Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Howard signs 5 year/$125 mil extension

bklynbrewcrew

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This pretty much sets the ceiling for Prince. He should not get as much $ as Howard. More like 5 years, $110M.

Similar hitters but Prince is about 5 years younger with Boras as an agent. He's definitely going to get more than that and there's no way we should pay it.

So you would tie up 30% of our payroll on one player every time?

Not me.

This assumes that the Brewers payroll over the next 5 years stays where it is today. Also not very likely. Ticket prices will probably go up a bit over that time and a new local TV deal will be in place at some point here.

Prince is closer to 4 years younger than 5 years younger. Also like CBC said, ROY, MVP and WS ring trump HR Derby winner. Not to mention, Howard's defense is solid, while Fielder is amongst the worst in the league at the position.

sheethead[/b]]This pretty much sets the ceiling for Prince. He should not get as much $ as Howard. More like 5 years, $110M.

5yr $100 mil is the max the brewers should spend. Even though I think it would be a smarter move to invest that money on Weeks, McGehee, and another pitcher

This is a good point. If the 'Crew is going to re-up Prince, I'm guessing the odds are greater if they do so before these other guys sign.

I wouldn't mind that 5/$125 deal...I'd think Prince would still be trade-able 2 years into it if the bottom falls out on the team.

a new local TV deal will be in place at some point here.

The TV deal was resigned last year I believe.

Brewers TV contract

It appears as though the existing deal with FS Wisconsin runs through 2012. According to the article it is the lowest valued deal in MLB. Despite the fact that the market is the smallest in MLB my bet is that the Brewers have more total TV viewers than many other teams, ie Kansas City, Cleveland, etc. I believe that it was the radio deal that was just re-upped.

The 2012 free agent market for first basemen just got appreciably weaker. If either Pujols or Gonzalez come off the market too before Fielder signs an extension, I think it becomes 99% likely that Fielder goes the FA route.
And I believe that St. Louis will find a way to pay whatever it takes to keep Pujols. I also agree that Fielder is overwhelmingly likely to test the free agent waters.

a new local TV deal will be in place at some point here.

The TV deal was resigned last year I believe.

Brewers TV contract

It appears as though the existing deal with FS Wisconsin runs through 2012. According to the article it is the lowest valued deal in MLB. Despite the fact that the market is the smallest in MLB my bet is that the Brewers have more total TV viewers than many other teams, ie Kansas City, Cleveland, etc. I believe that it was the radio deal that was just re-upped.

That article was from 4 years ago. I am pretty certain they reupped the deal with FSNWi

EDIT:

Found it.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/44072747.html

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

So you would tie up 30% of our payroll on one player every time?

Not me.

Yes, when that player is one of the most talented and popular players of the game. A five year deal at Prince's age is not that risky, especially given that I assume the team could get insurance on it.

The downside of this deal, like some mentioned, is that it makes it more likely that Boras will be determined to have Fielder test free agency. I assume Pujols will re-sign with the Cardinals, so Prince's only real competition on the FA market after 2011 will be Gonzalez (assuming he does not re-sign as well), and lesser guys like Lance Berkman.

I think in about another month we'll have a pretty good idea if the Brewers have any shot at retaining Prince beyond 2011 or not.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The 2012 free agent market for first basemen just got appreciably weaker. If either Pujols or Gonzalez come off the market too before Fielder signs an extension, I think it becomes 99% likely that Fielder goes the FA route.

But to who? I'm not sure there will be a lot of teams that will be bidding for Prince. The big market teams that I can see going after Prince would be the Dodgers, Cubs, White Sox, and the Mariners. The Cubs lose Lee but I'm not sure the Cubs will be able to add another $18-25m onto their roster though with Soriano getting $18m, Dempster $14m, Ramirez at $16m, and Zambrano at $18m this wouldn't be including an extension for Fukudome or Lilly either. So I think you can cross the Cubs off the list though they could go all out and sign Fielder and not sign Fukudome though all of their other players like Soto will be getting more expensive at that time also.

Now you have the Dodgers who theoretically should have the money to sign Prince but will have to start resigning some of their own young talent in Loney, Kemp, Ethier, and Martin. So the Dodgers are not going to have that much money to spend on a free agent like Fielder. Now the White Sox also will have to make a decision between Buehrle and Prince I don't see the White Sox being able to get both. Peavy is going to be really expensive for the White Sox in 2012 and I would expect Buehrle to get a contract similar to what Peavy will have at that time. Also Rios will be an expensive piece along with Bobby Jenks if they resign him to a long term deal. Now Quentin will also begin to get expensive for the White Sox. The Mariners are also in the same boat as the Dodgers, Cubs, and White Sox. The Mariners will have pieces that will be getting rather expensive along with do the Mariners extend Lee? Along with some of the Mariners younger talent getting more expensive with arbitration raises.

The wild card team will be the Red Sox if Gonzalez is not available Fielder will be their #1 choice assuming Pujols is also not available. I don't think the Red Sox would try and sign both Fielder and Gonzalez I don't see the Red Sox having that much money to spend on both of them. Definitely wouldn't be able to afford both Fielder and Pujols or Pujols and Gonzalez. I don't see the big spending teams that will have an opening for Prince. If Prince played 3B then I could see the Yankees trying to snatch him up and moving Rodriguez to DH but I don't see that happening and I don't see Fielder being the DH for the Yankees either. One of Jeter or Rodriguez is going to have to be moved to the DH spot by 2012. I am just skeptical of the actual market for Prince in free agency of it being all that high even without Howard. I believe Prince will not find a deal any better than what Howard got in free agency. I just don't see the teams that will have the money spending it on Prince.

Archived