Brewer Fanatic

Triple AAA Random Thought

Yesterday's off day got me thinking about random things in baseball rather than the Brewers team and performance specifically. As I was thinking, I came across the idea of Minor League teams and their location, proximity and relationship to the parent team. As I was thinking about it, I began to ponder the possibilities of the Brewers one day having a Triple AAA franchise located in Wisconsin somewhere. While I am unaware of the current status with Nashville regarding their facilities and the lease with the team there and the realities of the situation, I was thinking of the enjoyability of having the team in state rather than in Tennessee.

Looking at all MLB teams, these teams have Triple AAA teams in the same state as the parent club:

NL West

Giants (Fresno),

Rockies (Colorado Springs),

NL Central

Astros (Round Rock),

NL East

Braves (Gwinnett),

Mets (Buffalo)

Phillies (Lehigh Valley)

AL West

A's (Sacramento)

Mariners (Tacoma)

AL Central

Indians (Columbus)

AL East

Now I understand that isn't a lot of teams, but those are just teams with teams located in the same state. This doesn't take into account teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Reds, Tigers, Cubs, Cardinals, Royals and Rangers where the team's Triple AAA affiliate is located in what could be argued that teams home region.

I for one would love to see a Triple AAA Brewers affiliate in the state (Madison? Green Bay?) as it would provide another avenue to see Brewers prospects after they leave Appleton but before they get to Milwaukee.

I agree this would be an interesting concept. I wonder if the brief success of the T-Rats/ Brewers relationship would make this a more likely possibility down the line. I grew up near Des Moines and I know that the Cubs have a huge fan base in Iowa due to their AAA affiliate being the Iowa Cubs. Madison would seem to be a good fit, but lacks a suitable park. It might also be difficult to find a good location to build in Madison with the limited building sites close to the city. Warner Park where the Mallards play is in a decent location, but would require a complete tear down and new construction to be a decent facility for affiliated baseball.

Davenport Iowa came to mind for me right away. But the Quad Cities River Bandits are the Cards A affiliate there, so that probably makes better sense. Still, the original Davenport team was a Milwaukee Braves affiliate, and the area is pretty large.

Perhaps a better possibility is Cedar Rapids. They built a new stadium that opened in 2002 and seats 5,300 not counting standing room only. CR is 2-1/2-3 hours from Madison right down 151. The Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area has pretty much grown into one metro, though the cities are 20-25 miles apart. take it from someone who's lived in lot of places in Iowa, it's far and away the best area to live. Population must be approaching 200,000 by now.

They are currently the Angels affiliate, which makes no sense. The area, like much of Iowa, is big on the Cubs. But it's always bothered me the Brewers, who are squeezed out by other teams, never really marketed in the Eastern Iowa.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2010/01/18/2Yn9pw8A.jpg

Community Moderator

Madison seems like the obvious choice, as it has the highest concentration of Brewers fans outside of the Milwaukee metro area. It is a great baseball town, as I see people wearing Brewers gear everywhere and I-94 is always packed with Brewers fans driving into Milwaukee on game days. Brewers games are also shown prominently at sports bars.

The Mallards are also well-supported. They average around 6,000 fans/game, for a total of around 200,000 per summer. Therefore, to be comparable with other AAA cities, Madison would have to keep their current average attendance, but for triple the number of games, for a total of around 600,000 per year.

I like the idea, but I think it is nice to have the AAA team in Nashville, as we provide them with hockey players and they give us baseball players. Madison also is too small of a city to support a AAA team, especially since it is within a quick drive of Miller Park. The new AAA team would be competing directly with the Brewers for revenue and it would likely not win very many new fans, since everyone here is already either a Brewers fan or a transplant/college student with an allegiance to the Twins/Cubs/White Sox.

Bringing in a single-A or double-A affiliate to Madison would be something worth considering, since it would bring in Brewers prospects instead of college baseball players, while using a slightly-upgraded version of the current ballpark. Still, there would be changes, since those who have been to a Mallards game know that they can get away with gimmicks that would not be possible with a team affiliate. If the Mallards were to change their extremely casual atmosphere, it may scare away some fans. The Mallards are also responsible for about 1/4 of the Northwoods League attendance, so there is also an issue with potentially damaging the NW league revenue.

Unfortunately, there really isn't a city in Wisconsin that is suitable for a AAA team. The best idea I can think of is to get a AAA team in a northern Chicago suburb. Chicago is a huge city and most Cubs fans attend less games than Brewers fans due to the small size of the ballpark and high prices. I think there would be a big market down there for affordable minor league baseball, and it is within driving distance for most Brewers fans.

I would love the chance to see the Brewers prospects more often.

On the flip side though, I actually kind of like the way that a lot of AAA teams are located in fairly large cities that do not have MLB nearby. It seems fair to spread out the talent pool so that people across the country have a chance to see a high level of baseball. Nashville, for example, is about 4-5 hours from Cincinnati or Atlanta, and they don't have an MLB team in state. Other AAA cities that are well distanced from MLB include New Orleans, Albequerque, OK City, Charlotte, Durham, SLC, Memphis, Vegas. If Madison gets the Brewers AAA affiliate, then what happens to baseball in Nashville?

don't cities gain and lose minor-league teams with at least some regularity, though? the New Orleans Zephyrs come to mind.

i'm also thinking that minor-league fans care more about that team's winning percentage than its affiliation with an MLB team, and Nashville would be better off not with the Braves as a parent club, but with any MLB team that has a track record of fielding good AAA teams.

i definitely agree it'd be cool to get to see the prospects often. i live in North Carolina and finally had the money/opportunity to see a West Virginia game, but they moved just a bit too soon. but for the handful of Single-A games i attend around here, i can't say i've overheard any fan comment on a player's draft round and scouting report. a bf.netter would, but we're atypical.

i'm also thinking that minor-league fans care more about that team's winning percentage than its affiliation with an MLB team, and Nashville would be better off not with the Braves as a parent club, but with any MLB team that has a track record of fielding good AAA teams.

I don't know if the winning percentage is a big deal. As long as the team doesn't suck every year, I think that isn't a huge deal. IIRC the Brewers really enjoy being in the city of Nashville (the stadium issue is another matter). I do think being in a place like Nashville makes more sense for logistical purposes. The Brewers don't want to see a lot of AAA games rained/snowed out and also it is a central location. If they need to call someone up, Nashville is a pretty central location to be in all things considered. I would not see the Brewers really ever leaving Nashville...if their stadium was up to par. I fully anticipate the Brewers leaving Nashville after this year unless some type of new stadium deal is struck.

I do agree moving any type of minor league team closer to the parent would be ideal in a perfect world. It does take the right environment/location to support minor league baseball.

I suggested once Madison could be the AAA team if Mark a were to start his own TV channel to broadcast the Brewers. They could even schedule the Madison team on the road if the Brewers were home. In the PCL, they'd often be able to do the Brewers, a quick postgame, and then the AAA guys out west. With the minors getting no coverage unless you search, you could always tape-delay them as well.

The most realistic option is Appleton, which could be expanded and I hear is better than many AAA facilities. Teams can own their AAA affiliate, and you'd likely need this to make it a permanent arrangement.

Looking at all MLB teams, these teams have Triple AAA teams in the same state as the parent club:

Every time I read this....I say triple triple A. Hurts my brain.

I think having a minor league club close to home is fun. Its a nice way to catch some games and look at the future of the club.

I don't know if the winning percentage is a big deal. As long as the team doesn't suck every year, I think that isn't a huge deal. IIRC the Brewers really enjoy being in the city of Nashville (the stadium issue is another matter). I do think being in a place like Nashville makes more sense for logistical purposes. The Brewers don't want to see a lot of AAA games rained/snowed out and also it is a central location. If they need to call someone up, Nashville is a pretty central location to be in all things considered. I would not see the Brewers really ever leaving Nashville...if their stadium was up to par. I fully anticipate the Brewers leaving Nashville after this year unless some type of new stadium deal is struck.

Weather wise... as a season ticket holder over the last 4 years I think I've seen no more then 4 games games rained out. As far as moving players around we have non-stop flights to MKE....and Huntsville is a short drive south

I think it's one of those things that would be "nice" in theory, but just doesn't seem that practical based on population of other cities in Wisconsin. At least they already have the Timber Rattlers as a single A affiliate, so that helps if guys need rehab stints, etc.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I know that Atlanta has had a lot of success scouting and developing local talent. I don't know what effect having a local AAA team has on this, but it certainly can't hurt.
Atlanta is a hotbed of youth baseball talent. I doubt it has much to do with having a local AAA team.

I think it's one of those things that would be "nice" in theory, but just doesn't seem that practical based on population of other cities in Wisconsin. At least they already have the Timber Rattlers as a single A affiliate, so that helps if guys need rehab stints, etc.
If I am not mistaken Nashville and Huntsville are bigger markets than Milwaukee. I agree that it is in our best interest to leave the teams where they are as long as the stadiums are up to par.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If I am not mistaken Nashville and Huntsville are bigger markets than Milwaukee. I agree that it is in our best interest to leave the teams where they are as long as the stadiums are up to par.

Milwaukee's Metro is larger than both(huntsville at 396k), but Nashville is basically a push.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Weather wise... as a season ticket holder over the last 4 years I think I've seen no more then 4 games games rained out. As far as moving players around we have non-stop flights to MKE....and Huntsville is a short drive south

Oh I agree. I've been to a lot of Sounds games and a few Stars games and I agree with both statements. It works well.

The Sounds need a new park though...the stadium is bad...very bad. I'm not sure if Nashville is going to build a new one though. My guess is that it won't come together in time for Milwaukee to decide on their next location.

I wonder if players actually prefer living in Nashville to Milwaukee.

From what I know, they really enjoy the Nashville area. Some longer tenured Brewers minor leaguers have made their year-round homes in the Nashville area. I don't know if they like living in Nashville better as a whole because I get the feeling that being demoted from a team like Milwaukee and the facilities they have to Nashville...has to be terrible. I know being demoted isn't fun, but the Sounds just don't have the facilities to make it all that enjoyable IMO. I think if all things were equal (i.e. Nashville had at least adequate facilities) players would prefer Nashville? Just a guess...

Archived