Brewer Fanatic

Suppan to the bullpen; Narveson to start

brewtown82

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh. The right move has been made, in getting Suppan out of the rotation. But then they still manage to pick the lower upside guy (who hasn't commanded his pitches at all this season) to start. I guess, 'hooray'
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would rather of Parra as well, but Parra has been good out of the pen while Narveson has struggled. Maybe they feel Narveson will be better starting. I know last year Narveson seemed to struggle out of the pen and when he got starts down the stretch he pitched much better.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I also think Soup can very valuable out of the pen if they use him the right way (2-3 innings at a stretch during lopsided games) as there have been times this year when we burned through 3 relievers in 3 innings as our long guys were going long.

Don't forget that Narveson was pretty great at the end of last year and in Spring Training this year. Parra was neither of those things. Parra's numbers have been good this year so far, but he has given up some very hard hit balls. Let's see what Narveson can do. Pitching past the 5th inning would be useful.

Well of the 3 options for the 5th spot, I like this second best, if it's true.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

McCalvy says Narveson is in the rotation because of his spring and because Parra has looked so good as a reliever.
Wonderful, Parra looks good as a reliever over a few outings and he becomes the reliever. Nothing like using a small sample. At least Suppan is out of the rotation. Hopefully when another pitcher gets hurt Parra will go into the rotation instead of Suppan. With Macha's reasoning we could still end up with Suppan in the rotation if he doesn't look good coming our of the pen.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

sargennm]I'm not complaining about this. It's a step in the right direction.

Exactly. Suppan should have never been in the rotation to begin with. I would rather have Parra as well, but if Brewers management had to choose between Suppan in the rotation or anyone else I am just glad that Suppan is not pitching every five days anymore.

Narveson earned the spot because of his performance in September 2009 and Spring Training this season, Macha said. Of the three candidates for the fifth starter role -- Narveson, Suppan and lefty Manny Parra -- Narveson had the best Spring Training by far.

During the spring, he pitched 13 innings over five games and did not allow a run on 10 hits. Suppan and Parra each finished with an ERA of more than 5.00.

Narveson has struggled a bit out of the bullpen, including Saturday's game in which he allowed three runs to score in the eighth on two hits and two walks. In the ninth, however, he came back and retired the side in order.

Link

I know it's a waste of 12.5 Million bucks, but I think the way the Brewers can maximize Suppan's value to the Brewers is to trade Suppan for nothing or just dump him off the roster and bring up Stetter, or Braddock. What's the point of keeping Suppan on the roster because management gave him a crazy contract? That just ends up hurting the team more that dropping him, eating the cash, and allowing other pitchers who have a much better chance to be effective in the bullpen pitch for the Brewers.

When the best you can hope for a veteran pitcher who's making 12Million bucks is an ERA between 5-6 with a bunch of hard hit balls right at defenders, it's time to pull the plug entirely.

Some ridiculous comments from Melvin.

There's still the argument of whether or not Suppan should have been given the spot in the rotation coming out of spring training, and when he was awarded the fifth spot despite a pretty ugly spring, it was assumed money was the factor since Suppan is set to make $12.5 million this year. But Melvin said that wasn't the case.

"The investment part of it, I think people make too much of that," Melvin said. "People say he's making more money so he gets more of a chance. I think you give him a chance because the guy's started 30 games 11 years in a row. That's what you give the chance to. It's got nothing to do with the money."

Comments from Suppan as well.

I know it's a waste of 12.5 Million bucks, but I think the way the Brewers can maximize Suppan's value to the Brewers is to trade Suppan for nothing or just dump him off the roster and bring up Stetter, or Braddock. What's the point of keeping Suppan on the roster because management gave him a crazy contract? That just ends up hurting the team more that dropping him, eating the cash, and allowing other pitchers who have a much better chance to be effective in the bullpen pitch for the Brewers.

When the best you can hope for a veteran pitcher who's making 12Million bucks is an ERA between 5-6 with a bunch of hard hit balls right at defenders, it's time to pull the plug entirely.

I hear what you are saying, but I am sure it has a lot to do with preserving depth in case of an injury in the rotation which is somewhat understandable after what happened last season. I just can't wait until the Suppan era is over

I know it's a waste of 12.5 Million bucks, but I think the way the Brewers can maximize Suppan's value to the Brewers is to trade Suppan for nothing or just dump him off the roster and bring up Stetter, or Braddock.
The $12 million is already wasted, it's sunken cost. If we can find a trading partner, do it. I'd love to see Stetter or Braddock back up.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I don't mind Narveson taking the spot over Parra. I would've liked to see Parra in there, but I guess it's worth seeing if Narveson is better in the rotation. Especially since Parra has actually been good in the pen so far. I'm just excited that Soup got pulled so early. I thought he'd last a lot longer in the rotation than he did.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

If we can find a trading partner, do it. I'd love to see Stetter or Braddock back up.

Stetter makes the most sense to me. While I have no huge problem with Parra occasionally being used as a LOOGY, I'd rather see him facing multiple batters when he pitches. There's a definite need for a guy like Stetter imo, much moreso than Suppan.

I really don't think the Brewers are going to trade or DFA Suppan, though. I just don't think Melvin can get away from viewing him as 'rotation insurance', and insurance he's already paying through the nose to have. From some of the comments in the JS blog that trwi7 linked, you can tell Melvin still likes something(s) about Soup.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Narveson earned the shot, no doubt. My guess is Parra will get his shot before year end. In the meantime he can fill Stetter's role. I'd hang on to Suppan too. He can fill the mop up role and maybe chew up some innings. He is also better than anything at AAA in case of an injury. Maybe he can get his location back through some time in the pen. DFA'ing him now doesn't make that much sense at this point...he's only taking Stetter's spot. There will be plenty of injury spots to fill at some point.

I'd also stick up for Suppan the person. We never really know these people that well personally, but his public face has been solid. He seems like a good person and a solid citizen. He didn't steal anything either. The Brewers management fell all over themselves to sign him. He seems to have tried his best, he's just getting older and less effective. He could still play a role before the year is out.

Archived