Brewer Fanatic

2010-04-23 Cubs (Dempster) at Brewers (Suppan), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 8-1]

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see no reason to put Parra in the rotation instead of Suppan. Parra has given up lots of runs in relief. There is no way I want Suppan sitting on the bench and making an occasional appearance. He is an innings eater. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Management should issue a refund and personally apologize to every Brewer fan who watched or attended this game. There was absolutely no reason to have Suppan out on the mound today. Every game matters, and you can't generously give away free wins to your rivals.

We all knew Suppan would get shelled. This was clear to everyone.

I see no reason to put Parra in the rotation instead of Suppan. Parra has given up lots of runs in relief. There is no way I want Suppan sitting on the bench and making an occasional appearance. He is an innings eater. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.
Too bad he is so full from eating the nine innings from his two starts that he couldn't eat a couple more.

I missed the game today, but going over the box score the one thing that stood out to me was that Escobar had 2 more errors. Can someone describe those errors? He now has 5 on the season, and while he has made some spectacular plays, he has also made some erratic throws. Is this a case of small sample, bad first baseman, underdeveloped SS? Is there a reason to question his defense thus far considering how everyone said he had plus-plus skills?

I missed the game today, but going over the box score the one thing that stood out to me was that Escobar had 2 more errors. Can someone describe those errors? He now has 5 on the season, and while he has made some spectacular plays, he has also made some erratic throws. Is this a case of small sample, bad first baseman, underdeveloped SS? Is there a reason to question his defense thus far considering how everyone said he had plus-plus skills?

First one was when they had Lee picked off of 1st with a runner on 3rd. Escobar got a throw from Fielder, he saw the runner going home and threw it wide. Second was a grounder, he was ranging towards 3rd and didn't set his feet and Fielder couldn't pick it.

I'm strangely not too bothered by this game tonight, all things considered.

You knew that Dempster owned us, and Suppan is Suppan (so I guess I could say I'm more upset on the larger issue surrounding tonight's game--put Parra in the rotation, please), and as little as I like seeing drunken Wrigleyville frat guys and mooks from awful Chicago suburbs make themselves at home at MP, I've long since given into the fact that the smallest market in baseball abuts one of the very largest, and have realized that for them to think coming into our park in numbers is some kind of accomplishment really reflects worse on them.

Eh. It's time for Sharpie to start banking it around, and tomorrow would be a good start. 1-4, but I still feel we have the better team than these guys.

No reason to question his defense. He has the tools to be a spectacular defender. We are just used to our SS making every play he gets to because JJ was so solid. This is what I kind of expected from Escobar. A small drop off from JJ to Escobar at least at the start. Escobar has just as strong an arm as JJ if not stronger but he isn't as accurate with his throws. If, sorry, WHEN Escobar gets consistent, he will be a spectacular SS.

I blame Wang.

Management should issue a refund and personally apologize to every Brewer fan who watched or attended this game. There was absolutely no reason to have Suppan out on the mound today. Every game matters, and you can't generously give away free wins to your rivals.
My first game at MP in almost a year. Just good to be back in the park, despite the stinker. Cubs fans (around me) were unusually docile.

They gave Gomez an error?
The baserunner went from second to third on the throw. Have to determine a cause-and-effect.

I'm still at a loss over this scoring decision. So Gomez gets an error for trying to throw the runner out at home? It was a really good throw, and would have probably gotten the out had Zaun held on. Is that the play he got it on?

Maybe this is commonplace among MLB scorers, but I'm definitely NOT gonna give the benefit of the doubt to the moron who scores at MP. He's the absolute worst in the league. I almost died when he ruled Rickie's missile an error in the 1st.

Guys, it has to be an error on the play. The runner stopped between 2nd and 3rd, then went to 3rd when the ball got away from Zaun. It needed to be an error on Gomez in the opinion of the official scorer because the ball did short-hop Zaun.

Nah, that is just a terrible call by the scorer. Errors should pretty much be done away with though, they are an antiquated notion, especially the OF errors. Corey Hart loses a routine flyball in the sun and the ball drops for a 'double', Gomez makes a perfect throw to the plate and the C doesn't hold on and it is an error. Gomez bunts and the guy rushes to try to make a play but can't field it cleanly and it is an error. Someone hits a rocket right at the 3B who doesn't make the play but doesn't actually touch the ball so it is a hit. Someone makes a throwing error on a double play and it isn't an error since you can't make an error on a double play. The entire error system is just bad and the concept of the error is misplaced since missing a ball due to lack of range is not somehow better than missing it because you bobbled the play.

The baserunner went from second to third on the throw. Have to determine a cause-and-effect.

I'm still at a loss over this scoring decision. So Gomez gets an error for trying to throw the runner out at home? It was a really good throw, and would have probably gotten the out had Zaun held on. Is that the play he got it on?

The throw was one-hopped which made it tough to handle, allowing the other runner(s) to advance. Something happened to allow the guy to get to third, it has to be accounted for.

I see no reason to put Parra in the rotation instead of Suppan. Parra has given up lots of runs in relief.
2007: 7 ER in 17.1 IP

2008: 5 ER in 7 IP

2009: No relief appearances.

2010: 0 ER in 7.2 IP relief

Total: 12 ER in 32 IP relief = 3.38 ERA

Not exactly what I would consider lots of runs. Small sample this year, but it looks like Parra might just have found a role as an effective reliever. Perhaps his current success would be a reason to keep him in the bullpen.

I knew this game would be ugly before it started. Suppan going for us and Dempster going for them. Suppan stinks as we all know and Dempster just OWNS the Brewers. So I was not surprised they lost and it was ugly. And I did find it funny that on the first pitch Suppan threw Theriot ripped it for a double.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I see no reason to put Parra in the rotation instead of Suppan. Parra has given up lots of runs in relief.
2007: 7 ER in 17.1 IP

2008: 5 ER in 7 IP

2009: No relief appearances.

2010: 0 ER in 7.2 IP relief

Total: 12 ER in 32 IP relief = 3.38 ERA

Not exactly what I would consider lots of runs. Small sample this year, but it looks like Parra might just have found a role as an effective reliever. Perhaps his current success would be a reason to keep him in the bullpen.

Sorry let me rephrase that.

I see no reason to put Parra in the rotation instead of Suppan. Parra

has given up lots of runs in relief.

I thought that statement would have been over the top enough to be easily recognized as sarcasm.

I blame Wang.

Archived