Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Casey McGehee ?

I could see the Braves making a run for McGhee but not until this winter.....Chipper will likely retire leaving a big hole to fill at 3B ....

The Braves are budget-strapped therefore they won't go after Prince (and move Glaus back to his natural position of 3B) .... plus the Braves management despises Boras more than most teams....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If McGehee keeps sucking (down to an .800 OPS right now) he won't have any value this winter. I hope he can get it going again, but a 13.4 LD% has me skeptical. And if he's not hitting, he's not worth a ton since he's a pretty bad defender.

Hellickson? Is there anything to suggest the Rays would trade Jeremy Hellickson? Isn't he the best pitcher in the minor leagues right now?

No, technically that would be Madison Bumgarner, a Giants prospect. Hellickson is the Rays best prospect, rated number 18 overall, but you're pretty much splitting hairs between pitching prospects when discussing Perez, Bumgarner, and Hellickson. The Rays rotation is already loaded, one of those pitchers would have to go make room for Hellickson the way it is, right now he's blocked and stuck in AAA unless they would promote to him the bullpen, but I don't think that would happen till later in the season. If the Rays were going to move a pitcher out of the rotation I would guess Matt Garza maybe as he's not homegrown and they are going year to year with him in Arby. James Shields has the most service time, just over 3 years coming into the season, but he's got that wonderful contract. If the Rays wanted to trade him I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Technically we it's difficult to quantify "best" prospect as I think many opinions have changed on Bumgarner from before this year as a result in his stretch of decreased velocity.

As for Garza, I don't think the Rays are particularly interested in if he was homegrown or not. I sure wouldn't care if we drafted Gallardo or if we traded for Gallardo. It seems to be irrelevant.

Shields though, I'd be on board with him for McGehee or Hart. Good K numbers, and a good ERA despite a high BABIP. Of course a much, MUCH better defensive team, but the move from the ALE to the NLC just might be good for him......

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I think McGehee's going to be solid for a long time so I'm not inclined to trade him but if I was I certainly wouldn't be comfortable penciling Gamel in at 3B. The last we heard from Gamel his defense was terrible and he had a hole in his swing that opposing pitchers were filling. I'm pulling for the kid but he hasn't given me a reason to believe.

We heard how bad it was, however having watched him last year he looks much better than I thought he would based on the scouting reports.

I don't know though, what does it take to believe in a prospect? Gamel's done just about everything needed in my mind at the Minor League level offensively. He was an average 3rd basemen last year offensively despite, again, getting really jerked around.

McGehee's defense has been terrible this year...so while I'm a believer that he's not as bad as he's shown, I don't think you can make a very strong argument against Gamel and for McGehee by using defense.

I don't know, I suppose I'm in the minority, but I was extremely impressed with Gamel last year, especially given how he was handled. I think he looked very, very impressive. Not sure what more you expected out of the kid in that situation than what he gave you, but I certainly don't see the justification for having no reason at all to believe in him.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't know, I suppose I'm in the minority, but I was extremely impressed with Gamel last year, especially given how he was handled. I think he looked very, very impressive. Not sure what more you expected out of the kid in that situation than what he gave you, but I certainly don't see the justification for having no reason at all to believe in him.
I too was impressed with Gamel. His OPS was very, very good when starting at 3B. He's the perfect compliment to our lineup. He has more range than McGehee.

I would love to deal McGehee as soon as possible, as the real McGehee is starting to rear its ugly head. Find a young starting pitcher who needs an oppurtunity, and give it to him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Gamels hitting seems to be recovering nicely at AAA but he's still missing over 1 play out of 10 on defense. He has a long way to go as a 3B but if we trade Prince it could allow him to play 1B. We found a place for Braun and could likely do the same for Gamel. He seems willing to do the work. Frankly if we're going to trade high in anticipation of a fall off my bet would be that we should move Hart rather than McGehee.

I hope people aren't freaking out about McGehee that much yet. He's basically had one really bad month (June '10), that is weighing down his numbers from this season. If he is traded, I'm not necessarily against it, but he should still bring back a pretty significant return at this point.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

mcgehee has actually been very consistent. his bb, k, and iso are identical to last year's, and while hisld/gb/fb have been funky this year, the major change is that his babip has gone from .330 to .288. He got lucky last year.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to bump this thread since, barring a colossally bad September, Casey has proven he's a pretty legit MLB hitter. He has one super-cheap season left, then his three arbitration seasons. I'd think he could realistically bring back a decent SP at this point.

Aside from the Marlins, what are some other teams people think would be good trade targets for McGehee?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Aside from the Marlins, what are some other teams people think would be good trade targets for McGehee?
Rays, Braves, Mariners, Angels, Indians, Twins, White Sox, and the Tigers just to name a few that would need a 3B/DH type of a player.

• 2 weeks later...

Angels is an interesting suggestion... real interesting. They need a 3B, Brandon Wood is in serious need of a change of scenery, and they have well over $50M committed to starting pitching next season already plus whatever Weaver gets in arbitration. They should be able to get Piniero from them for McGehee, and if the Brewers include a prospect or two they may be able to get Santana. Santana is due $8M in 2011 and $11.2M in 2012 plus $13M in 2013 w/a $1M buyout, and has had two consecutive seasons that were no better than average. In fact, Santana has only had one really good season as a starter, that being 2008, and if the Angels need to get rid of salary they may be willing to part with him for not much in return because of how much he is still owed.

I'd hate to trade McGehee simply because he is one of my favorite Brewers, but his production combined with salary control makes him the second best option to bring pitching back in return.

They should be able to get Piniero from them for McGehee, and if the Brewers include a prospect or two they may be able to get Santana.

I'd rather have Pineiro. One year for $8MM. You said it yourself, Santana has been barely average the past two seasons, while Piniero has had great control and a good groundball rate the last two seasons, resulting in FIP's and xFIP's in the mid-3's.

That's provided he's healthy, of course.

Are you suggesting we can get better value for McGehee, are you suggesting that we shouldn't trade McGehee, or are you suggesting that we can get better value ("value" = value of what we give up vs. value of what we get in return) by trading someone else for pitching?

Please elaborate.

Angels is an interesting suggestion... real interesting. They need a 3B, Brandon Wood is in serious need of a change of scenery, and they have well over $50M committed to starting pitching next season already plus whatever Weaver gets in arbitration. They should be able to get Piniero from them for McGehee, and if the Brewers include a prospect or two they may be able to get Santana. Santana is due $8M in 2011 and $11.2M in 2012 plus $13M in 2013 w/a $1M buyout, and has had two consecutive seasons that were no better than average. In fact, Santana has only had one really good season as a starter, that being 2008, and if the Angels need to get rid of salary they may be willing to part with him for not much in return because of how much he is still owed.

This is a confusing post by you.

You mention that Santana has only had one really good season and he's owed 20 million over the next two season, yet you would like to see Melvin trade McGehee and a prospect or two for him?

Granted, Santana likely would have put up slightly better numbers in the NL and his numbers this year are probably worth roughly 10 million, but you're also wanting to trade McGehee and a prospect or two for him. Santana has a nice arm so maybe we could get lucky and he has a very nice couple of years with the Brewers if Doug traded for him, but he also just as easily could be a mediocre starter for those two years at the cost of 20 million along with what's traded for him.

mcgehee has actually been very consistent. his bb, k, and iso are identical to last year's, and while hisld/gb/fb have been funky this year, the major change is that his babip has gone from .330 to .288. He got lucky last year.
I would agree. He hit a ton of ground balls through holes LY. I would bet he's had more GIDP this year too, because of this.

Santana is only 27 so it is unlikely that he will have significant decline before the end of the contract. And yes, going to the NL I am assuming a slightly better performance than in the AL. He is more likely to perform like the #2 that the Brewers need than Piniero, who will be 32 next season.

Santana is only 27 so it is unlikely that he will have significant decline before the end of the contract. And yes, going to the NL I am assuming a slightly better performance than in the AL. He is more likely to perform like the #2 that the Brewers need than Piniero, who will be 32 next season.
Hasn't the NL/AL difference for pitching been proven to be pretty minimal? I could be wrong on that one.

I wouldn't mind getting Ervin Santana for McGehee, but I doubt it would happen.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Hasn't the NL/AL difference for pitching been proven to be pretty minimal? I could be wrong on that one.

From a numbers standpoint it is pretty minimal. 4.05 ERA to 4.14 ERA. All that could mean overall is that there are better pitchers and batters in the AL. I think the perceived gap is because of being able to face a non-hitter once through the lineup(the pitcher). However that guy is usually replaced late in games with a guy who will generally have a platoon advantage against the pitcher. What appears to happen in my observation is that a weak hitter is put in the lineup on AL teams for their defense thus you see that NL teams will generally have a better hitter on average at each position. If you look through the splits what you will see is that the NL hitter is either close to or better than the AL hitter at a similar position. In fact they are relatively close except at C, 3B and SS where the NL hitter is at least 20 points of OPS better. 51 points of OPS at SS!

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

LouisEly]Santana is only 27 so it is unlikely that he will have significant decline before the end of the contract. And yes, going to the NL I am assuming a slightly better performance than in the AL. He is more likely to perform like the #2 that the Brewers need than Piniero, who will be 32 next season.

He would be an improvement no doubt, but a 4.55 xFIP the last two years isn't a #2.

Archived