Brewer Fanatic

Moving companies

burniebrewer

I'm going to be moving later this summer and am considering hiring someone to handle the moving. Anybody have any good/bad experiences they'd like to share? Good companies and bad? Ballpark pricing?

I will be leaving Madison and moving to the Milwaukee area if that helps.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

My sister and her now-husband both used to work for Reynolds Transfer in Madison (before they met). If I had to hire movers, I'd check with them first; but I admit to having no direct experience with the company.

What you really need is access to firefighters. The same brother-in-law who worked for Reynolds is also a volunteer firefighter. Between the moving brains of him and my sister and the brawn they organized among their firefighter friends, our most recent house move was a snap - and all it cost us was the lunch special at this Middleton bar the guys like. It was awesome.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

See, I think I've got enough manpower and all it would cost me is a one-night bar tab, but I just don't want to deal with the trucking side of things.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

If trucking is what you're worried about, and you're moving at the end of a month, avoid UHaul at all costs.

They will let you 'reserve' a truck, but won't guarantee ones availability for you on any given day. Their "late fees" are pretty much a joke and lead to people leaving trucks and/or bringing them back late... leaving you waiting and without a truck to move your stuff.

I'd suggest looking into Budget or Penske

My experience may be a bad one, but I had a lease that was up, was moving the weekend before it was up, had 5 friends ready to help on Saturday... but UHaul didn't have a truck for me, despite me reserving one 3 months in advance, until Tuesday.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived