Brewer Fanatic

2010-04-25 Cubs (Wells) at Brewers (Bush), 1:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 12-2]

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where was the 0-1 pitch to soto?
Right in the zone. Not really borderline at all. The ump has been really inconsistent. Not sure if it has gone against us like it did early. Have not been watching the game to closely anymore.
Thats what I thought. Sure looked good to me. I haven't been watching all that closely either. Its kind of like the sun - hurts to look directly at it. I keep hearing loud cracks of the bat when the Cubs are batting though

This team, these players, are a lot better than what they have shown in this series. Macha has got to go.
Macha does a lot of things that annoy me too, and there is no reason to go into them. But, games like this happened under Yost too. It makes me wonder about the players when you see an entire series against a rival played like this. What sort of manager is it going to take to get them to play smart, and consistent.
You may run like Mays...

No kidding! There is a guy in the hospital and all the posters can say is "Stupid Cubs fan"?
Anyone wondering what sort of buffoons post at jsonline on any given day need only read the comments on that one article.

You do realize that we could have easily pushed Wolf back into this series by having Suppan take his normal turn. We have been swept twice by the Cubs and they haven't seen Gallardo or Wolf yet.
1- 5 against the Cubs so far, the Crew took one (and gave one away) in the first series.
You may run like Mays...

Hey guys. Like I mentioned earlier, I was at the game today. No, I didn't personally see the guy fall over the railing, but it happened about 15 feet in front of our seats in Friday's. My wife did see it. She said a couple people tried to grab his feet before he tumbled over, but weren't able to stop his fall. Hopefully he is OK.

Anyway, the main point of my post is that in my 22 seasons of attending Brewers games (I just turned 30 last month), I think I can honestly say this was one of the worst losses I have seen first hand. It wasn't just that the Brewers lost, or that they lost by 10 runs. It was the fact that it was basically a massacre. They had already lost the series to the Cubs, and proceeded to not put up any sort of fight whatsoever. This team looks like it has no spark or fight in it. I don't blame Macha for this one. I do think he left Bush in too long, but by the time I think he should have yanked him, the game was lost anyway. It's not like the offense put up any sort of competitive fight anyway. From my viewpoint, it seemed like Bush was getting squeezed a bit, but not enough that it would have ultimately mattered in the outcome of the game.

What made things worse was the amount of Cubs fans at the game. The wife and I had seats two rows behind home plate (section 119). We actually sat next to a middle aged couple of Cubs fans. They were from Brookfield. As I said calling into Homer on 540 after the game, I guess they were just "mentally defective". Actually, they were nice people. What made it worse, though, was that once the Cubs took the lead, they were pretty quiet. It's like they almost felt sorry for us. It was bad.

I did not enjoy this game at all. We actually left after the 8th inning, and I was glad to be out of there. I don't know why, but being at this loss put me down a lot more than many losses in the past. It's one thing to see the Brew Crew lose, as that is nothing new, but this was downright embarrassing and shameful.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This team, these players, are a lot better than what they have shown in this series. Macha has got to go.
Macha does a lot of things that annoy me too, and there is no reason to go into them. But, games like this happened under Yost too. It makes me wonder about the players when you see an entire series against a rival played like this. What sort of manager is it going to take to get them to play smart, and consistent.
These kind of games happen in the sport of baseball. I was there and it sucked but I don't understand always having to blame someone. The last guy I was blaming was macha, though. The PLAYERS got their butts handed to them this series. It happens.

Yeah, I agree with rluzinski. Like I said in my post earlier, I was somewhat critical about Macha leaving Bush in too long yesterday; but most of the criticisms you could legitimately level against the manager in this series would be nit picking. What is a manager going to do when his best starter gets shelled in the first couple innings, or when his lineup that scored 37 runs the last series only scores a total of 4? No amount of lineup tweaking or pitching substitutions is going to create a winning situation in any of the three games the Brewers just gave up.

The players have to take it upon themselves to do better at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Its hard to blame Macha for these losses, but in listening to his interviews, I can see why this team shows up flat and lethargic at times. Macha is an anti-spark. I have no knowledge what he's like in the clubhouse, but for some reason I can picture him taking a long nap after flipping through a copy of Where the Wild Things Are.

Flat and lethargic? Could you you picture a fired up team getting their butts handed to them? Should they be high fiving after groundouts? Hell, when players get excited for doing something good while they are getting blown up, fans will often criticise that as well.

Teams get fired up when they play good, not the other way around. Isn't that obvious?

Flat and lethargic?

Yeah. Flat and lazily heading out the field after another lackluster inning of hitting. Defense that never looked ready to make a play (might have something to do with Doug Davis and his awesome delivery strategy of putting opposing hitters to sleep in the batters box - how can I argue, he's made millions doing it). We have a starting pitcher that thinks he's making good pitches despite his 9.1 IP/9 ER/16 H!/3 BB/6 K/3 HR!/8.68 ERA!/2.04 WHIP! I'm sure I know who's telling him he's making good pitches.

The only hustle I saw on Saturday night was Coffey coming out of the pen. It was refreshing.

Teams get fired up when they play good, not the other way around. Isn't that obvious?

So I should expect to see my team deflate and wear the look of defeat when they are down 2-0 in the seventh inning? I wonder why Pujols (or any Cardinal in general) NEVER shows me this body language when they are down.

One of these years, the Brewers will have a Manager (or Catcher - I'll take one of two) that I do not despise as a professional baseball employee.

Who specifically was wearing the look of defeat? I'd like to see what that looks like exactly. And are you sure they weren't wearing the look of defeat after..... failing at something? Because I've seen Pujols look pretty defeated after actually being defeated. I'm going to start saving all my DVRs, so people can show me the look of apathy and defeat that supposedly contributed to the defeat.

Call me a sceptic but I think most of this stuff is just made up after the fact. Had the Brewers come back to win Saturday's game, they would have been lauded for having that never-give-up additude. Man, you could see it in their eyes... they were going to find a way!

Because I've seen Pujols look pretty defeated after actually being defeated.

Not me, he always looks ticked off after failing. At least when I'm watching. Being ticked off and wearing the look of defeat appear different to me. Maybe its just me, but I can somehow differentiate the two. If you haven't seen players look defeated, try reviewing some tape of the past two Brewers series. There was plenty.

Call me a sceptic but I think most of this stuff is just made up after the fact.

Well I was there yelling for two specific players to chin-up, and honestly I don't feel I need to discuss which ones. The game was not over, but they could have fooled me. With the attitude being worn, there was very little chance of comeback success on that night.

Archived