Brewer Fanatic

Zambrano moving to the bullpen [Latest: Meltdown 6/25, suspended indefinitely by Cubs]

sheethead

This isn't even the biggest teammate-related meltdown Zambrano has had, but I think it's more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation. It came out before the game that Zambrano and his family were going out to eat with Ozzie Guillen after the game, and there were quite a few media personalities already ripping him for that before Zambrano had his meltdown. If Ozzie's Twitter is any indication, the two still had dinner after the meltdown. I'm sure Cubs writers will love that.

If the Cubs really wanted to get rid of him, I think the White Sox would be one of the few teams he'd waive his NTC for. He wouldn't have to move and he'd be playing for one of his best friends in the league. I don't think even Kenny Williams is that stupid to take him, though.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They aren't going to go to a $200M payroll, which means their options in Free Agency the next few years are going to be extremely limited. Over half of that $145 is tied up in Soriano, Zambrano, Fukudome, Lee, and Silva. $145M is one thing...what you get out of it is something entirely different.
Lee is a FA after this season, as is Lily, so that's a full 26M off the books for them heading into 2011. Obviously some guys will be getting Arby raises (Marmol, Theriot, Fontenot), but they have plenty of space to sign a big FA if they so choose.

Cubs Payroll going forward

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

He... continues to bring back an aging, non-performing core of players, and has little behind them in the minor leagues.

The Cubs actually have a decent farm system. Starlin Castro is one of the top prospects in the game (regarded as better than Escobar by many). He was 16th in Baseball America's pre-2010 top 100 list, and the Cubs had 4 other players make the cut (though no one else higher than #70). For comparison's sake, 3 Brewers made the cut -- Escobar (12), Lawrie (59), and Gamel (89). The Crew's system is regarded as middle-of-the-pack at this point. Not great, but very solid.

I agree with your take on Hendry in terms of his MLB roster construction, though. I don't think he's anything special.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Backupcatchers hit it on the head. The previous owners wanted to build a World Series champion to maximize their selling price. Zambrano openly complained and was going to leave after arby if he didn't get a big contract, and Ramirez had an opt out clause that he tendered right when the Cubs needed him for their run. I kind of equate the Soriano contract to the Ryan Howard contract. Both teams know/knew they had a WS contender, and are/were willing to sign them to a long-term contract in order to have them for the WS run, even though they know/knew the player wouldn't be worth their pay for the final years of the deal. It's not often you have a Championship-caliber team, so both teams were willing to overpay some in hopes of a Championship.

A few years ago, when the Cubs were supposed to be the dominant team in the Central, many posters here were discussing how bad some of these players and contracts would be in a few years. I'll just laugh if some of their top prospects are stuck in the minors or traded because there's an albatross contract on the MLB team blocking them. I would put a note of caution on their minor leaguers, however, as they have a history of being over-hyped (Bobby Hill, Felix Pie, Corey Patterson, Hee-Sop Choi to name a few). One thing Cubs GM's have been good at is trading these over-hyped prospects for real MLB talent.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I heard about this from Provus the day it happened, and I just stopped what I was doing and just busted out laughing. A small part of me is hoping the Cubs let big Z pitch again only for him to blow up again.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

On the radio this morning Steve Stone suggested they try Big Z out at first base. His reasoning: I've seen Zambrano field bunts and he does it well.

I'm exaggerating a little bit. Stevie did say that Z is a great athlete and I think he is too, but he doesn't seem all that flexible to me and I doubt he has any range at all. Not to mention he probably can't scoop worth a darn.

Anyway, the best part of the interview was listening to Steve bristle as people called in and told him he was nuts. How dare they question his baseball genius!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

While Zambrano has always been a head case, he's now a head case with a fastball that is 4-5 miles per hour slower. He used to throw 94-95. Now he throws 89-90. If he comes to grips with this, he probably can be a back of the rotation type. But he sure hasn't yet.

Someone on Chicago radio suggested the one guy they might be able to trade him for is Carlos Lee but that wouldn't happen because they already have Soriano in LF. Personally, if I'm the Cubs, I make that deal. Carlos Lee could replace soon to be FA Derrek Lee at 1B.

Zambrano hasn't changed. If was allowed to start 30 games he'd end up being worth about 3 wins like the last few years while having huge personality issues.. But the Cubs need another scape goat to pin the blame of another failed season on.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
but he doesn't seem all that flexible to me and I doubt he has any range at all. Not to mention he probably can't scoop worth a darn.

So he's Prince?

Minus the ability to hit 40 home runs.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

but he doesn't seem all that flexible to me and I doubt he has any range at all. Not to mention he probably can't scoop worth a darn.

So he's Prince?

Minus the ability to hit 40 home runs.

He has hit 20 homers in 583 career AB's, so with regular batting schedule, he might develop 30 homer power for a couple seasons.

He's pretty much exactly the pitcher he was 2 years ago. The difference is all in BABIP.

He may actually be pitching better than in 2007.

Given that he's pitched in relief its hard to break it all out over so few innings.

Archived