Brewer Fanatic

Is Trevor hiding an injury?

Ennder

I'd say no he's not injured. He just has a razor thin margin of error, as do all control pitchers. If they aren't able to locate, they are going to get shelled. Trevor doesn't have a 3rd pitch and his FB is arrow straight. I realize I argued against his signing so I might appear biased, but is it really so surprising that he's capable of extreme lows given what he throws? It's not so much about being able to maintain velocity as it about being able to hit spots. If you're looking for a smoking gun with his FB velocity I don't think you're going to find it there. Suppan's velocity held steady for 2008-2009, and he was hitting 89 in his start for the T-Rats, his velocity is down .3 in his limited sample so far this season.

Is he done? I don't know, but I do know that I've been done with Macha since last season and I'm approaching that point with Melvin as well. .

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I won't post an opinion either way on how Hoffman was handled in Spring Training, but I will say I think it's 100% the cause of what we're seeing now. If he still has no command after another month or so, then I'll be worried.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I won't post an opinion either way on how Hoffman was handled in Spring Training, but I will say I think it's 100% the cause of what we're seeing now. If he still has no command after another month or so, then I'll be worried.

Rick Peterson pretty much blamed the lack of work in spring training on his WOAHs so far.

I don't know, but I do know that I've been done with Macha since last season and I'm approaching that point with Melvin as well.

Well, at least Macha seems to be acknowledging the issue as it relates to Hoffman:

“If we have a chance to win (Thursday), perhaps it will be somebody else at the end,” he said.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I would send Trevor down to AAA or something to work on his stuff.

The only way (realistically) that this could happen would be a DL stint/rehab assignment.

Maybe guys don't 'hide' injuries, but in the spirit of the thread title I was pondering the question anyway.

I don't think that players necessarily "hide" injuries, in a malicious sense, however, I think after a bunch of games, every player has aches and pains, and sometimes (especially if you are older) it may be hard to discern "an injury" from "I'm sore and getting old". And of course these guys are incredibly competitive.

On April 30, 2008 he was 0-2, 2 blown saves and a 6.52 ERA.

On April 30, 2007 he was 1-2, 2 blown saves and a 6.23 ERA.

His career month by month numbers shows his BB rate and K/BB ratio are the worst in the first month of the season. It's worrisome his K rate is down and HR rate up even compared to his typical first month stats. But this could still just be Trevor being Trevor and he'll settle down.

He has an ERA of 13.

He has given up 6 home runs in 9 innings.
He has 4 blown saves (in 7 opportunities).
He has had 9 one inning appearances and has given up at least one run in 6 of those and at least one HR in 4.
Opponents are batting .357 (and slugging .952 !)

Has he ever started this badly?

Archived