Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy/Salome thread

battlekow

endaround has always been very negative about Salome, he once said that Salome would have washed out of the system if he wasn't a catcher because he didn't hit enough. Salome won't get demoted simply because he doesn't deserve to be demoted, it has nothing to do with value, or commitment to the team, he already led the Southern League in hitting, what else does he have to prove at AA? Let's not make a mountain out of an ant hill, people were critical of him when he didn't go home to be with his wife during Spring Training, now they are being critical again when he leaves for a short time because she's actually having the baby. This is a make or break year for Angel and he know's it, I'm not sure how he became the red headed step child around here, but my goodness cut the guy some slack.

I think both guys need to catch everyday, that's been my opinion all along. If the organization wants to jump Lucroy past Salome to MLB, that's fine by me, I don't see why any prospect has to spend extended time in AAA at all.

As for position switches, Lucroy is much more likely to be able to play 1B, but his bat would be very average for a 1B. Salome is very short, and short doesn't make a good 1B. Maybe he could make it in the OF he's regained some speed as coach32sm has suggested, but he's not an IF.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I don't see how you can platoon the two, which means one of them has to go. I don't like that scenario. I mentioned in the other thread that I would be fine moving Lucroy to first base even though his power numbers would be lower than most.

Something is going to have to give in the next two years though. Between McGehee, Escobar, Weeks, Gamel, Green, and Lawrie, plus Braun, Gomez, Cain, Schafer, Kentrail Davis, and Gindl, then obviously Lucroy and Salome, there is no room to put all of these players. A trade is going to have to happen to move some of these guys and try to get a true ace in return.

They could both split time in the majors. If there was a decent emergency catcher, whoever wasn't playing could be the RH pinch hitter in late innings. It would be great for double switches too. Its still a ways off. What I wonder is what do they do if Kottaras does well.
Formerly AKA Pete

Something is going to have to give in the next two years though. Between McGehee, Escobar, Weeks, Gamel, Green, and Lawrie, plus Braun, Gomez, Cain, Schafer, Kentrail Davis, and Gindl, then obviously Lucroy and Salome, there is no room to put all of these players. A trade is going to have to happen to move some of these guys and try to get a true ace in return.

That's been a theme in this minor league forum before, and I say don't hold your breath. Not saying these aren't very good prospects, just that they won't all be great major league players. Seems silly now, but I think I remember a few years back wondering how Dave Krynzel, Steve Moss, Jason Belcher, Brad Nelson, and Corey Hart were all going to fit in the same outfield as Jenkins and Podsednik.

As for Lucroy and Salome, isn't there always going to be a need for two catchers? I guess I don't see the absolute need to trade one, unless there's a good deal to be had and Kottaras proves to be a long-term option.

They could both split time in the majors. If there was a decent emergency catcher, whoever wasn't playing could be the RH pinch hitter in late innings. It would be great for double switches too. Its still a ways off. What I wonder is what do they do if Kottaras does well.

yeah i was thinking this too. One of the player platoons with Gamel at 1B and is the backup catcher 1 of 3 days. Then you have 3 young guys (Gamel, Lucroy, Salome) getting 66% playing time, barring injury.

Salome is just as likely to hit .430 in AA as Lucroy was. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have either of them there.
Not to work on their hitting. I think both could use the work behind the plate though. I don't think they would get enough work behind the plate if they were both on the same team.

people were critical of him when he didn't go home to be with his wife

during Spring Training, now they are being critical again when he leaves

for a short time because she's actually having the baby.

Nobody was critical of him for leaving his wife behind to go to Spring Training. They were critical of him saying he would miss the birth of his child to stay at Spring Training, which he didn't. You make it sound like the same people were critical of him no matter what. That is simply not true. Some thought he should see his child born, some liked his commitment to the Brewers.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I didn't make it sound like anything other than it is.

Some people complained both ways and the majority of the time he's the player that people want to trade.

Anything beyond that then you're reading more into what I wrote than I intended.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Salome is just as likely to hit .430 in AA as Lucroy was. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have either of them there.
Not to work on their hitting. I think both could use the work behind the plate though. I don't think they would get enough work behind the plate if they were both on the same team.
I think you pick the one you think is most likely to help in MLB in the near term and give him the lion's share of work behind the dish in AAA. Odds are he's going to be up during the year. While he's up, you'll have the other guy back to full time.

Either way, Salome needs at least another year of seasoning on defense. If Lucroy is the Brewers' everyday guy by the end of August, which I think he will be, you'll give Angel more time and I think it'll be a good fight between the two next spring.

paul253 wrote:

Isnt this the perfect situation: infield starters at 1B, 2B, 3B, and SS with two off the on the bench. Also LF, CF, and RF with room for one to be a bust and 2 bench players. This seems to be an ideal combinations for a 25man roster, 8 right handed hitters and 4 left handed hitters with a good mix of speed and power. If both Lucroy and Salome aren't busts they could split time behind the plate, which would reduce wear and tear.

infield starters at 1B, 2B, 3B, and SS with two off the on the

bench. Also LF, CF, and RF with room for one to be a bust and 2 bench

players. This seems to be an ideal combinations for a 25man roster,

Yeah but who are you going to put on the bench and play only once, maybe twice a week? I wouldn't want any young player to play that little. Plus, you'll need to fill some of the roster spots with some veterans like how Counsell and Edmonds are now. I hate the idea of trading any of these prospects unless it brings back very quality pitching but that's probably going to have to be what happens. I think you package one ofrtwo of these guys, probably either Green or Gamel and Cain or Schafter, along with Fielder to try to get two #2 ceiling pitchers. I know a lot of people think that no team will give up good young pitching, but a package of Fielder/Green/Schafer is nothing to scoff at.

As far as the Lucroy/Salome issue. Is there any chance one of them gets called up and Kottaras moves down? I'm sure I am not the only one who is sick of having an offensive black hole in the catcher's spot.

paul253 wrote:

As far as the Lucroy/Salome issue. Is there any chance one of them gets called up and Kottaras moves down? I'm sure I am not the only one who is sick of having an offensive black hole in the catcher's spot.

That would actually make a lot of sense. One of those two (probably Lucroy) would go against lefties and that way we dont have to watch Zaun attempt to hit from the right side (its almost as bad a Suppan in the rotation). Mid June or earlier Luccroy or Salome gets a promotion.

I was just coming to post the same thing. From the outside he seems like he is flaking a bit. He was also suppose to play Winter Ball but ended up traveling all the way for like 10 at bats. Something seems odd here.
This is what I was alluding to when I said it might be for the best for Salome to come back and start in AA again to prove his commitment. What I meant by commitment isn't necessarily that he isn't committed to playing...but it's worrisome that he barely played at all in winter ball, and has already missed a significant amount of time of this season. Lucroy deserves to start in AAA at this point, I don't know if you can say the same thing about Salome just based on the amount of playing time he's been able to achieve since last fall.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Yes, I hope he is doing fine and his family is well. It is just sometimes frustrating the lack of information we get on these types of situations. It just seems really odd.

All along I felt there seems to be more to the story here, as in something wrong with the pregnancy. I really hope I am wrong. Salome seems like a hard worker who has had some bad breaks. Hopefully everything is okay.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Normally we wouldn't link to audio in two separate threads, but Don Money sheds little to no light on the Angel Salome situation -- if anything, it's more cloudy now.

Angel was gone from the 11th to the 15th, and now from the 18th through at least the 29th. It's so hard, nearly impossible to comment on, because no pro baseball player would have missed that much time for a birth without complications to either the mother or child, so one can only hope everything's OK. It would be unfair to comment in any other fashion until more is known, but it sure makes for one of the more awkward absences we can ever remember.

Archived