace.

RIP Ernie. . .

Growing up Ernie and Uke were the voices of summer in my house. My dad was always a Tigers fan and my sister was the Brewers die-hard (and the reason I am a Brewers fan), and living on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan we could get TMJ and were well within about the range of about 3 stations carrying the Tigers. I always remember working in the backyard with my dad Tigers game on the radio, and him pausing for important pitches and plays. Ernie just had a way about calling the game that made you feel like it was a friend talking to you about what was going on. It was just very warm. Summer in Michigan just wasn't the same when he retired, but Ernie was an integral part of my childhood, and one of the reasons I am the baseball fan I am.

My prayers go out to his family. His Studio 42 with Bob Costas during last year's World Series was fantastic. He didn't believe he'd make it to Spring Training, how fitting he got to see and go out with baseball. This is baseball.

This is baseball.

Nice http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif If anyone hasn't watched the clip MLB compiled of various broadcasters' two cents on broadcasts & interviews around the league, be sure to check it out

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived