Brewer Fanatic

Dish Network vs Charter

Blancofan1

We are moving to an apartment in Plover and have the option of either DISH Network or Charter for TV service. Personally I would prefer DirectTV, but since it's not an option I would like to hear some opinions one which of the two choices may be best/most reasonable.

We would have 3 TV's--1 HD, decent internet desired--at least 6Mbs, and no need for phone service. At least one DVR is a must and we would prefer to have 2. HBO and Showtime are important along with MLB Network and FSN being a must. I'm considering DISH for the TV service and going with something else for internet.

Just looking for personal experiences with either service and if comfortable, what anyone who has similar services pays per month for them. Thanks BF

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

I know this is partly heresy, but we have Charter and it's fine. We get every Brewers game, and all the HD ones that are offered. We also get MLB Network in HD. DVR service is fine. Their internet service is pretty good, and very fast. No problems with outages or anything like that.

We actually just switched to DirecTV from DISH at the business I co-own. Saved us about 20 bucks a month (at least for the first year), and we get all the same channels.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'd guess that some kind of central sharing thing is installed for DISH and that Blancofan1 probably wouldn't need a dish of his own.

It'd make sense to check into legalities, though. While a lot of apartments seem to restrict installation of satellite equipment, there may still be laws that would protect the tenant's right to have it.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Yeah, the apartment complex has DISH installed and I assume some kind of agreement with them. I'm going to look into the possibility of getting DirectTV, but am leaning towards Charter just to have everything I want in one bill.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Yeah, the apartment complex has DISH installed and I assume some kind of agreement with them. I'm going to look into the possibility of getting DirectTV, but am leaning towards Charter just to have everything I want in one bill.
I live in Plover and have had Charter for around 10 years now. Believe it or not, I don't have too many complaints. I would like to have the NFL network, but don't need it. I have all the other channels that I really wanted, including FSN HD. I would like to more HD channels, but they do have a decent selection. If you pay the $5.00 extra per month for the upgrade from a digital receiver to an HD receiver you get all the standard cable channels that they offer in HD for free (the network stations, FSN, TNT, HGTV, ESPN, ESPN2, etc).

I did look into getting DISH or DirectTV a while ago to see if it would save me any money, and since I have cable and high-speed internet with Charter, it is cheaper than one of the satellite companies. If I get rid of the cable, my internet bill would have gone up like $20 per month which negated any savings there could have been from a dish.

I also tend to get pretty good package deals through Charter. When a deal that I am on expires, I call them up and ask if there are any packages that contain the things that I need. If I don't like what I hear, I just call back and try again with someone else.

I had Charter out here in the country and the HD was terrible. My tv is 1080p, and I would get diagonal lines across the baselines when the camera waould pan across the field. Same for football, racing, whatever. Wherever there was a long, straight line, when the camera panned across it, I'd get these maddening diagonal lines across it. TV tech at Best Buy told me it was due to Charter broadcasting in "i" instead of "p".

We switched to Dish, and not only are the lines gone, the picture is better by far in every way.

I had Charter out here in the country and the HD was terrible. My tv is 1080p, and I would get diagonal lines across the baselines when the camera waould pan across the field. Same for football, racing, whatever. Wherever there was a long, straight line, when the camera panned across it, I'd get these maddening diagonal lines across it. TV tech at Best Buy told me it was due to Charter broadcasting in "i" instead of "p".

We switched to Dish, and not only are the lines gone, the picture is better by far in every way.

I'm not defending Charter here, but I have never had that issue with their broadcasts.

• 5 months later...

I guess this is the most recent thread about cable/satellite stuff.. not sure if it's a blessing or a curse, but DISH network has dropped the regional Fox Sports networks (as well as FX) in a fee dispute. I went to watch the Brewers game Friday night and could not find it. Thought it was very odd, finally scrolled past the "regular" FSN (Minnesota) channel in the Guide and saw a message from DISH urging me to call Fox to tell them I want my channel back.

Naturally, Fox is running ads telling people to call DISH and demand what they paid for.

With the season now over I'm not sure this will get much steam until basketball season begins.

I was informed of Dish Network dropping FS on Saturday morning after I searched with my dad for awhile on Friday night looking for the Brewers games. I was upset when I found out they had been dropped. Needless to say Dish Network will be shut off on 10/12 and immediately after I shut it off Direct Tv should be hooked up. They have the MLB network and NBAtv is included as well! Not to mention I was paying $106 bucks for the top package, my locals and the superstations and with Direct Tv having basically the same channels but more sports and more movie channels I am getting it for $55 bucks the first year, 70 bucks the second year and the 3rd year it will be 94 bucks for life (which includes HD)! So no matter what I do I am saving money... hopefully the reception is good and it doesn't freeze.

Archived