Brewer Fanatic

First time To Milwaukee and Miller Park- Questions

Capitaltigers

Hello All... Great forum here!

My Wife and I will be traveling from Michigan by train to Milwaukee for a little weekend trip the Brewers Sunday night Baseball game against the Phillies. I really enjoy seeing new ballparks and anxious to see Miller Park as well. Question is... where is the place(s) to go prior to a game for a cold beer and festive atmosphere before a Brewers game? Any places we should know of? Also we're staying downtown at the Loft, or Aloft... Is it safe to walk at night to Miller Park for us?

Thanks!

The Aloft is way too far to walk to Miller Park. I'd guess it's about 4-5 miles and you'd have to go through some pretty shady neighborhoods.

If you are looking for a drink before the game, I'd suggest walking to some bars by your hotel. You are within 6 blocks of probably 20 bars, so you can pick whichever one you like the best, although I know some of them aren't open on Sunday nights. There are some bars on the same street (Old World 3rd St) as your hotel, and there are a ton more just on the other side of the river from your hotel (Water St.) Then to get to Miller Park I'd suggest a cab. It'll probably cost something like $15, I'd guess, but it's the easiest way to go. Since there are so many bars by your hotel, cabs tend to gather there and you shouldn't have much of a problem finding one.

One bar that's a little out of the way from all the others but still very much within walking distance from your hotel is called Major Goolsby's. It's a sports bar, got some pretty decent food, very reasonably priced. It's on the corner of 4th and Kilbourn. If you want one suggestion, that's where I'd go.

http://www.foodspot.com/C...default.aspx?accid=13509

Enjoy!

I hope you enjoy your stay (not to mention your train trip; we just got back from a train trip to DC that included the Brewers-Nats series).

Do you have tickets yet? The Sunday game with the Phillies is the Hank Aaron bobblehead giveaway date, so waiting until you get here to buy may be risky.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'm not much into the bar scene so someone else might have more insight in that area, but there are several places along Bluemound Road to the north of Miller park where you'd be able to get your beer and festive atmosphere. Most of those places offer a free shuttle to the stadium as well. Kelly's Bleachers is a popular place and its an easy walk to the stadium if you don't take their shuttle. One of my favorite restaurants only a few blocks south of where you're staying is Rock Bottom Brewery (corner of Plankinton Ave and Wells St right on the river). I would advise against walking to Miller Park from downtown. Besides being more than 4 miles away, you'd be walking through some rough neighborhoods. You're safe walking around downtown and the area near Miller Park day or night, but the area between I would avoid.

These are great tips, thanks so much all. We have tickets already, so we'll be all set. It should be a great time. Miller Park looks like a really neat ballpark from all I can see from tv and online. Any other places we should check out in Milwaukee while we're there for the weekend?

Lakefront Brewery tour. Best... Tour... Ever... You can't come to the city that beer built and not go on a brewery tour. And you can stumble (Longish walk) back to your hotel after Lakefront blows your mind with beer.

I'd take a shuttle to miller park from one of the bars. Perhaps Mos Irish Pub off of Wisconsin downtown. (But to do it right, you should tailgate.)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've never been but the Harley Davidson Museum looks really cool....can walk there from your hotel.

And get a butter burger from Sobleman's and custard from Leon's.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'd take a shuttle to miller park from one of the bars. Perhaps Mos Irish Pub off of Wisconsin downtown.

This would be my recommendation. Save the cab fare. Also, Walker's point taverns The Dubliner, Steny's, and Fat Daddy's have good food and drink (plenty of good drafts), and also have shuttles (2nd and National).

yeah, I was going to suggest getting the ballpark and "crashing" some tailgate parties. When I say "crash" them, I mean walk through the parking lot, be sociable (but not an annoying know-it-all road fan) and kind, and introduce yourself as an out-of-towner to groups that look like they have similar interests (i.e. music, games, etc.) as you. Most groups will let you join them and offer you a beer/brat/burger/whatever. Plus, you can get some good conversation going, play some bean bag toss, and get many more post-game/Milwaukee area ideas of things to do.

The other posts are all good ideas, too.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

sgtcluels[/b]]Perhaps Mos Irish Pub off of Wisconsin downtown.

Mo's is a great bar, and if you're looking for a very good steak, I'd go across the street to their steakhouse, the bar and restaurant are off of Wisconsin and Plankinton, about a five minute walk from the hotel. There are also a lot of bars on Water St, a nice bar is Trinity, which houses three bars inside the one location, nice and if the weather is nice they'll have the outdoor patio open. If you want German food, across the street is Mader's, and if you're looking for a good pizza, besides a slice (Brick 3), is the Calderone Club, great place, and the bartender Larry who usually works weekend nights, is a great guy, very funny and he'll make you feel at home. Also, if you want a good non-smoking restaurant, Molly Cool's is also good, it is in the same building as Lucille's.

