Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy/Salome thread

battlekow
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, I'm a bigger Salome fan than a Lucroy fan and mentioned that earlier in the thread. Lucroy is hitting very well for average this year (and OPS at least in this small sample of a season) but I think he's going to cool off in AAA here pretty soon... I'm very intrigued with Salome's power hitting potential, I think overall the minor league stats point to Salome being at least as good of a hitter with more home run potential

Lucroy, in AA ball last year he had 32 doubles, 9 HR's, .267 BA, .380 OBP, .798 OPS

Salome in AA ball in 2008, he had 30 doubles, 13 HR's, .360 BA, .415 OBP, .973 OPS

a world of difference? Maybe not, but a pretty big difference

last year in AAA in his "down year" Salome's power stats were down but still had a .286 BA, & .334 OBP

I like that Lucroy can get on base. .383 career minor league OBP is good to see (Salome's career minor league OBP is .365), they both have a career OPS right now of @ .848

That said I'm very glad that both are in the Brewers system and I wish them both great health. It'll be interesting to see, if Lucroy keeps raking in AAA, what the Brewers do in a month or so...

I may be wrong about this, but it seems like it's been just within the last couple of years that baseball teams have been taking mental ailments as seriously as physical ailments. This is very positive. A chemical imbalance in the brain, just like a broken leg or a torn ligament, requires professional help and time off to be able to heal properly. I applaud the Brewers for allowing Angel that time. Here's hoping he comes back and performs better than he ever has.

Thanks to all i will pass on all your thoughts to him. He is actually leaving on tuesday, he gets to spend a few days with HIS little angel.
"Coach"

Like MH mentioned, thanks for the follow-up post. Definitely tell Angel everyone's rooting for him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wow...I'm surprised by this...I really have cheered for him and will continue to cheer for Salome. He has been one of my favorite minor league players. I truly wish him the best.

TLB...you have a bunch of great posts in this thread. I echo many of your statements.

coach,

You don't have to dive into the details at all...but is Salome feeling pressure to succeed and that is getting to him? Again, I know it is a personal matter so no comment is necessary or expected. Again, pass on all the positive vibes to him. When I've seen him in Huntsville and Nashville, he was always a class act.

If Lucroy gets moved up when Salome comes back, which he should as he has little left to prove in the minors, does this put more or less pressure on Angel? For years now it seems as though he has been fighting off Lucroy for that top catching prospect spot. If Lucroy moves past him, does he have more pressure now because he feels like he has major catching up to do? Or does he have less pressure now because now the onus is on Lucroy to prove he is the better catcher? I wish Angel the best, and I will definitely be rooting for him once he gets back.

If Lucroy gets moved up when Salome comes back, which he should as he has little left to prove in the minors, does this put more or less pressure on Angel?
I think it would be good for both parties. Right now, the Brewers are looking for a catcher in the short term. If LuCroy is promoted, and can hit Major League pitching, then there's not pressure to rush Angel. Salome gets the everyday job back in AAA, and has the chance to prove he can catch in the majors, whether it's for Milwaukee or someone else. If he keeps hitting, there will be teams trying to get a hold of him and give him a chance to hit in the majors.

Guys
"Anxiety" is not caused by one thing or one person, it is like depression and any other illness, it develops over time. angel does not worry about losing his job or anybody up his back, he gives all he can and worries about himself. If you knew him you would see he is a class act and a religious kid, he just wants to succeed and works hard. He didn't worry about Palmissano nor Lucroy. He likes Lucroy and has told me nice things about him. His problem is something that has taken time to develop and who know the root? He needs to get his correct meds and be able to play while on them. The ADD medication made it worse not better, it had an adverse effect and made him not concentrate, he even lost his release point at one time. He'll be fine and truly wants to be a Brewer and is thankful for the support and wants to repay the fans and organization with a great career. when he gets back he will have to deal with whatever the catching situation is. We actually talked about him playing some outfield (not because of any other catchers in the organization) because it might allow him to relax more and not have to be so intense every pitch of every inning on defense and even in between pitches. He is a great athlete as I said, he has run 6.6 in HS and really isn't that far off that speed. He was slowed after the ankle injury but this winter he was running great and even had a stolen base (but over ran the base and was tagged out) so that is a possibility if the organization and he want to go that way, but you guys have a LOTTTT of OF prospects including Gamel. We shall see what happens, he leaves on Tuesday.
"Coach"

Hey Coach32..

Pass along my best to Angle. I actually talk often with him before the games here in Nashville. Tell him his friends on the 3rd base side near the dug-out give him our best. I miss my fist bump and 'fireworks' before first pitch at the games...

I have and will continue to root for Angel as I think he has the potential to be a truly special player while I see LuCroy as more of a solid MLB guy. As a Brewer fan, we would be fools not to want them both to succeed.

In terms of anxiety, I won't pretend to know what Angel is going through, but I have a family member who was misdiagnosed with ADD then finally with an anxiety disorder. The medicine and the side effects made everything an uphill battle for him. Things like getting out of bed, eating meals, and working out (things an MLB player has to do very well to succeed) are very difficult. I can't even imagine trying to call a game or be out on the diamond in general.

Again, not saying this is what is going on with Angel, but rather that I understand that most people simply can't understand what is going on inside the head of someone with a chemical imbalance. I wish him the best as a person and as a prospect. I will be rooting for his success in both aspects.

In terms of anxiety, I won't pretend to know what Angel is going through, but I have a family member who was misdiagnosed with ADD then finally with an anxiety disorder. The medicine and the side effects made everything an uphill battle for him. Things like getting out of bed, eating meals, and working out (things an MLB player has to do very well to succeed) are very difficult. I can't even imagine trying to call a game or be out on the diamond in general.
It's easy for someone who has not encountered this to hear the word anxiety and think of all the ordinary causes of anxiety and try to project them to this situation. The moral being always look before jumping to conclusions. I wish him well for his sake. The prospect business will take care of itself once he is well.

Anyone have any idea how long it usually takes to find the right drugs for something like this? I can't imagine it being too quick given the combination of different drugs and different doses that will take time and close monitoring to determine success. I just hope they make sure to dot all the i's and cross all the t's so that Angel doesn't loose 100 games for trying to get well.

It's easy for someone who has not encountered this to hear the word anxiety and think of all the ordinary causes of anxiety and try to project them to this situation. The moral being always look before jumping to conclusions. I wish him well for his sake. The prospect business will take care of itself once he is well.

Anyone have any idea how long it usually takes to find the right drugs for something like this? I can't imagine it being too quick given the combination of different drugs and different doses that will take time and close monitoring to determine success. I just hope they make sure to dot all the i's and cross all the t's so that Angel doesn't loose 100 games for trying to get well.

No kidding. My family member can push me in most sports and not show any fear skiing or playing hockey, but then something like a thunderstorm or room of people will freak him out for seemingly no reason.

From what I understand some people never find the right combination of drugs. Some "grow out of it" and some find help through counseling. It is different for everyone, but diagnosis is a great first step.

• 3 weeks later...

so . . . with the injury to zaun, and the fact that both braddock and lucroy are not on the 40-man roster, do you risk outrighting salome to the minor leagues to clear a spot on the 40-man roster?

provided another team doesn't claim him, he has to accept the assignment, right?

Brewer Fanatic Staff
so . . . with the injury to zaun, and the fact that both braddock and lucroy are not on the 40-man roster, do you risk outrighting salome to the minor leagues to clear a spot on the 40-man roster?

provided another team doesn't claim him, he has to accept the assignment, right?

He'd be the fastest waiver claim in Brewer history. No, they'll figure something out. It won't be Angel's 40-man spot.

whenever a team makes a waiver claim, they reserve the right to see his medical records, no?

what's going on with salome is obviously a matter that should be kept private from the fans, but would not inquiring mlb personnel be able to have access to salome's medical records prior to claiming him?

what i'm getting at is that if salome's condition is not promising, and that information is shared with other clubs, would that not serve as a deterrent to claiming him?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tom H. had an all-encompassing blog post -- some of these items are being discussed on the Major League Forum, but we'll paste in snippets where convenient depending on the topic:

*Many of you asked if anything would happen with catcher Angel Salome, now that Lucroy is no longer with Nashville. I reported a few weeks ago that Salome was assigned to extended spring training to work out some off-field issues regarding his mental preparedness after leaving the Sounds for a period for the birth of a child.

Ash said Salome will remain in extended spring training in Phoenix until deemed ready to play. Ash can't say much about Salome's situation because of confidentiality laws.

"He's still working on his physical conditioning while addressing his off-field issues," said Ash. "He's not ready (to replace Lucroy) yet. This is much different than having a broken arm and saying you'll be back in 4-6 weeks. We're literally taking this day by day."

Angel is doing fine and actually might play today as DH and will start playing for sure on Monday.
Congrats to Lucroy on a well deserved promotion, just shows you gotta be in the right place at the right time and of cause have some talent too. Hope to see angel with you real soon.
We clinched an undefeated season today after being tied at 14-0 and playing Thomas yesterday and today to both 3-1 games, today in 11. Next stop playoffs and another Championship
"Coach"

Thanks for the update coach and good luck in the post season.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It's really good news to hear Angel is coming back. He's been one of my favorite players to follow the past three seasons and I'd love to see what he can do with some regular playing time.

Angel is doing fine and actually might play today as DH and will start playing for sure on Monday
Might play at Nashville? Or in extended spring training?

I'd love to see Salome back in the box scores. He certainly adds some excitement to the Nashville offense - in particular, when Gamel and Salome are both back.

He's got to play in AZ first, make sure he can function with meds, then I guess they will move him. My guess would be a few games at various levels and ending at AAA unless Zaun is back and Lucroy goes back to Nashville, then I dont know what they will do.

Archived