Brewer Fanatic

Mike Cameron placed on DL with abdominal tear -- Latest: Out for the year

I feel bad for him. He's one of those "ultimate teammate" types who deserves to succeed. Get well and come back raking.

This could signal trouble for the Red Sox. Moving Ellsbury over shouldn't be a problem but who's in left and is he much better than a replacement level player? For a team like the Red Sox with serious aspirations, they could go into a funk--not that they're not already in a funk.

This is a big loss for them. Feel bad for Cam, but maybe this makes them panic at the deadline and overpay for Prince?
Well, that's a separate issue. With the way Ortiz is going so far this year, they may look for a guy like Prince sooner than later. That really doesn't help them in the outfield though.

I wonder if they'd have any interest in Corey Hart or even Jody Gerut at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This could signal trouble for the Red Sox. Moving Ellsbury over shouldn't be a problem but who's in left and is he much better than a replacement level player? For a team like the Red Sox with serious aspirations, they could go into a funk--not that they're not already in a funk.

Most Sox fans actually prefer Ellsbury in CF but at the moment he's not available either with his bruised ribs not healing as fast as they had hoped. Looks like they might have to make some sort of move to bolster the roster while both guys are out... and I suspect Hall playing CF is going to wear very thin on Sox fans since the guy has serious trouble catching the angles in which the ball comes off the bat out there.

I feel for Cameron, but I certainly won't cry over one of the biggest budget teams in baseball getting sidetracked by a couple of injuries. While it would be nice if the Brewers could benefit from Boston's misfortunes, they'd better not bend over to help them. I don't care if Gerut only has less than 10 ABs this year. If they want him, they should have to overpay for him, and then I'd only trade him if we were sure we have the depth in our system to overcome injuries or bad play we could have... it would've been nice to have had Gabe Gross to platoon with Corey Hart late in 2008.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Couple thoughts. First I hope Cam gets back sooner than later for Cam' sake. He was a good guy and decent all around player for us. IF Hall could get his foot in the door and show he has something left some good can come out of it. Hall is another guy I root for. It'd be great if he did end up with a good career.

As far as them getting desperate I don't think any team gets too desperate in the early going. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think too many trades go down in April or May. By June Cam will be back so about the time they may consider it they won't need it.

In any event I don't want to see Prince traded at all this season unless the team is like 10 games below .500 and 15 game out of a playoff spot at the deadline. Even then it better be a huge return. One that would obviously not be there in winter. Plenty of time to trade him in winter without screwing with our season.

If they want him, they should have to overpay for him, and then I'd only trade him if we were sure we have the depth in our system to overcome injuries or bad play we could have

While I understand the sentiment about large market teams who buy what ever they need there are other teams who will have Gerut type players available who won't demand overpayment. If it makes sense for the future without hurting the present I don't care what kind of deal it is for the Sox.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

While I understand the sentiment about large market teams who buy what ever they need there are other teams who will have Gerut type players available who won't demand overpayment. If it makes sense for the future without hurting the present I don't care what kind of deal it is for the Sox.

I wasn't looking at it so much as a big market/small market thing. It just seems Melvin sometimes (like the Gross deal) does things to be a "nice guy" to the player. I'd hate to see him trade Gerut so that he can get more PT somewhere else and then have us need Gerut's services down the stretch. I'm biased in that I think Gerut could be a good player if given some playing time.

As for the Red Sox, if it looks like either of Cameron or Ellsbury will miss significant PT (as it appears Cameron will), I'd guess they'll first try out their AAA guys. When/if that doesn't cut it, they'll scour the remaining free agents such as Dye, who could probably get around well enough to play LF in Fenway and could put up monster numbers in that park.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 3 months later...
Billy Hall is putting up a very 'Cameron like' season at this point. Striking out a ton with a low batting average, but hitting some homers with a pretty good OPS. Sure he doesn't have the on-field charisma that Cammy had and likes to carouse a little bit, but I think it's pretty safe to say that he's going to be the better player from this point forward. From the Red Sox point of view, I'm sure that it doesn't hurt that the Brewers are paying his salary either.

Archived