You can also take the Milwaukee City bus to Miller Park, you can get more details here, but it is a shuttle that will drop you off 100 yards from the front door of Miller Park, well worth the $2.25. There are a lot of bars around Miller Park as well, but your best move is probably to hang out at the bars downtown, then catch the shuttle to MP. Also, if you want to people watch and run into players, hang out around Milwaukee & Mason Street, around the Pfister (also worth noting that a trip to the bar Blue on the top floor is very cool, there is a good Cuban restaurant there and a bunch of clubs if you're so inclined. Also you can sit at the outside tables at the Metro Hotel (good food and drinks), and people watch. Also, near Cathedral Square, which is on Jefferson and Wells, there are a number of great places to go, and if you want a great site to people watch, go to Elsa's on the Park, great food (burgers are unreal), and a cool crowd. You can also check out Braun's restaurant, there is another thread on that in the forum. Also, I'd check out the Public Market, if you like seafood, the St. Paul Fish Company is fantastic, oysters on the half shell and $1 taps of Schlitz beer on Saturdays.

You'll really enjoy Milwaukee so have a great time.

Rickey

For a cheap traditional Milwaukee lunch (or dinner), I would suggest Real Chili on Wells (there is one downtown and one near Marquette). They have been featured a couple of times on The Food Network (and Jerry Seinfeld eats there when he comes to town for a show). Here is a review:

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=301

I eat there once a week for lunch.

Edit: Also, if you can make it to Gillies Custard on 75th and Bluemound around lunch time, you might run into Bud Selig. Although, I think he only eats there on weekdays.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Edit: Also, if you can make it to Gillies Custard on 75th and Bluemound around lunch time, you might run into Bud Selig. Although, I think he only eats there on weekdays.
After years of going for postgame celebratory (or consoling) custard, we

finally went on a weekday a few offseasons ago and saw Bud with his hot

dog and hot fudge sundae, headed for his black Lexus. So it's not just a myth.

I'd second Gilles for the custard even if Bud isn't in the vicinity. Mmmm....fancy sundaes.

Capitaltigers, if you feel willing to share your seat location (just the section; we won't stalk you), we could assure you of how great the seats are. In nine-plus seasons, I've had a bunch of different vantage points and really can't say I've ever had a bad seat. My preference is for a home-plate orientation, but I've enjoyed seats in the corners and the bleachers as well.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Ok, you guys are awesome. ALMOST as quality as Tigers fans... just playing. This is excellent advice- I'm tempted just print this whole page and take it with us! The shuttle is an excellent idea along with the brewing tour. I think we'll definitely have to do that. Love the idea of the tailgating prior to the game. Bean bag toss and a cold beer... can't beat it. Really looking forward to Milwaukee. Something about stepping foot into a new baseball stadium for the first time is like magic. Love that feeling; although maybe it's the pregame beer.

Ok, you guys are awesome. ALMOST as quality as Tigers fans... just playing.

I have nothing but love for Tigers fans. I've been to many MLB stadiums as an opposing fan, and you guys by far treated me and mine the best. Sure, there was good natured ribbing, but nothing truly venomous spewed(of course, it was during the Verlander No hitter, so they were all in good moods). I hope ya have a great time and enjoy our city. Also, try to find the safehouse(it's a bar/restaurant), it's in downtown on front street(which is more of a side alley) and it's worth a visit and lots of fun.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

It cannot be stressed enough, if the weather is nice, there's no better place to be before the ballgame than in the lots.

The bars probably won't shuttle you early enough to indulge, but the #90 bus service runs right to the stadium starting 2 hours beforehand (or just up the road on Wisconsin Avenue, the number 10 runs right from downtown

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I suggest going to the Harley museum's restaurant "Motor".. Mid priced food (steaks, burgers, etc) great bar, and weather permitting, they have a wonderful riverside patio. I agree that you should buy in advance, it being a bobble head day..

Or take a cab to Kelly's Bleachers, Long Wongs, or any other establishment along Bluemound rd..All have free gameday shuttles, although it is more of a "tavern" type atmosphere on these..

I would second the art museum suggestion. If you don't buy a ticket, at least stop by and take in the beautiful architecture. I think they open and close the "wings" at noon. I would also suggest taking a stroll along the Riverwalk. Head from your hotel west to the river and take the Riverwalk south to the 3rd Ward area. The 3rd Ward is the old warehouse district with great 18th and early 19th century buildings recently redone into condos, shops and restaurants.

Milwaukee is a hidden gem and it's hard to go wrong with any of the suggestions so far. I hope you have a great time and please let us know your honest opinion of the trip when you get back. Enjoy!

Safe House is good, just prepare to be a little goofy. No, we won't give you the password. The Milwaukee Brat House is a short walk down 3rd from your hotel, good food. If you cook the Spice House is on the same block. Oh, and if you want to go Uber Mileaukee, Maders is down the street, right after you tour Usingers.

Good luck, and thanks for coming to Milwaukee.

I've read a lot about the Safe House. That sounds like quite the place. We may have to try that out. The password I'm sure can be found online, but it sounds more fun to receive it while in Milwaukee.

Also, I'm glad to hear Tigers fans treated you well while you were at the game (for the person who mentioned it). Detroit definitely has its bad publicity for the city itself. Truth of the matter is, the press doesn't cover how the fans of Detroit sports keep the city alive. Before a Tigers game it is absolutely electric in Detroit and people are really quality overall. Sure, Detroit has it's bad spots, but as someone that's been spending 30 years going to Tigers games I've never had a bad experience at a ballgame there.

We are really anxious to go to Milwaukee in a few weeks. I've read a lot of great things about it. Thanks again... I'll keep this thread active with any questions I may have.

Archived