Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy/Salome thread

battlekow
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have and will continue to root for Angel as I think he has the potential to be a truly special player while I see LuCroy as more of a solid MLB guy. As a Brewer fan, we would be fools not to want them both to succeed.

In terms of anxiety, I won't pretend to know what Angel is going through, but I have a family member who was misdiagnosed with ADD then finally with an anxiety disorder. The medicine and the side effects made everything an uphill battle for him. Things like getting out of bed, eating meals, and working out (things an MLB player has to do very well to succeed) are very difficult. I can't even imagine trying to call a game or be out on the diamond in general.

Again, not saying this is what is going on with Angel, but rather that I understand that most people simply can't understand what is going on inside the head of someone with a chemical imbalance. I wish him the best as a person and as a prospect. I will be rooting for his success in both aspects.

I agree on both counts.

First of all, the important issue, Angel's health and well being, especially now that he has a child. Anxiety issues can be a pretty scary situation. I too had a close family member who suffered from severe anxiety issues after a immediate family member died. It was.....terrifying. I know they come in many different forms, but my point is that we're not talking about a kid who gets nervous playing baseball or who is worried that the organization "likes" Lucroy better. I think the word "Anxiety" is a poor word for the actual issue because everyone has anxiety issues, and it doesn't accurately articulate the seriousness of the disorder, and it almost sounds as something that you should just suck it up and try and play through when it's anything but the case.

I cannot believe that the pressure that goes along with being a professional baseball player and such a highly touted one hasn't added to those issues as well. In any event, this is a serious issue and it's great news that it's something that's finally being addressed appropriately, and it couldn't come at a better time, not for the organization or baseball related reasons, but because he's now a Father and his metal health is of paramount concern.

Now, on to the less important issue here, baseball;

I've long said this, but I think Lucroy is almost certain to be a good solid league average or close to it(little above, little below) catcher.

Angel Salome has a greater bust potential(I don't mean that as an insult coach, please don't take it that way), but he's also got the potential to be a truly special player. The one thing that concerns me on that end is that I think Salome because of his unorthodox swing needs regular AB's in order to succeed. I just hope he's given that chance with the Brewers at some point.

Two very different situations, but I actually am worried that both Mat Gamel and Angel Salome will never be given a real legit chance to perform in Milwaukee and for the next dozen years we're going to be watching them thrive elsewhere. The fact that George Kottaras has been so impressive(at least he has been to me) as of late, coupled with Lucroy worry me all that much more that Salome may not be given a true chance here.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't worry about Angel's unorthodox swing. We could have changed it in high school and each year talk about it in the off season, he has such great plate coverage even with his sort stature, and phenomenal hand/eye. His hitting has never nor will ever be a problem, and by the way he has not caught yet but hit 2 home runs yesterday, he hits in his sleep (but dont ever ask him how he does it!!) I think a position change to outfield would really help as well, he could probably do it too, he'd get his speed back and has a cannon and wouldnt have to be involved in every pitch every minute, he could eat sunflower seeds and lok around in the crowd once in awhile, just a thought!!!

"Coach"

Actually, I never mentioned it, it was others who did, I always said he could play another position though, but maybe it is a good idea. He probably would relax more and worry more about pounding the ball and not running a pitching staff, just an idea. Don't know what the brass would think about it. I guarantee he'd be pretty damn good at it, he's a worker. I think he was born to catch but fate is a funny thing isn't it? I played outfield my whole life but my career took a turn because of my strong arm and ended as a pitcher. It happens. And fortunately he mashes so it opens more possibilities.

Going for my 900th win today, single elimination, tough team 91 arm against us whom Ive coached and my best friend on the other bench whom I coach with in the Fall and beginning of each summer before I leave for USA or All American Team baseball. Should be interesting and I dont want to wait til March to win that one game!!!!

"Coach"

Good luck coach and thanks for the insights!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Going for my 900th win today, single elimination, tough team 91 arm against us whom Ive coached and my best friend on the other bench whom I coach with in the Fall and beginning of each summer before I leave for USA or All American Team baseball. Should be interesting and I dont want to wait til March to win that one game!!!!

Wow, good luck Coach Steve! Only 900?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah only 900. My boys did it we actually pitched a no-hitter and won 1-0, scored in the first. 900 more to go.
We go to the quarterfinals on Tuesday, another 90+ arm. We actually saw 93 today
Also Angel goes to Huntsville tomorrow, good luck Angel, get all the way back!!!!
"Coach"

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Adam McCalvy:

Assistant general manager Gord Ash explained catcher Angel Salome's move from Double-A Huntsville down to Class A Brevard County as a matter of at-bats. There is no designated hitter at Double-A in games between two National League teams; in the Florida State League teams can use the DH in all games, and Salome will apparently serve in that role at least part of the time. Ash said the team would re-evaluate Salome, who is coming off a layoff, during which he received counseling for some personal issues, in a few weeks. Melvin originally said last week that he was sent to Huntsville to work with manager Mike Guerrero, with whom Salome is close.

Adam McCalvy:

Assistant general manager Gord Ash explained catcher Angel Salome's move from Double-A Huntsville down to Class A Brevard County as a matter of at-bats. There is no designated hitter at Double-A in games between two National League teams; in the Florida State League teams can use the DH in all games, and Salome will apparently serve in that role at least part of the time. Ash said the team would re-evaluate Salome, who is coming off a layoff, during which he received counseling for some personal issues, in a few weeks. Melvin originally said last week that he was sent to Huntsville to work with manager Mike Guerrero, with whom Salome is close.

Oh yeah, that makes tons of sense. Clearly they just forgot about the DH issue when they assigned him to Huntsville.

Changing positions isn't remotely the same thing as quitting. A comment like that seems gratuitous when none of us know the factors that led to him not wanting to catch anymore. Perhaps the Brewers didn't like how he handled a staff and told he'd need a few more years in the minors to work on that. Maybe catching wore him down too much. Maybe he got Mackey Sasser Syndrome or his knees have been aching or he has a serious anxiety problem. There could be any number of reasons why he would ask to move. In fact, there was always talk about him possibly moving to a new position because he usually had a fairly large amount of errors for a catcher. Maybe he just wanted to expedite that process.

Well this really stinks, that's all I have to say.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I wish Angel the best, although I am afraid that his value just dropped a lot. If it were 3b, it might have been desirable, but now we're adding him to a crowded OF picture. I wish him the best, but I also hope that this move is just for the time being. He could become a stud at catcher and have a rare ability to impact a game from behind the dish.

Changing positions isn't remotely the same thing as quitting. A comment like that seems gratuitous when none of us know the factors that led to him not wanting to catch anymore. Perhaps the Brewers didn't like how he handled a staff and told he'd need a few more years in the minors to work on that. Maybe catching wore him down too much. Maybe he got Mackey Sasser Syndrome or his knees have been aching or he has a serious anxiety problem. There could be any number of reasons why he would ask to move. In fact, there was always talk about him possibly moving to a new position because he usually had a fairly large amount of errors for a catcher. Maybe he just wanted to expedite that process.
Yeah, we know he's had a lot of injuries to deal with, and catching isn't exactly easy on the body. Or maybe he's Rube Baker. Either way, he's shown that he can hit, so if we can do something to help get his bat to the majors sooner, that's probably a good thing.

I don't think this will make a big difference in his value to the Brewers, although it might decrease his value as a trade chip. At catcher, he is 3rd on the depth chart and it doesn't look like he'll be a #1 in this organization unless something happens both of Lucroy and/or Kottaras.

And although I've never looked into it, I'd bet it's a lot easier to swing a baseball bat when you don't have to worry about catching, especially for someone like Salome, who has really struggled with injuries.

With Hart gone after next season and Gomez an unknown, it's pretty likely that as long as he can continue to improve at the plate he can make a positive contribution to the big club. From everything I've heard about him, he's someone to cheer for.

Coach, thanks for stopping by and giving us your two cents. Congratulations on #900!

I don't agree with the comment, and I feel for Angel, but this without question takes a enormous bite out of his MLB future.

He went from a guy who I think could have been an exceptional catcher(or a bust, he was a boom for bust type player in my mind) to a guy who I don't think will ever make it and I don't think will ever be a starter if he does.

Obviously his emotional well being is a distant 2nd to his playing future, but this obviously hurts his playing future a TON.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

As X put it for Brent Brewer...

Well, I guess if you never quit when the going got tough, you'd have nothing to regret the rest of your life.

It's not as if he's quitting baseball. And in the case of Brewer, it's not like he was in 2-week hitting slump. He was bad for the majority of 4 seasons. Maybe football was the right route after all. It's extremely shortsighted to call Angel a quitter when maybe he's doing what the organization should have done a long time ago. Also, the entire developmental side of the Brewer's organization needs to be looked at very closely. How many guys continue to be absolute butchers in the field? How many guys are playing out of position but continue to played there? How many pitchers are actually getting better? How many of the guys on the big league club act like they've never been taught the basic fundamentals of the game? As much as this is a change for Angel, it's also an indictment of the entire system.

Edit: I keep thinking about my playing career and can't imagine the idea of requesting to change positions. That takes an unbelievable amount of guts, but you have to be absolutely broken down to do that. If he was the one to suggest it, then he must have been hung up on the difficulties of catching for quite some time. I wish him all the best of luck and will root for him harder more than ever.

2nd Edit: I don't know if it's better or worse that we, the fans, know that it was Angel's decision to switch positions. In all honesty, I think I'd much rather hear that Gord spearheaded the move and discussed it with Angel.

That is one if the thing that has bothered me about this situation, and Lawrie's, the organization hasn't even protected the player with a "we" statement. The organization was clear in both cases that is was the players decision.

Changing positions isn't remotely the same thing as quitting. A comment like that seems gratuitous when none of us know the factors that led to him not wanting to catch anymore....

... Obviously his emotional well being is a distant 2nd to his playing future, but this obviously hurts his playing future a TON.

HiAndTight, did you mean his playing futuer is a distant 2nd to his emotional well being or did you reall mean you think his playing baseball future is way more important than his mental well being? If so that seems pretty harsh and a mixed up view of priorities.

Archived