Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy/Salome thread

battlekow
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So Tom makes it sound like a temporary promotion.....at least that's what it looks like to me.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather not see both of them splitting time at Nashville, if that's the plan. It wouldn't surprise me to see them try and rush Lucroy to the majors at this point though.

I haven't heard anything about Salome's defense for a while. Is there any chance he could be serviceable behind the plate?

Absolutely not. The last thing I want to see is for anyone to split time with Salome. He needs the AB's. As does Lucroy. I say either make this temporary or send Salome to AA after it's all over. Just don't let them ride the pine.

Why wouldn't we want both guys catching every day? I understand the whole offensive angle getting both players their ABs, but neither player has offensive questions about their game. Lucroy has come a long way defensively, but Salome definitely needs the work. If Lucroy stays in AAA then I hope they send Salome down, even though he doesn't deserve a demotion. He just needs to catch everyday possible.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Funketown, splitting time wouldn't hurt. Both deserve to be in AAA given their offensive exploits in AA. Additionally, most of their games are vs AL foes, so they feature a DH.
I hadn't realized that was the case with the DH. If they can each get 400-450 PA's this year in AAA between C, DH, and PH, then I don't have a problem with them splitting time. With Salome's injury history, that probably isn't at all out of the question.

Did you guys miss Invader's post? Salome is on the family inactive list.
I think people are confused because he was put on the inactive list for the birth of his child, then returned, and is now apparently back on the list.

That was because his child was not born during the first visit and he had to return to the team. Sometimes those babies have a schedule of their own.

Lucroy doesn't seem like a guy who will ever hit 20 HR's a season in MLB like Salome could, but he's a doubles machine... today playing for Nashville he's 1 for 3 with a double and RBI so far (and he has one throwing error)

Jim Callis:

JAYPERS (IL)

With Lucroy's

promotion to Nashville, where does that leave Salome? Which of them do

you see becoming Milwaukee's main catcher by this time next year?

Jim Callis
(2:09 PM)

Back

to Jaypers again . . . Salome isn't much of a prospect in my book. I

don't think he's more than a backup. I'm also not the biggest Lucroy

fan. I see him more as a decent regular but not anything special.

Salome's stock has fallen among analysts which likely means among some scouts as well. His mediocre year last year combined with his injury history has pushed his value down.

Salome's stock was never high with scouts or analysts to being with. He hit .360 as a C, led the Southern League in batting, all at an appropriate age and couldn't crack BA's top 100 prospects. This is nothing new, BA has never liked the guy, they wouldn't even include him in a hot sheet. It's too bad really, Angel is by all accounts an excellent young man, he's gone out of his way on numerous occasions to help his team mates and give back to the program he came from.

It's weird really, because MiLB really likes him, he's done more interviews for them than anyone else.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Salome's stock has fallen among analysts which likely means among some scouts as well. His mediocre year last year combined with his injury history has pushed his value down.

Salome's stock was never high with scouts or analysts to being with. He hit .360 as a C, led the Southern League in batting, all at an appropriate age and couldn't crack BA's top 100 prospects. This is nothing new, BA has never liked the guy, they wouldn't even include him in a hot sheet.

I actually thinks analyst are slow to warm up to Lucroy as well. If these two catchers played in the Cubs, Yankees, or Red Sox system they would get much more love.

Regardless of what most "analysts" are saying, it is evident that Salome's stock is still high with the Brewers, otherwise why would he have started the season in AAA? (especially when Lucroy was clearly ready for AAA ball himself)

I wouldn't. Placement really doesn't mean who is better than who. If anything this spring it looked like the Brewers are higher on Lucroy than Salome. But Salome's 2009 and his development point to him being at AAA in addition to the hit his value would take if demoted.

It seems like it was something of a wash to me. It did sound like the Brewers were higher on Lucroy. They made it clear that they wanted both guys starting, not have them platooning at AAA. That's the only reason Lucroy went to AA at the start of the season.

Frankly at this point with all his missed time, I'm wondering if Salome shouldn't go down to AA and prove his commitment to the team.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Angel is committed. I'm not sure how that isn't very obvious. Our 'Coach' buddy who posts here could attest to that and has.

Paul, the answer is you don't move either. The only possible moves are Angel to the OF, Lucroy to 1B, and Lucroy to the OF. Not very appealing at all. Jonny is the better rated defender, has had positive results, and seems to possess the ideal catcher physique. No way the Brewers move him off C unless Salome really proves himself a worthy defender sometime in the coming months.

Archived