Brewer Fanatic

2010-04-22 Brewers (Wolf) at Pirates (McCutchen), 11:35 CDT [Brewers win, 20-0]

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watched the Fielder HR highlight, and it seems that Brian will never grasp when a ball is crushed vs. when its a routine fly. He's seen more games than I have, and he just doesn't get it.
I'm at work so not watching the game, but in Brian's defense, I seem to recall that the press box in Pittsburgh is WAY up there (above the upper deck seats) so it may be harder for him to tell if it's crushed or just a lazy pop due to the abnormal height difference from where he usually would be sitting.

But, again, I'm not watching the game so I won't know until I get home tonight.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

"It is just amazing to see the stadium so empty. And quiet.

Too many Baseball teams?"

Pittsburgh is used to winners with the Penguins and Steelers.

Right now The Pirates are probably behind even the Pitt Panthers for sports entertainment dollars in that area.

If they start winning again, like in the 70s and early 90s, the fans will show up.

Althou I do still think MLB should have stopped at 28 teams.

They should have contracted a couple teams...why they went after the Twins as part of it I'll never know. They could have canned the Expos & a Florida team.

Pittsburgh finally did the right thing last year by dumping everyone for prospects, but it will be years before there is any payoff...if there is any. They really blew it by not hiring Jack Z when they had the chance. If they were at least competitive, they'd show up.

Not sure why everyone bashes Brian. When you listen to someone 162 times a year I guess you can get tired of them, but I find him to be one of the better ones out there. I like our guys in the booth...one solid straight man that calls a good game and one semi-irrational old school baseball homer (but he's our homer).

I do agree that no matter how Gomez is doing at the plate, he does always hustle on the bases and he goes nuts in the field
The base running is nice but it pales in comparison to his positive value on defense and his negative value at the plate. Baserunning in general comes in a distant third, in terms of value (based on average run value estimates, at least). Cooincidently, Dan Fox did a good job attempting to quantify baserunning and now works for the Pirates. Some of his work:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/circling-the-wagons-running-the-bases-part-i/

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/circle-the-wagons-running-the-bases-part-ii/

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/circle-the-wagons-running-the-bases-part-iii/

Now, if we are looking at the fanometer, speed on the basepaths is very exiting.

I was reading all these Pirates articles before theis series started, talking about their great start and hope for the future. Yeh, who cares that you are projected for maybe 72 wins and even with a 7-5 record, had been outscored by a billion runs. Nothing wrong with being optimistic but it was bordering on delusional.

Welcome to reality.

nice to hear Prince getting some solid contact today.

And with that, my gameday audio just conked out. What the hay?

edit: must just be Brewers, because I can still get Pirates (boring) audio

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I would not want to be the Cubs this weekend... Just sayin.

Hey come on now, they have what could be the best (most expensive) new guy in their bullpen. Man I hope he comes into a game all jacked up and then gets lit up by the hearts of our order. Please Please Please.

Is it like Green Pirate hat day for the Pirates today? All the fans are wearing green hats.

Answer my own question.

PITTSBURGH -- In celebration of Earth Day, the Pirates hosted various events and highlighted particular initiatives at PNC Park on Thursday.

Before the game, about 30 volunteers gathered on Pittsburgh's North Shore to pick up litter. More than two dozen local organizations provided fans with information on environmental programs and initiatives as they walked into the stadium. Fans in attendance on Thursday also received a "green" Pirates cap made out of recycled plastic bottles.

PNC Park will be run entirely on renewable energy on Thursday, and every dollar spent on electricity at the ballpark on Earth Day will be matched with a dollar spent on renewable energy resource development.

I was reading all these Pirates articles before theis series started, talking about their great start and hope for the future. Yeh, who cares that you are projected for maybe 72 wins and even with a 7-5 record, had been outscored by a billion runs. Nothing wrong with being optimistic but it was bordering on delusional.

Welcome to reality.

In fairness to Pirate fans, I remember my delusional days with the Brewers, thinking that they might be able to compete. Logically "This has gotta be the year. We're due." doesn't make any sense, but logic goes out the window after a decade plus of losing baseball.

Archived