Brewer Fanatic

Huntsville Fab Five: Historically good?

Kricket755
After glancing over the boxscores for the Starts this year, it is hard not to notice how ridiculously consistent the quintet of Cain, Lawrie, Gindl, Lucroy, and Green has been at reaching base. Over the last nine games, each one of them have individually reached base via hit or walk at least once during a game in 43 of their combined 44 chances (97.7%). Caleb Gindl's 0-4 performance on the 17th was the only exception. (Lucroy sat on the 16th therefore there isn't 45 chances). Over the course of all 11 games, they are 50 for 53 in reaching base during the course of a game, for a success rate of 94.3%. I have no way of putting this into any kind of historical perspective, nor is this useful for anything specific. It's just another interesting way of noting we have a polished, special group of kids batting 1 through 5 right now in Huntsville.

I've been closely following Huntsville this year, both for the 5 you mentioned and the pitching. The prospects may not have the upside that the Huntsville team had a few years ago with Gamel/LaPorta/Brantley/Salome but at this point they are just as good, I think. I think Cain is the first to move up, once Logan Schafer comes back. I'd really, really love to see Lucroy move to a different position so we could keep both him and Salome as everyday players. I don't really see where he could go though....first base? Corner outfield? I'm really impressed Lawrie has been able to hold his own so far. He's not putting up all-star numbers quite yet, but considering how young he is for AA ball, I am very satisfied with his progress. Green has been a favorite of mine for awhile now. One stat that has really stuck out to me so far is the contact they have all been making. Lucroy: 3 k's in 42 at bats. Gindl: 2 k's in 45 at bats. Green: 7 k's in 39 at bats. All three with either more walks than k's or the same number.

I think Lucroy's value dips a fair amount if he moves to a different position. He is a plus hitter as a catcher but at a corner OF he would be average at best and he would be below average at 1B due to his lack of power.

I think Lucroy's value dips a fair amount if he moves to a
different position. He is a plus hitter as a catcher but at a corner OF
he would be average at best and he would be below average at 1B due to
his lack of power.

I remember saying something about this before, but I think his trade value would dip if he changed positions, but his value to the Brewers would not. What difference does it make if your first basemen hits 30 home runs or your second basemen hits 30 home runs? Let's say Brett Lawrie sticks at second base. You'd have an above average power hitting second basemen and a below average power hitting first basemen. Plus you'd have Salome at catcher, and he'd probably be above average power wise for a catcher. So even though Lucroy would be below average power-wise for a first basemen, you'd have other positions make up for it. I think you need to put your 8 best hitters out there, no matter where they play.

What difference does it make if your first basemen hits 30 home runs or your second basemen hits 30 home runs?
It is easier and cheaper to find a first baseman that hits 30 home runs than a second baseman that does so.

It is easier and cheaper to find a first baseman that hits 30 home

runs than a second baseman that does so.

Yeah so if you already have the second basemen, and you can more easily find the first basemen, wouldn't that favor the Brewers? If one of them walks, you let it be the first basemen and find his replacement. Again, it would hurt his trade value because his offensive numbers wouldn't be as comparable to other first basemen, But his value to the Brewers would be the same no matter what position he plays.

Yeah so if you already have the second basemen, and you can more easily find the first basemen, wouldn't that favor the Brewers? If one of them walks, you let it be the first basemen and find his replacement. Again, it would hurt his trade value because his offensive numbers wouldn't be as comparable to other first basemen, But his value to the Brewers would be the same no matter what position he plays.
Yes, the first baseman is easier to replace, which is why you want your prospect to play the hardest position he can hack it at, in this case catcher. Lucroy's bat is much more special as a catcher; as a first baseman, his upside would be, I don't know, a right-handed Scott Hatteberg?

Well I don't want to argue about it. I'll just say I'd be perfectly fine with moving Lucroy to first base or outfield if it means being able to keep both him and Salome. I think both of them have very special bats and need to find their way into Milwaukee's lineup.

very special bats
I think the disagreement probably comes in here. "Very special" will play anywhere (the usual "lower the supply at a postition the better" disclaimer still applies). They seem to project to be good hitting catchers; but look to probably be average or more likely below average at a position like first base. If they are "very special" the Brewers will find a place for both in the lineup or won't have a problem netting a big return in a trade thus shifting the talent to a position of need.

If they are "very special" the Brewers will find a place for both

in the lineup or won't have a problem netting a big return in a trade

thus shifting the talent to a position of need.

And that's what we will find out soon enough. I just can't bring myself to hoping that one of them gets traded. I just assumed Lucroy would be the one to move because from what I've read about Salome and his stature (5'8'' and built like a machine) he's really unable to move anywhere else.

Melvin woulnt have been talking about moving Lucroy from AA to the majors if Lucroy couldn't be an average catcher. Salome would be first to change positions. My prediction is that both Lucroy and Salome will start at AAA (DH and C), Lucroy will catch 60% of the games and Salome will catch the other 40%. Less wear and tear will be good for both of them.

Archived