Brewer Fanatic

Uecker to have Heart Surgery [Update, reply 84-ish: Ueck back in the booth Friday 7/23]

Patrick425

I'm pretty sure that Larivee worked WGN Cubs broadcasts for a few years back in the day. He'd be a good replacement, but I'm hoping he takes a break in the summer. During pro/college football and college basketball, that guy must have like ten million frequent flyer miles. During the basketball season, he will be in Iowa City one day and State College the next.

I actually think Gorman Thomas would be a good choice to fill the Uecker role. He'd be very raw - Santo like. That said, I've always been thoroughly entertained with his stories when he has sat in the booth. He has a very good sense of humor and gift of gab.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Invader3K wrote:

Homer would probably go off on weird tangents during the game, like talking about Corey Hart turning around on a ball for two innings on end.

Is that really much different that what Uecker does?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I actually think Gorman Thomas would be a good choice to fill the Uecker role. He'd be very raw - Santo like. That said, I've always been thoroughly entertained with his stories when he has sat in the booth. He has a very good sense of humor and gift of gab.
I second that. I'd love to see them use this as an opportunity to give a former player a try in the booth. Yount and Thomas would be my top two choices.

Invader3K wrote:

Homer would probably go off on weird tangents during the game, like talking about Corey Hart turning around on a ball for two innings on end.

Is that really much different that what Uecker does?
Yeah, if Bob was talking about something like that, he would do it in a humorous and entertaining fashion, at least. Homer would be overly analytical and probably put some people to sleep pretty quickly.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This surgery is normally several hours long depending on the severity of the aortic root involvement. My feeling is it would probably be late afternoon or even the broadcast tonight before any news is given.

Uecker has successful heart surgery

By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel

April 30, 2010 3:36 p.m. |(10) Comments

Brewers Hall of Fame radio voice Bob Uecker underwent successful heart surgery Friday at Froedtert Hospital, the club just announced.

The 6-hour surgery was performed by Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin cardiothoracic surgeon Alfred C. Nicolosi.

“As of 2:30 pm, Bob is out of surgery and in the ICU. We are pleased that Mr. Uecker's surgery went smoothly today," said Nicolosi. "We replaced his aortic valve, aortic root and part of his ascending aorta. We also did a coronary bypass on one vessel."

It is expected that Uecker will remain hospitalized at Froedtert for approximately five to seven days, with a full recovery expected to run 10-12 weeks.

Uecker and his cardiologist, Jim Kleczka, gave the news on Tuesday that he had the heart conditions and would need immediate surgery. Uecker was originally apprised of the situation last September and hoped to get through the 2010 season before having surgery but the condition worsened in recent weeks.

“On behalf of the entire Brewers organization, we are relieved to know that Bob’s surgery went as planned, and we look forward to his complete and speedy recovery,” said Brewers chairman and principal owner Mark Attanasio.

“I know Bob appreciates just how eager Brewer fans are to hear his wit, passion, and knowledge of baseball as well as all things Milwaukee—since listening to him is such a big part of our summers. Get well, Bob.”

“Our family is thrilled with the outcome of today’s surgery,” said Bob Uecker, Jr., son of Bob, Sr. “We’re grateful to the staff at Froedtert for their medical and professional care; they have been terrific every step of the way. We also want to thank our extended family, friends and all of the fans who have expressed their concern for my father; we appreciate their thoughtful and kind wishes.”

Periodic updates regarding Uecker’s condition will be announced through the Brewers. I know I speak for all Brewers fans in saying what good news this is.

Get well soon, Bob!

Very nice article on this whole thing over @ SI.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/luke_winn/04/30/winn.uecker/index.html?eref=sihp

Really tells what we all feel.

Exerp:

Such is the experience of listening to Uecker. The game gets woven into the stories. For some, there's not enough actual play-by-play, and perhaps too many misjudged fly balls -- eliciting premature starts of his famed "Get up, Get up and get out of here ..." home run call -- but I wouldn't want anyone else in the booth. Uecker still rises to the occasion in big baseball moments better than anyone. His call of Ryan Braun's go-ahead homer -- "Swing a driiiive to left-center and deep" -- on the day the Brewers clinched the wild card in 2008 is still goosebump-worthy, as is his narration of CC Sabathia's final inning in that game. I was covering it, listening to Ueck on headphones in the press box at Miller Park, and can remember him saying of CC, on the verge of a complete game:

You knew me as Myday2001.

Great article, Mayday2001.

As an off topic mini-complaint, Luke Winn refers to "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson." It's The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. When Johnny retired, "starring" was changed to "with" because it was felt that nobody other than Johnny could be the star of the show.

Carry on.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Uecker is giving a live press conference right now. Seems like he is in good spirits and looking good, all things considered.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=6350584

Edit: Weird. I'm watching online and suddenly the audio and video went from being 4:3 with very low audio to being in HD and having almost stereo quality sound. Guess someone flipped a switch or something.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Nuts, I only saw the last minute or two of the presser (which just ended). Uecker still sounds raspy to me, but then again, dude just had a lot done on him. I did catch a bit where he said he's already walking two miles per day. Super-Ueck.

It's just good to see/hear him.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived