Brewer Fanatic

Edmonds hurt his back Wednesday (4/28)

hawing

Link to McCalvy story

One one hand, Adam used the word "tweaked," which doesn't sound so severe.

On the other hand, he also said that Macha was ready to send Kottaras to the OF in Diego's place, had there been a 15th inning.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Normally, I'd have something to say along the lines of, 'Good thing we have Gerut as really solid depth' ... But I'm sure our rocket scientist manager will, at best, platoon Gerut in RF with Hart & play Gomez everyday in CF... batting second, of course. Because your second hitter has to be good at giving away outs, you know.

Get well soon, Jim.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, I heard them mention this on the postgame. Makes me wonder if they'll put him on the DL and call up a pitcher, since the bullpen is shot for the upcoming series.
The bullpen is short but the bench is shorter. McGehee stayed home in Milwaukee for the birth of his child. The solution of course is to DL Edmonds, cut Suppan (freeing up a 40 man spot) and bringing up both a reliever that can be trusted in a close game and an extra position player. It would be interesting to see what position player it would be. Cain is the only guy on 40 man who's an OF, but he's on the DL himself. So is Stern. By process of elimination, it would probably be Heether who despite his .205 BA, does have 5 HR. They could add a guy not currently on the 40 man by cutting Suppan. Hopper, Farris, Gindl are possibilities if they went that route. Hopper's got ML experience and can play all 3 OF spots. Farris would have value as a 25th man if just to pinch run. Gindl's off to a nice start and a couple weeks exposure to the big leagues might be good for his development.

Inglett can play some OF, so along with Gerut it's not crucial to bring up an OF'er.

I didn't like that Edmonds PH for Hart yesterday. In the end, that move may have cost the team the game. Golly a 39-9/10th year old ballplayer comes down with a sore back? Who could have predicted that? Coming soon to newspaper headline on your doorstep: "Edmonds tweaks hammy".

That explains the time it took to get to that ball in RF in the 14th. Normally it could have been a closer play at the plate.

I disagree with Invader about Suppan...I think the fact Hoffman is struggling makes it more likely they release him. If Hawkins were to become the temporary closer and Hoffman takes a mop up role until he gets straight, they will need another bullpen arm. Suppan is strictly rotation insurance...and really the 7th starter at this point. If the bullpen continues to struggle that spot could go to Stetter, Braddock, Smith or Axford.

Yeah, you are probably right. I doubt they release him since they don't feel confident in their AAA options for starters, while they probably do with their bullpen options. Since they can't move Parra, Narveson or Suppan down without releasing them, they will likely wait as long as they can. My only quibble was the more the pen struggles, the more likely they give up that rotation insurance spot for one of the relievers.

It would certainly be nice to have a right handed bat on the bench. We already had numerous times this year where the opposing manager brings in a lefty to face the bottom of the order, knowing Macha only has lefties on the bench to pinch hit for the pitcher.

I hope Edmonds' injury isn't serious, but my first thought was "at least this will give Gerut a few ABs."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I just hope this isn't one of those situations where Edmonds is injured enough that they don't let him play for a week or more, but don't place him on the DL.

It should be clear after last night's game that the team is fairly shorthanded right now (I guess McGehee is back today, though). Melvin needs to make some kind of move if Edmonds is going to be unavailable for an extended period.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived