Brewer Fanatic

How long til Braddock gets called up? -- Latest: Braddock Up Sunday, Stetter Down, Gamel to 60 day DL

uwisfan
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could be the day the charade of Suppan and Vargas ends. You can't have 2 guys on your staff you can't use in close games much less 3 and it's not getting value paying $14 million for mopup innings here and there. I think they're both gone.

It may have taken a 9 game losing streak for management to see what should have been done earlier. Hopefully Axford, Braddock, Estrada, and Villanueva will stabilize the pen to the point where Hoffman too becomes an afterthought and he's let loose.

With the aged Edmonds and Zaun both on the DL, will Melvin finally have learned a lesson that in the post steroid era you can't count on 40 year olds to be any more than pinch hitters? They break down playing 4-5 times a week.

Even going into next year, you'll have Coffey, Hawkins, Stetter, Axford, Villanueva, and a long guy. That leaves one, maybe two spots which could easily be filled elsewhere.
I would hope the Brewers trade away a bullpen guy if the usual overpaying for pitching exists at the trading deadline. Assuming the guys get their acts together to be tradeable. If that was the case, there would be room in 2011.

I'm liking Colby's scoop here, but there's nothing official anywhere yet about this.

Is this official enough for you? Link

Lucroy and Braddock are not on 40-man roster and

that roster is full, so two players must be removed. Interesting moves

coming.

Man only if Wooten was healthy, we could have seen Axford, Braddock, and him all up sometime this season and got a nice glimpse of our actual home grown future bullpen not to forget if Fiers was kept in the bullpen he could have made a fast rise (as a starter still has a shot to make a Butler type jump i believe based on his performance and age) I'd love a bullpen that is inexpensve, home grown, and gets the job done. I have a ton of confidence in Axford, Braddock, Wooten, Villanueva, Stetter, and I am a homer for Jones (just can't stop believing in him) then McClendon and Kintzler are two that are catching my eye right now.

I am really excited for Braddock, I just hope he can cut out those massive blow out innings from last season, AFL, the one game this year. He is so good for so many games but then he will get absolutely shelled, go back to not giving up any runs or hits for another 10 games, then blow up. He he can limit those in the majors I have no doubt that we are looking at a very good closer for years to come!

Good to see they're finally taking talent over age and cost. In addition to these moves (Stetter, Axford and now Braddock) actually making our bullpen better, they also give us some flexibility. If the bullpen gets overused, we now will have four players with options so that we could bring up a fresh arm for a while, instead of being contractually stuck with trotting the same arms out there.

Axford has been refreshing. It's wonderful to see someone out there with a real fastball. After facing the rest of our staff, his 97 MPH heater had to look about 120. I really hope he is not the one sent back down. He's 27, so servcie time cannot be much of an issue for him. Like many others, I hope either Vargas or Suppan is sacrificed, as they are the weakest links at this point, although I could see Estrada being sent back down to continue starting in case he's needed in that role later in the year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Just wanted to post a feel-good note about Braddock. He's struck out 28 batters in 16 AAA innings (15.8 K/9) this season, and 281 in 214 career MiLB innings (11.8 K/9). This guy is absolutely filthy.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think Vargas needs to be DFA, he just hasn't got his job done and the Brewers are to cheap to DFA Suppan because of the money they have invested into him. Cruz and Heether really don't need spots on the 40-man roster

Too bad Vargas has struggled. He was a real bright spot at the end of last year, but he is the likely candidate. He's only 31 so it's not like he's ancient, but he hasn't added much value. Maybe they could find a way to get him to Nashville. It's a higher mental block to release Suppan given his salary. Plus, they do need someone to sop up innings in blowouts...they've sure had enough of them. They could also use an extra starter for another month or so until Davis is back, they know if Parra will stick and we find out if anything is up with Bush (I'm a little wary of him right now, he doesn't appear to be the same). Could also see Estrada go down just because they may not need the extra righty this weekend. Doesn't mean he wouldn't be back in a couple weeks.

Vargas pitched pretty well at the end of last season. I don't think they're ready to cut ties with him just yet.

My prediction would be Riske to 60 day DL, Vargas to the DL, Cruz DFA, and Stern sent down.

Vargas pitched pretty well at the end of last season. I don't think they're ready to cut ties with him just yet.
Yes, which is why it's so surprising how bad he's been this year. He just doesn't have much upside, so if they DFA him, I don't think it's any big loss. It seems like they have better reliever options in Axford and Braddock at this point anyway.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

BA & Rock have mentioned on the broadcast that Vargas/Peterson tweaked his mechanics, sacrificing some velocity for more movement on his FB. Whether they're right or not is another story.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

BA & Rock have mentioned on the broadcast that Vargas/Peterson tweaked his mechanics, sacrificing some velocity for more movement on his FB. Whether they're right or not is another story.

If that is the case, it makes me very concerned about Peterson. Vargas was terrific for us last year. Why not leave well enough alone?

After watching Vargas from behind home plate in the Dodgers series I can confirm that he definitely has a lot of movement on his fastball - as much as I've ever seen from anyone. Almost too much, to the point of sacrificing control. At LA he was hitting 91 but it was moving a lot.

Until the disaster at Philly Vargas was actually having a good month of May.

Archived