Brewer Fanatic

2010-04-27 Pirates (Karstens) at Brewers (Wolf), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-3]

I have liked Trevor Hoffman and it was a great acquisition last year and I believe he deserved another one year deal for maybe a million more. However, Brewers far overpaid and now we are left to pay the price. I really don't think he can recover from this. I know Macha will keep trotting him out there.

I am willing to give him one more chance. If he blows any of the next 4 opps he gets or massively struggles, he needs to be replaced.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The person who dreamed up the banner idea may not be very popular right about now. If Hoffman can't be trusted with one run leads, he shouldn't be the closer. His 85 mph, no movement fastball right down the middle doesn't appear to be fooling anyone. I'm sure its not popular here or anywhere in the org, but I am ready for Braddock Time. Hoffman is pretty much as spent as Suppan at this point in time. He gives up runs nearly every time he takes the mound. Not good Brewer fans, not good.

I realize it's too late to remove the banner, but I thought it was kind of dumb in the first place. His accomplishments happened in San Diego and while it's appropriate to celebrate the 600 save mark, I think the banner was overkill. And, now that he has blown up, the Brewers seem to be in an awfully awkward situation.

Has anyone in the Milwaukee media asked Trevor why he stopped throwing changeups? He threw all fastballs in his last outing and only a few changeups tonight.
It came up right away at the post game press conference and went something like-

"Yes, all the hits came on fastballs" and

"As far as I know Rick hasn't talked to him about pitch selection."

Take it easy. It's not like it was a 71 MPH fastball from a pitching machine. It was a 71 MPH curve after 91, 91, 76, and 91. And based on what I'm looking at, the ump called everything fine in that AB. Sometimes pitchers do a good job pitching.

It was a 71 mph breaking pitch that didn't really break. He's been getting himself out for about 5 games now. I'm a bit worried considering he's such a wild card for this team.

Just got home from the game and immediately came on here to vent. Trevor has looked downright terrible basically all year. Tonight would have been a perfect situation to take him out and bring in Stetter to face the lefties (or is Doumit a switch?) except for the fact that we sent Stetter down to replace him with JEFF SUPPAN! I haven't like Macha's decisions since day 1 and now for the first time I'm starting to doubt Melvin as well.

edit: removed cuss circumvention--pitchleague

Everyone realizes that it could be a huge blow to morale if they took that banner down, right? I assume that the calls to take it down are just vents?
It's not exactly a big boost to morale to see the Brewers take a lead into the 9th and have Hoffman blow the game either, is it?

The whole "Trevor Time/Hells Bells" thing is losing its luster almost as fast as the whole "Give Me Fuel, Give Me Fire" thing. Each one was about a year. I really don't care how big of a legend he is, right now he's costing the Brewers games. Please make it stop.

Good to see Suppan getting closing tips from Hoffman out there in the 'pen.

I saw this too. No wonder Trevor blew up tonight. Suppan Anti-Mojo Juice was exchanged in the conversation.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Was sitting in the Splash Zone tonight. Good times, until the 9th inning of course. I still had hope we could come back, but the Pirates have to win sometime I guess. When is it time to start being slightly concerned about Trevor?
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Early in the game Rock was talking about how they hadn't had a save chance in 9 games (for either side). Knowing how little fun the earlier save chances had been, I called it a night after the 8th thinking, "If they win I already saw the action, if they lose I'll read about it in the morning." It turns out that reading about it is only slightly less aggravating. I'd start worrying about Trevor now. It's not like these have all been bloops and errors behind him. They've pretty much been homeruns.
You may run like Mays...

Maybe its time to let the Zach Braddock era begin?
That is my question. If Hoffman blows another 3 or 4 saves in a short period of time, do they call Braddock up? Or is ti too soon for that?
This line of thinking is too radical and progressive for a management team that loves to give old, washed up pitchers millions of dollars to hold down the bullpen.

That is my question. If Hoffman blows another 3 or 4 saves in a short period of time, do they call Braddock up? Or is ti too soon for that?
This line of thinking is too radical and progressive for a management team that loves to give old, washed up pitchers millions of dollars to hold down the bullpen.
he doesn't have that veteran's savvy. Macha will never play him. whatever savvy actually is, it's more important than skill.

i only remember Parra pitching single innings this year. even though it's for the 14th, i'm surprised he was allowed to bat. nevermind, i guess it's cause we don't have much of a bench left.

i only remember Parra pitching single innings this year. even though it's for the 14th, i'm surprised he was allowed to bat. nevermind, i guess it's cause we don't have much of a bench left.
By my reckoning, Kottaras is the only position player left. Suppan is the only non-starter arm who hasn't participated today.

If Randy ".500" Wolf hadn't just pitched a ton last night, I'd put him in to PH if needed.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived