Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy/Salome thread

battlekow
Changing positions isn't remotely the same thing as quitting. A comment like that seems gratuitous when none of us know the factors that led to him not wanting to catch anymore....

... Obviously his emotional well being is a distant 2nd to his playing future, but this obviously hurts his playing future a TON.

HiAndTight, did you mean his playing futuer is a distant 2nd to his emotional well being or did you reall mean you think his playing baseball future is way more important than his mental well being? If so that seems pretty harsh and a mixed up view of priorities.

OBVIOUSLY I mis-wrote it.
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brewers reluctantly sent Salome to Class A Brevard County to play
in the outfield. But how many 5-foot-7 outfielders do you see in the
majors?

"When he was in
Phoenix, he never gave us any indication of this," said Brewers
assistant general manager Gord Ash. "But if he doesn't want to
catch, we can't make him."

from Handricourt's article today, here's the link: From JS Online today

NOT FROM THE ARTICLE, MY OPINION: Sounds like this was far from a mutual decision; which I had assumed for some reason. In general, I'm having trouble linking the position a person plays to their emotional well being. I could see needing to step away from baseball all together; but if he thinks there is less stress in the outfield, he's never been out there to be heckled by opposing (or your own) fans. If he thinks it takes less focus, he's wrong. If anything, it takes more discipline to remain focused on every pitch. At any position there is always the stress of hitting slumps. This is one of those cases where the grass may seem greener; but whatever issues he has to deal with him will need to be dealt with regardless of position, and this decision reduced his value and had to have ticked off the parent club. My guess is that we will never see Salome playing for the Brewers at the major league level.

from Handricourt's article today, here's the link: From JS Online today

Sounds like this was far from a mutual decision; which I had assumed for some reason. In general, I'm having trouble linking the position a person plays to their emotional well being. I could see needing to step away from baseball all together; but if he thinks there is less stress in the outfield, he's never been out there to be heckled by opposing (or your own) fans. If he thinks it takes less focus, he's wrong. If anything, it takes more discipline to remain focused on every pitch. At any position there is always the stress of hitting slumps. This is one of those cases where the grass may seem greener; but whatever issues he has to deal with him will need to be dealt with regardless of position, and this decision reduced his value and had to have ticked off the parent club. My guess is that we will never see Salome playing for the Brewers at the major league level.

I guess Haudricourt played outfield growing up, and not well. I read this earlier and thought that this was a stupid statement to make. Yes, every position is stressful. Angel is clearly having issues, and I think he's wanting to try a different position to see if it makes any difference. I don't fault him for it one bit. If this makes the difference, then that's fantastic. But Tom's guess of Angel never playing for the Brewers is just stupid and uncalled for.

yes, sorry. That was me saying something stupid and uncalled for http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I'll edit to make it more clear. You make a good point though, and one I'd forgotten having dealt with anxiety myself: you never know what will make the difference and break that cycle. Whatever it takes is whatever it takes.

Hard to write in glowing terms about a prospect drafted six years ago who has had several injury and personal issues. I don't think the move to the outfield is the end of the line for Salome, but he is looking closer to a bust than a sure thing at this point.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

In the corner OF Ange is just a guy, he'll still have a plus arm, but I don't know that he'll have plus anything else. I always saw him topping out around 20 HRs and while that's great for a C, that's not so elite for a RF. I guess he can still hit for plus average where ever he plays, but I find this move very disappointing.

This is clearly Clancy's fault, he's been trying to get players to switch positions for years and someone finally listened... boo.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Maybe it's time to move him to another organziation for a player in a similar situation. I just don't see Angel manning an OF corner for us in the future. He goes from being a better than average catching prospect to a pretty average outfield prospect at best. It remains to be seen how his defense will develop in the outfield. Might be best for everyone to give him a fresh start elsewhere.

The Brewers reluctantly sent Salome to Class A Brevard County to play in the outfield. But how many 5-foot-7 outfielders do you see in the majors?

The Brewers organization apparently believes this not to be an issue with Gindl and Kentrail Davis being all of 5'8".

The Brewers reluctantly sent Salome to Class A Brevard County to play in the outfield. But how many 5-foot-7 outfielders do you see in the majors?

The Brewers organization apparently believes this not to be an issue with Gindl and Kentrail Davis being all of 5'8".

I'm sure they do see it as an issue with Gindl. And as for Davis, he's a unique build. Explosive and athletic.

He doesn't grade out at 20 for his speed....

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Oh Angel, Nashville catchers don't have a hit in eight games.

My, oh, my, not 100% Salome's fault but honestly, he couldn't have written a worse script for himself or the organization given his own future and value (trade or otherwise) to the organization.

Melvin said in an article about Huntsville that Angel would still catch some because Angel knows that controls his future. Interesting comments. I think everyone agrees his value is at catcher and I am glad the organization is telling him he will still play there some.

If if anyone gets Sports Illustrated, the newest one with the title At Last! Blackhawks has a real interesting article (A light in the darkness) about baseball players and depression, social anxiety, and all those other issues. It talks about Ian Snell, Joey Votto, Milton Bradley, Dontrelle Willis, and a bunch more and it really made me think about Angel and even the issues Braddock was going through. Its a real nice read and hope what ever Angel was battling it gets better and he will feel comfortable again at catcher. Its good to hear DM say that they are still going to have him catch and not abandon it for good.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, just a huge turnaround from where Salome was just a year ago. Top prospect expected to contribute at the MLB level with a couple years tops to pretty much just another MiLB corner outfielder.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

What choice did the Brewers really have? This isn't cold at all. It's a business and Angel is not producing or progressing at all right now. He should be absolutely raking it in BC and he's not even doing that. Hopefully he can get his life straightened out as there is more to life than baseball but I wouldn't be surprised if he's released in the next month if he doesn't start to produce. He's got a lot more going against him right now than going for him to say the least.

I would hope the Brewers wouldn't release him, that would absolutely be cold. I believe uwisfan's response was to Jason's comment, not the Brewers outrighting Angel off the 40-man.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This chain of events with Angel has been my single biggest disappointment in the entire organization since Little Ben couldn't get anyone out in Milwaukee. I'm sure many understand how big I am on pitching and can image how personally I took his failure, I feel pretty much the same way for Angel. At C he had the potential to be special, in the corner OF, he's a guy who's been mostly a DH.

I'm not making lite of his mental health, the situation is what at is, and this has nothing to do with how coach32sm pimped Angel, I've just been on his bandwagon since draft day. By all accounts Angel has been an excellent teammate (repeated stories in print about his good nature and how far he's gone to help his latin teammates), he's given back to his HS program at GW, he's just a very good young man, he's the kind of player and person I root very hard for.

Milwaukee will be fine with Lucroy, i have no doubt that Lucroy will be a good MLB catcher, but I'll always wonder what could have been for Angel and I'm still holding out hope that he returns to catching. Zach Grienke's career once looked pretty bleak as well.. and believe me I understand you don't experience the highs if not for the lows, but for whatever reason I've been extremely deflated by this news.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Maybe he'll end up getting claimed by another team eventually? Perhaps just a change of scenery and a fresh start would do him good for his career, and his own personal sake. Just doesn't seem like a guy who really has a future in the Brewers organization at this point.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Maybe he'll end up getting claimed by another team eventually?
What do you mean? He already cleared waivers, so he can't be claimed anymore. The next chance for a team to grab him is in next years rule 5 draft, but I don't see a team carrying him on the big league roster. If he wants a future he'll have to produce here.

I'm not too upset by the whole thing, as I've stated repeatedly that I never considered him much of a prospect. I wish he could have been included in the CC trade instead of Brantley, but Cleveland was loaded at catcher.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'm not too upset by the whole thing, as I've stated repeatedly that I never considered him much of a prospect. I wish he could have been included in the CC trade instead of Brantley, but Cleveland was loaded at catcher.

So what players in the minors would you keep now? What ones would you trade?

So what players in the minors would you keep now? What ones would you trade?

Interesting question. I don't see any major flaws in our highly ranked guys we have right now. The only highly ranked prospect I don't really believe in Kentrail Davis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived