Brewer Fanatic

Zambrano moving to the bullpen [Latest: Meltdown 6/25, suspended indefinitely by Cubs]

sheethead

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Cot's

http://mlbcontracts.blogs..._112114177768677294.html

Carlos Zambrano rhp

5 years/$91.5M (2008-12), plus 2013 vesting option, signed extension with Cubs 8/17/07

$5M signing bonus

08:$15M, 09:$17.75M, 10:$17.875M, 11:$17.875M, 12:$18M, 13:$19.25M vesting player option

full no-trade clause

award bonus: $75,000 for All Star selection

Zambrano receives 2013 player option if he is first or second in 2011 Cy Young vote or if he finishes in top 4 in 2012 Cy Young vote and is healthy at end of 2012

Is it temporary?

"Temporary?" Zambrano said. "He told me that probably Randy (Bush) or Jim Hendry was looking for an eighth inning guy. And when they find a guy and trade (for a) guy and get that guy here, I will be back to the rotation. Right now they need somebody to step up in the eighth inning. I don't like to be a reliever. I don't want to be a reliever, but this team needs somebody to step up and help the bullpen."

Piniella had a slightly different spin on the conversation.

"Temporary?" Piniella said. "We're trying to stabliize things and win some baseball games. This will give Jim (Hendry) and the front office more opportunities to hopefully do something (via a trade). If not, this could be not temporary."

Full Story

I have to give Zambrano credit for saying all the right things in that article, which is outside of the typical view of Zambrano.

Seems like there is a big disconnect between Zambrano and Piniella, especially after seeing Lou fretting over Big Z during their game against the Brewers last week. I could see this ending quite badly for the Cubs. Maybe Zambrano will get fed up and demand to be traded.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Seems like there is a big disconnect between Zambrano and Piniella, especially after seeing Lou fretting over Big Z during their game against the Brewers last week. I could see this ending quite badly for the Cubs. Maybe Zambrano will get fed up and demand to be traded.

There is speculation on NSBB that they're doing this to to give Zambrano reason to waive his no trade clause, though I think that's a rather overboard idea for this point in the season.

wow. would they dare trade him in the division? I'd despise Zambrano much less in a Brewers uniform. There's little evidence, other than a poor few games, to suggest that he'll be anything less than a top of the rotation starter this year.

As bad as Zambrano has been, this is completely asinine. He's still a legitimate #3 starter. They're kidding themselves if they think some combination of Silva and Gorzelanny will be as good as him.

Dempster

Wells

Lilly

Silva

Gorzelanny

I wonder if Zambrano's hurt/hurting. He left a recent start (can't remember which one, sorry) with 'forearm cramps'. He kept stretching his pitching-hand fingers out against his forearm, which made me wonder about ligaments.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I know this is a little off topic, but since i went to Cot's, i looked at my favorite part of the site... the Future Payroll Obligations. The cubs are going to have an interesting offseason coming up.

http://spreadsheets.googl...aSrv4wMWdUYg&output=html

How come Aramis is only on for 2.000 in 2012? I don't understand if that means he due 2 mil or something else.

Archived