Brewer Fanatic

How long til Braddock gets called up? -- Latest: Braddock Up Sunday, Stetter Down, Gamel to 60 day DL

uwisfan
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Zaun injury messed things up, as Braddock didn't jump on a plane last night and won't be with the team in Minnesota, at least not today. As already speculated elsewhere, the team may be making some other roster moves to make a spot for Zach.

BA & Rock have mentioned on the broadcast that Vargas/Peterson tweaked his mechanics, sacrificing some velocity for more movement on his FB. Whether they're right or not is another story.

If that is the case, it makes me very concerned about Peterson. Vargas was terrific for us last year. Why not leave well enough alone?

Peterson doesn't leave anyone alone. He tried to change Johan Santana's delivery, which is why he isn't the pitching coach of the Mets anymore. Some of his former pitchers (like Mulder) love him and some hate him. Personally, I'd rather he only mess with the mechanics of pitchers who aren't doing their job, and I think he could definitely be part of the reason some of our pitchers aren't pitching as well. But, the Brewers knew what they were getting when he was hired, and I think it's a system-wide change, so hopefully his methods pay off in the future.

He doesn't have anything to do with our team defense, which is our pitchers' main problem, so I guess I won't be too down on him :-)

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Personally, I'd rather he only mess with the mechanics of pitchers who aren't doing their job, and I think he could definitely be part of the reason some of our pitchers aren't pitching as well.

I guess the question is then if you trust him to improve the pitchers who aren't performing well? Because if you trust him to try to improve them, why only improve underperforming people? Wouldn't it stand to reason he could improve people who are performing well too, if he sees somewhere they can improve?

I'm not necessarily trying to defend Peterson's methods, because I don't know enough about them/him, but I think it's a legit question.

Community Moderator
I believe when Peterson was hired, he made comments to the effect of 'I only would agree to take the job if the organization committed itself top-to-bottom' to my methods' or something like that. So I think it implies that no one would be safe from his tinkering.

I admittedly know nothing about being a pitching coach. I really hope Peterson can turn around what has been a horrific system for drafting pitchers and getting them to become successful MLB pitchers. It just seems odd that if someone is a very good pitcher that you would want to change it. It's sort of like a hitting coach telling Jeff Bagwell to stop hitting from his goofy crouch. You don't coach someone to do it, but you don't change a (potential) future Hall of Famer who is doing it.

Pure speculation, but since Hoffman is "on the sidelines working with Peterson," I think there's a good chance that Peterson changed something in Hoffman's delivery before the season which is screwing him up, and now they're trying to fix it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

It just seems odd that if someone is a very good pitcher that you would want to change it. It's sort of like a hitting coach telling Jeff Bagwell to stop hitting from his goofy crouch. You don't coach someone to do it, but you don't change a (potential) future Hall of Famer who is doing it.

As best I understand, Peterson's m.o. is to get pitchers working with deliveries that most minimize injury risk. While like you say, you wouldn't coach a stance like Bagwell's, it's not something that put him at real risk for injury either. The case with Vargas getting more movement on his pitches definitely illustrates that Peterson also works to try & improve stuff, but my answer to 'why mess with success?' is that perhaps he's seeing injury red flags. Just a thought.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What a lame excuse. Are you telling me they won't DFA a pitcher carrying an ERA over 8 on the 21st of May?

They have 13 pitchers on the roster, but in reality, they have 10, since 3 guys aren't trusted to pitch in close games.

Melvin and this bunch need to go.

I was thinking the Zaun thing put Melvin in a zim-zam. What to do with all those ineffective pitchers... that's going to take Melvin a while to figure out.

Can't wait to see Vargas/Suppan/Hoffman blow a game(s) wide open this weekend. Deal with myself... the second I see either of these three take the mound, I'm turning my attention away. Maybe to Google Pac Man.

I was thinking the Zaun thing put Melvin in a zim-zam.

Classic. Yeah I can just see Vargas or Suppan or Hoffman coming in and blowing a game or two. I just don't see why this Zaun move stops you from upgrading your relief pitching by DFA'ing Suppan or Vargas and bringing in Braddock.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

So was Braddock told he was heading to the show, got to the airport, then called back because the old catcher in Milwaukee's arm just fell off, and they will be sending Lucroy up instead?

I would hate for Melvin to have to multitask. Handling two roster moves at once must be tough.

I just don't see why this Zaun move stops you from upgrading your relief pitching
They are totally related! By not bringing up Braddock just yet, they still have the opportunity to audition Soup and Vargas to see who stinks worse. Or.....see who is the better emergency catcher?

Maybe to Google Pac Man.
Way off topic I know, but that's all I've done this afternoon, I just stumbled into it around 13:00. There was something to be said for these incredibly cheesy but simple video games.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

So was Braddock told he was heading to the show, got to the airport, then called back because the old catcher in Milwaukee's arm just fell off, and they will be sending Lucroy up instead?

I would hate for Melvin to have to multitask. Handling two roster moves at once must be tough.

That is EXACTLY what happened...

You'd think with all the pitchers they used tonight that they would call up Braddock...
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

That is EXACTLY what happened...

Wow that is aweful... Could you imagine what that would be like and the emotional rollercoster? I hope he takes it in stride and it doesn't affect him at all on the mound. I say this because this was suppose to be the day he has waited for his whole life, he gets to the airport, butterflies in his stomach and just pure excited that he about to be a major league player and DM gives him a call right before boarding the plain, "Hey sorry, you will no longer be promoted, keep working hard and hopefully you will be up soon" type of ordeal. Talk the disappointment, man that would be a kick to the nuts.

The one thing I can't figure out is who was he going to replace because it was 100% not Stern nor was it Zaun?! How could this not of happened just because Lucroy came up for Zaun? I get that Lucroy took Riske spot on the 40 man roster but if they were really about to demote someone in the bullpen for him, you'd think they would have made it happen still. I really want to know who he was replacing and now we will never know! I personally feel Cruz and Heether are expandable from the 40 man and Soup once again showed how worthless he is again tonight.

Quick question for ya aintbize if your willing to answer... How exactly do you know Braddock? Same town, high school friend, college friend, family friend, or etc. I am just curious because you always have insider type info on all his threads over the past few years. If you don't want't to answer thats fine also.

Archived