Brewer Fanatic

Can the Jason Heyward to Cooperstown talk now subside?

JohnBriggs12
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tulo put up a 5.3 WAR his rookie season, compared to Braun's 3.0

Braun's bat won him the award, since voters (at least then) voted pretty much only on counting stats.

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Pos Awards
2007 23 MIL NL 113 492 451 91 146 26 6 34 97 15 5 29 112 .324 .370 .634 1.004 154 286 13 7 0 5 1 *5

2007 22 COL NL 155 682 609 104 177 33 5 24 99 7 6 57 130 .291 .359 .479 .838 109 292 14 9 5 2 3 *6

Braun's bat was better not only on counting stats, he had 6 less TB in 190 less PA and led the league (the same league as Albert Pujols) in SLG even after 11 outs were added to his stats because he did not have the required PA to qualify.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I guess when I originally brought up Pujols I was talking offensive numbers. Braun's defense obviously was historically awful.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Heyward is 9 for 16 over his last 5 games with 4 HRs and 8 RBI's. I think like many rookies, he's going to go through peaks and valleys in his rookie year.

The media's love for him may be sickening and maybe it's a bit too early to start HOF talk, but I have a feeling he's going to have a pretty decent career and my money would still be on him for ROY.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'm ok with the media getting behind him and hyping him as much as they are. From listening to interviews, he's a good kid, with a good head on his shoulders and he seems really humble with all the success that he's had so far. I would love for a guy like him to become the face of MLB, and that doesn't happen without the media. It's just nice for them to cover a player like him for a change, even though he doesn't work in New York or Boston, and he doesn't seem like a complete showboat or a jerk. Refreshing would be the word.

I agree with prophet and would have to say that in general I am a sucker for young talent hype. It makes for a good story. Like how will Aroldis Chapmon's 102 MPH fastball translate into success in the big leagues? Even if he flops, it's a story I'm very interested in seeing play out. Therefore, I can see why the baseball media jumps on these guys. It seems like this year is a particularly talented class with Strasburg coming up pretty soon too. If you're bothered by the Heyward hype I would say brace yourself for Steven Strasburg's debut.

Exactly Briggs. For me, if they seem like good guys that really respect the game and treat the fans good, then I can't help but cheer for them. Evan Longoria, right now, is my favorite non-Brewer player, and it's probably because he's a young, talented, breath of fresh air and hopefully he gives the Yanks and Sox huge headaches for the next decade or so. I actually wish he would be hyped by the media much more, and I don't think I'd get sick of it, unless it turns him into an arrogant jerk. But, so far I don't see that happening. It's kind of a double edge sword, because I think he's the best overall player in that division, but since he doesn't play for the big two, he doesn't get the hype. Hayward, Strasburg, and Chapman, on the other hand, don't have to play in that division, so I think they have a better chance at that media affection.

He's on pace for 50 homers, 150 rbi and 100 walks. If a Brewers rookie were doing that through the first month, the site would shut down due to high traffic screaming his praises
I'm sure the site was going pretty nuts during Braun's rookie year.

But Heyward is currently hitting better than Braun did in his rookie season (and this season)..at 20. And I'm assuming his defense in RF will be better than Braun's at 3b

I watched Strasburg make his AAA debut Friday night. It was very impressive: 6ip, 6k, 1h, 1bb, 0er, no fly balls and just 65 pitches. If he's even close to that effective if/when he's called up, then the attention will quickly move from Heyward to Strasburg. At the same time, Heyward definitely deserves the attention he's getting - his numbers jump off the page, and then you realize he's a rookie. Wow.
You may run like Mays...

It is going to be all but impossible for Strasburg to win ROY though since they will shut him down early almost for sure and he isn't coming up until late already. I'm sure Strasburg and Chapman will get tons of buzz when they come up though. Jesus Montero is another guy who will get tons of press if he comes up since he is on the Yankees.

hate the media, not Heyward.....it's not his fault

If you look at Heyward objectively you can't help but be impressed....imagine if he had any protection in the Braves pathetic lineup (he's only hit from the 6 or 7 hole thus far)

I guess my question was more to whether or not the Braves' lineup is all that bad. They've had some rough starts in Glaus, Escobar, McLouth, Cabrera, Diaz, & by their own standards Chipper Jones & Brian McCann. It's pretty obvious that Heyward should be hitting 2, 3, 4, or 5, but I just don't think the Braves have a bad lineup.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think the Braves have a good lineup. There guys are just having bad starts. The Braves were my wild card pick before the season starts and I still think they might do that. They have the pitching, just got to get the guys off to bad starts rolling. Of course I hope that does not start with this series vs the Brewers. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Bump

Heyward's stat line after hitting .372 the first 19 days of May is now .288 AVG 8HRs 29 RBI .982 OPS

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 3 months later...

Archived