Brewer Fanatic

Eric Byrnes and his Weird Wild Ways

I haven't seen the highlight of the attempted squeeze play, but if there was ever a player to take a pitch during a squeeze play it would be Byrnes.

He had a radio program on MLB XM for a while (he must have a great agent btw) and he would say some pretty outlandish things. One time he had me convinced that he was doing the broadcast naked from his living room, saying that no one could prove he wasn't. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Heh, I bet Ichiro was ticked.

They just released him after that game. I have to imagine his career as a player is basically finished at this point, though he probably has a bright future as a broadcaster. I'll never forget him throwing his dog (with a life jacket) in San Francisco Bay during the All-Star game a couple years back.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

He's one of those guys that isn't really a superstar, but a guy you root for.

I saw him on Best Darn Sports Show once where he was telling a story about how someone broke into his apartment (dorm?) while he was in college. He claimed he jumped off his lofted bed, tackling and then pummeling the guy who broke in.

He'll get a radio show or broadcasting job somewhere if his career is indeed over.

I dunno, I always liked him, mostly cuz of his character and being a goofball. I always liked seeing him out in the field running into walls and as Stevo said the somersault throws. Outside of that I guess I can't make some arguement why you should absolutely root for, just an average player that I always liked.

(Unlike AJ Pierzinski who is an average player, and a total chatch)

Heh, I bet Ichiro was ticked.

was watching that game live and I have never seen Ichiro! show that much emotion other than joy.

He was absolutely livid with rage.

I wasn't much happier. It wasn't like watching Yost walking Howard to have Shouse pitch to Burrell anger, but it was up there.

At least get out of the way dude.

Verified Member

I saw the video clip of the botched suicide squeeze. Even though Byrnes did the wrong thing by not trying to make contact, I kind of feel a little sorry for him.

A small part of me can kind of understand the natural automatic tendency to pull the bat back after seeing where that pitch was headed. Probably since the days of Little League, guys who are trying to bunt have been pulling the bat back if the ball is way out of the strike zone. I think Byrnes was so caught off guard by the location of the pitch that the surprise of it overshadowed his sense of the situation and the importance of trying to make contact. So pulling the bat back was something of a natural reflex (maybe?)

I think maybe it is a good lesson for all MLB hitters that they have to concentrate more and actually practice suicide squeeze bunts during batting practice. Be ready for any kind of pitch and don't get caught off guard if the location is unusual.

By the time you get to MLB I would sincerely hope that you know that you must do absolutely everything you can to get the bunt down (or al least make contact) regardless of where the pitch is. I don't feel the least bit sorry for him. It was one of the most bone headed things I have ever seen at this level

He's one of those guys that isn't really a superstar, but a guy you root for.

Why?

2 quick reasons why I like him:

1. He shows up as a guest on sports talk shows on San Francisco AM 680 every so often and comes across as a humorous, intelligent, and down-to-earth guy. I like him more and more every time I hear him and really hope he turns to a career in broadcasting when his MLB days are over.

2. A few years back I was at an A's game and some bozo ran onto the field to enjoy his 5 seconds of fame. At first it was one of those ha-ha type things, but after a few minutes of avoiding security it started to get old and annoying (I paid to watch a ballgame, not to see some drunk jerk get chased by security). Anyway, at some point the guy made a sprint towards right-field and started to climb the wall (I assume he thought he could get back into the stands and avoid security). Eric Byrnes was playing right-field that day and as soon as the joker tried to climb the wall, Byrnes ripped him down and restrained him until security came. Oh... and later on in the game Byrnes made a diving attempt at a foul-ball that he missed by about 5 feet - it was awesome and hilarious.

i think AJAY has something. it really looked like he instinctually pulled the bat back, but then almost tried to stick his bat out again once he remembered what a suicide squeeze actually is. that said, i don't think i'd even let a high school player get away with that as a valid excuse (not that Byrnes was making any). glad i wasn't Byrnes as he faced his teammates in the locker room after the game.

Unlike AJ Pierzinski who is an average player, and a total chatch

do i just not know this word, or can this be the new brewerfan non-swear swear word, the way Conan used "krunk"?

Verified Member

i think AJAY has something. it really looked like he instinctually pulled the bat back, but then almost tried to stick his bat out again once he remembered what a suicide squeeze actually is. that said, i don't think i'd even let a high school player get away with that as a valid excuse (not that Byrnes was making any). glad i wasn't Byrnes as he faced his teammates in the locker room after the game.

Yup, it definitely looked like Byrnes made a last ditch effort to make contact again once he realized the implications. The whole thing just happened so fast.

I must say that in all the years I have watched players taking batting practice before games, I have never once seen anyone work on bunting balls way out of the strike zone. They usually just bunt easy pitches which are right over the heart of the plate during batting practice. It's also extremely rare for guys to even be called upon to execute a squeeze bunt too. So I don't know how much experience guys have with developing the proper mindset and actually being prepared for the possibility of a wild pitch.

Again, this is not to excuse Byrnes for not doing his job . . . but I can certainly appreciate and understand the momentary confusion he must have experienced. These guys are still human even though they are major leaguers.

I believe that pre-game batting practice is more of a warm-up and that "skill work" is done at other times.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

EdgarDiazRocks wrote:

It wasn't like watching Yost walking Howard to have Shouse pitch to Burrell anger, but it was up there.
I'd love to see a montage of BFnetters' reactions to that. I almost destroyed my friend's wall. Good thing I wasn't at my own house.

I heard Byrnes on one of the overnight ESPN radio shows and he gave a great interview. He basically said that he messed up on the bunt but that wasn't why he was released and that stories of some blow up were exaggerations. He said he was upset at himself for missing the bunt and that he was sorry for blowing off the Seattle media. He said he often rides his bike home so there was nothing unusual about him carrying it through the clubhouse. He went on to say has has nothing but respect for Jack Z and really liked him in the short time he played for him, thanked him for giving him a shot after all the injuries and missed games. He said he was released for going 3-30 or something to start the season, it is business and he understood. He said he left the team on good terms and again thanked Jack Z and the manager whose name escapes me right now. He was nothing but class in the interview.

The part I really liked was hearing him talk about playing beer league softball now. He said he was golfing with some old friends after his release and they brought up playing for a local S.F. bar they hung out in, including Byrnes in years past. Byrnes went on about how much he loves playing the game, even if it is just softball and not the majors. They won their first game 14-13 and went out for beers afterwards. He said the rolling, divet filled ground in the outfiled made him think his knees would give out anytime but he had a great time. The show host said the rumor was that he had a spectacular diving catch but that he couldn't believe no one had it on a camera phone or video to put on Youtube. Bynes acknowledged he had a great catch and said he was glad it wasn't captured on film, he didn't do it to get noticed, he just plays the game hard even in softball.

Byrnes was asked about his take on the tasered fan in Philly since he was the player who once tackled a fan. He said he would tackle the guy again even though he got in trouble with MLB for doing it . He said he would have felt awful if he just stood there and watched a guy run by who then went on to hurt a teammate.

He is probaly the only guy to play for the Oakland A's in the last 10 years or more that I have actually liked.

You just hit it right on the head, MJ. He IS a good guy. Back in my AZ days I used to delight in watching him play. He played hard all the time and gave it all he had. He's even admitted that he isn't exactly the epitome of a good stick and that was his main reason as to why he is no longer playing. He's a very down to earth guy. I once saw him at a Phoenix Coyotes game and fans were all around him and he was laughing, giving high fives, and shaking hands with other hockey fans. I would rather watch a guy who maxes out his potential, plays hard and has fun vs. a guy like Gary Sheffield who has(d) all the talent in the world, but lets his ego get in the way.

I saw the video clip of the botched suicide squeeze. Even though Byrnes did the wrong thing by not trying to make contact, I kind of feel a little sorry for him.

A small part of me can kind of understand the natural automatic tendency to pull the bat back after seeing where that pitch was headed. Probably since the days of Little League, guys who are trying to bunt have been pulling the bat back if the ball is way out of the strike zone. I think Byrnes was so caught off guard by the location of the pitch that the surprise of it overshadowed his sense of the situation and the importance of trying to make contact. So pulling the bat back was something of a natural reflex (maybe?)

I think maybe it is a good lesson for all MLB hitters that they have to concentrate more and actually practice suicide squeeze bunts during batting practice. Be ready for any kind of pitch and don't get caught off guard if the location is unusual.

This is just one big excuse. There's no explanation for a guy not trying to get the bat on the ball during a squeeze. That's what a squeeze is, get the bat on the ball at all costs. Even if you hit it foul.

It looks to me like the pitch was so far outside that if he actually made contact he would have been out of the batters box. Wouldn't that just result in him being out? I don't blame the guy for not making contact. He even admitted he messed up. I don't understand the criticism of the guy. He's a good guy that plays hard. How dumb of a decision is it to put the squeeze play on with a guy up to hit that hasn't been making good contact?

Archived