Brewer Fanatic

2010-04-26 Pirates (Duke) at Brewers (Gallardo), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 17-3]

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thing Escobar isn't just a .700 OPS player then, unless of course he's not going to get better from his first taste of MLB and never be more than he was as a 22 year old getting his first extended action. I said .700+ because he's certainly not the sub .700 player you painted him out to be, hopefully he'll end up around the mid .700s which is plenty good for his first full season in MLB.

I figured you'd throw out his ground ball percentage as proof even though it's never been an issue in his career, and he's almost always batted at the top of the order. Until it happens and he has an inordinate number of GDPs, it's an empty argument against him. Escobar batting 8th is the same as Yo not being the opening day starter last year... it has nothing to do with talent or results, and everything to do with Macha young players can't handle pressure theory.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If the Brewers ever go into a slide, I think the IGT needs to be "talk like a pirate" themed.

"Gosh, we suck. We can never beat the Brewers in Milwaukee. Our team has lost for so many years now, I've lost count. And it's not looking much brighter in the future. I'd rather not even come to the ballpark. Our ballpark, PNC Park, is so beautiful that we kind of shame it. I wish we still played in Three Rivers. At least we had a winning tradition there."

Oh, that's not what you had in mind, is it? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Back to the game, I'm kind of embarrassed by the Brewers. It's one thing to win big through 7 1/2 innings, but to pile on at the end is kind of like a High School game. I know the spirit of the game is to play all 9 innings but at some point I felt it was getting ridiculous. At least Fischer held Gomez at third on that single.

I'm glad the Brewers didn't just sit down and swing at any and everything to get it over with but, jeez I kind of feel bad for the Pirates and their fans. I know that PNC was our own House of Horrors for quite some time up until a couple of years ago but this is getting kind of ridiculous to me. I'm sure others may chime in and flame my opinions (on the record via a post or off the record muttering to themselves about that crazy pitchleague guy) but tonight was fun to watch but also not much fun at the same time. It's almost like playing a video game when you go 162-0, hit .435 as a team with 656 home runs and win just about every game by the score of 83-2. After a very short while, it would get old to me.

I'm going to enjoy the success, of course, but it's kind of unsatisfying when you whoop up on a team. I never enjoyed it when I played ball in High School and I still don't enjoy it now.

Anyways, go Brewers! Win another one tomorrow!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Community Moderator
I had a GREAT time at the game, especially after seeing a few losses in a row. I can't remember the last time I have been to game with that small of a crowd. It was announced at 25,000 but there were only about 15-17,000 actually there. I'm sure the Bucks game had something to do with it. There were only about 5,000 people left to see the 9-run bottom 8th. It is somewhat of a pain driving in from Madison on a weeknight, but it was worth it for the $1 dogs and the most runs that I have ever seen the Brewers score in person (out of hundreds of games).

Was a good game to watch... Wish I coulda stayed til the end.. unfortunately I have to get up at 3am so we left just before the B8 (ugh)

Couple quick notes... B.A. was having some fun with our section about the Buck's score... In between innings we called up and asked and he did the two finger point to eyes, point to field.. ie I need to pay attention to this game.. (course the Bucks were at commercial during this time so he couldn't tell us)

Escobar's broken bat flew into the stands and hit a kid... kid walked out on his own power, but the kid needed some medical attention as he was bleeding from a wound on his head. (couldn't see where but the Wife thinks it got 'em in the nose)

You knew me as Myday2001.

Archived